Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mradventure Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 11:35 AM
    What White Metal Should I Choose for an Engagement Ring?
    I'm new to the Ask Me Help Desk, but I'm hoping someone can help!
    I've been researching engagement rings, and I am really curious for some input on what the best white metal to get for the band/setting would be. I'm leaning toward platinum, but what would you go with? Platinum or white gold? What have been your experiences with the two?
    Thanks for your help!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:37 AM

Platinum! Love it but very expensive.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:40 AM

I like platinum or tri gold

I don't know what is most durable.
    I heard that platinum is more valuable than gold (at least sometimes)

I would go with finding what you like and the metal secondary unless you are getting it custom made.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:41 AM

I love my white gold ring. I've only had it about 6 months but no complaints so far. But I've got to admit, if platinum had been in the budget, I'd have gone for platinum.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 11:48 AM

Ask yourself this do you want to spend the money on the metal or the diamond? I got my wife white gold because I was able to get a much bigger, clearer, and flawless diamond. If I would have went with Platinum she wouldn't have a diamond that makes peoples jaws drop!!

Jul 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
    Thanks for the input! I think my wife-to-be would probably prefer to have me spend money on a high-quality metal and a smaller diamond... I think she's more into the symbolism behind the ring than anything else. So I think it's going to be platinum... it's the most durable precious metal and the most rare. It's also really cheap right now, which is cool for me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 28, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Remember that with Platinum you have to have a service contract. Platinum has to be serviced approx every 6 months, if not, and there is damage, you have lost your money. So, spending is not a one time thing... you have to continue to pay for a service contract. Since platinum is so expensive, it is besst that you also have insurance on the ring.

My sister has a platinum ring, loves it, but the hassle of getting it to a jeweler who is part of her contract (almost impossible since she has moved from USA to Dubai), has gotten to be just too much of a hassle. She says that she would have loved the same cut set in white gold.

Jul 29, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Remember that with Platinum you have to have a service contract. Platinum has to be serviced approx every 6 months, if not, and there is damage, you have lost your money. So, spending is not a one time thing...you have to continue to pay for a service contract. Since platinum is so expensive, it is besst that you also have insurance on the ring.
    How interesting... it sounds like this is a vendor-specific thing, as I haven't encountered any jewelers or websites yet that have mentioned needing a service contract (or repairs every six months). Also, it seems like platinum requires much less upkeep than other metals, since it's so durable and doesn't ever need to be redipped. But thanks for your input, I'll definitely be looking into insurance.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 11:38 AM

My ring has to be taken in to be cleaned and inspected every six months too, my little white gold ring. But it doesn't cost anything. I think my boyfriend might have paid extra for the contract when he bought it but I didn't have to pay anything when I took it in. he bought it from Kay Jeweler's. So I just have to take it back there.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mradventure View Post
    How interesting... it sounds like this is a vendor-specific thing, as I haven't encountered any jewelers or websites yet that have mentioned needing a service contract (or repairs every six months). Also, it seems like platinum requires much less upkeep than other metals, since it's so durable and doesn't ever need to be redipped. But thanks for your input, I'll definitely be looking into insurance.
    It's not vendor specific. They hit you with it when you buy it. You need to be informed before you go shopping. Start asking the vendors about this when you are shopping, it will open your eyes.
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 02:04 AM
    I would go for platinum as platinum is more durable than white gold and white gold is allergic to sensitive skin, although white gold is lighter in weight than platinum!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No engagement ring [ 34 Answers ]

I want to propose marriage to my girlfriend, but I cannot afford an engagement ring. Is there etiquette around this and/or how do I arrange a still heartfelt proposal?

Engagement Ring [ 3 Answers ]

What law applies when one party lives in a state where the ring is a conditional gift and the other lives in a state where it is based on who calls it quits?

Engagement Ring [ 5 Answers ]

I was curious if I can get it back. The thing is I live in NY and the girl I am Engaged to is in another country... what should I do and can I get the ring back? TT

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

View more questions Search