Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Me_ Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Restraining order
    I was just wondering about how to go about getting a restraining order against someone. Do you have to go through court and all that? Or can you just fill some paper work out? How complicated and/or hard is it?
    _Me_ Posts: 107, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Restraining order
    I was just wondering about how to go about getting a restraining order against someone. Do you have to go through court and all that? Or can you just fill some paper work out? How complicated and/or hard is it?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 08:42 AM
    Domestic Violence Shelter's can assist you if it is an intimate partner.

Yes, restraining orders are done through your courthouse. Your courthouse might also offer assistance for filing for a restraining order, which typically is granted on a temporary basis and then following a court appearance by all parties, it can be lengthened at that time.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 08:54 AM

It's not difficult but may be time consuming (all depending on how busy the court is that day).

Typically you go and fill out the paperwork and then you are assigned a time to have your case heard before a judge (usually the same day) and they make the decision to grant the order or not.
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Jul 22, 2009, 09:02 AM

You will need to go to court to get a restraining order. You can go pick up the paperwork and fill it out and then take it to court and get a court date. I didn't have to pay for mine when I filed it or got it granted, but I was in a Domestic Violence Shelter and they guided me through the process and I had no money going there, so I am not sure if there is a cost. You will have to appear in court twice at least if I remember correctly. The person I was getting the restraining order against never showed up to contest it, so I got it granted to me.

I do remember filling out a lot of paperwork though and having to write a statement of what my abuser did to me and why I needed the restraining order against him. It wasn't hard for me to get mine, but my circumstances may be different than yours. I was in a DV Shelter and my daughter's father was a threat to me and my child, plus he never showed. So, it all depends on the circumstances.

Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Restraining Order [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 18 and for the past year I have been dating a sixteen year old. I broke up with him almost a month ago. A lot of things happened between us over those three weeks that weren't so great. His mother only knows his side of the story, she knows that I slapped him and threw something at him ( it...

Restraining order [ 2 Answers ]

My ex from 7 years ago filled a restaining order against me. She made stuff up at the hearing and the judge believed her. I am married, my wife doesn't know I have this filed against me. Anyone know how I can get this removed from public record? I am told it can affect me getting a passport -...

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and have an ex-"friend". My ex lives directly next door and will not leave me alone. I sent her a signed certified letter requesting that she stops calling me and cease all attemps to contact me. That worked for 2 months. She is at it again. Now what? Restraining order out of the...

Restraining order [ 17 Answers ]

How old do you have to be to file for a restraining order and do you have to have evidence as to why you need one? I broke up with my ex girlfriend back in July, for a while we kind of talked like friends, then she started dating some one who I though was a friend so I stop talking to her and...

View more questions Search