Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amcarney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Credit App not accepted, but now liable
    Long story... My husband and I have good credit. He was 24% owner of a Sub-S Corp and Secretary of a Family-run business. Business was struggling. He was coerced/bullied (by his father and his brother) into completing a credit application so that their primary supplier would continue to supply the business with parts and supplies. His brother's credit was lousy - and since his brother was the primary signer, the loan was declined. Fastforward 6 months his brother died. When he brother died, we found out that his brother had stolen well over $100,000 from the business. Additionally, the office manager forged my father-in-laws signature and my husband's signature on some checks. Her theft totals about $46,000. My husband and his father finally agree 4 months later that the business is unrecoverable. Business declares bankruptcy... now because my husband signed a loan application, the supplier is saying that he guaranteed past debts... even though the loan was never finalized. We are now being sued for over $80,000. We have retained counsel and will be fighting this, but what can we do?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 10:09 AM

It sounds like you already doing what you can... retain counsel and fight it in court.

While the theft is unfortunate, it sounds like it is irrelevant to the lawsuit. What it seems that it will come down to is how the application process went. If there was already an account established and there was already money owed on the account, your husband may have been added to the account in order to apply for further credit. In which case, he may now be liable for the what is owed on the account.

It will all come out in the fine print.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm being sued over credit card debt. Is my husband liable? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served a law suit over a credit card that I could not pay. My husband did not know about the card, was not a card holder and did not sign anything for the credit card company. I live in Pennsylvania. The house and cars are all in his name alone. Our bank accounts are joint. I am an...

I have been accepted but . [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've been accepted to one the US's graduate institute. I was doing well in the process until my organization refused to pay for my first semester payment. The institution has awarded me of $ 15,600 already, but they expect me to pay the first semester payment be it from external or personal....

192.168.1.0/username not accepted [ 1 Answers ]

I am able to get to the "website" but when I enter the user (admin) it does not work. Any suggestions??

Contract not accepted [ 1 Answers ]

I am the buy of a home under a sales contract that has a contingency. I had to cancel the contract for other reasons but the seller is holding me to the contract. I noticed that I have signed the contract, but do not have a signed and accepted contract from the seller. The copy that the seller...

Apology not accepted [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have this guy that I recently met who became one of my good friends in a short period. He was nice and we got along together... I loved it. But then he told me he liked me and I didn't know how to handle that. You might say "oh, just tell him that you want him as a friend and blah, blah,...

View more questions Search