Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andypro Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 07:19 PM
    This will be tough - seeking 80s sci-fi kids movie title
    Hi,

This could be any movie or even a made-for-TV movie from, say, 1981 through 1987ish. Here is absolutely everything I can recall about it -

There are at least two or three kids. They get into a situation where it becomes imperative to assemble some toy in one of the kids' rooms within a certain period. This has something to do with opening a portal, or time travel, or something like that. There's a sense of urgency about reassembling the toy.

The toy may or may not be a model dinosaur. I vaguely recall that the kid was keeping a part of it on his bedside nightstand. I also remember that when the toy is fully assembled, there are plenty of cheesy 80s post-production light effects.

Good luck with this one - I've been dying to know for years and years, and it won't be easy given so few clues. Thanks in advance to any educated guessers.
    jordancaddy Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Are you thinking of Little Monsters with Fred Savage? I think 2 boys and a girl had to quickly put some super bright lights together so that they could rescue someone in the monster world. Or something along those lines.

Jul 28, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordancaddy View Post
    Are you thinking of Little Monsters with Fred Savage? I think 2 boys and a girl had to quickly put some super bright lights together so that they could rescue someone in the monster world. Or something along those lines.
    Nope, that's not the one. Thanks for trying! I just watched Little Monsters to find out if it was the right one, and I must say the movie is quite disturbing. Haha. It's no wonder kids from the 80s (like me) are messed up - the movies for us were psycho!

Anyone else have any guesses? Keep 'em coming!
    fiend101 Posts: 234, Reputation: 56

Jul 29, 2009, 12:26 PM

What age are the kids? Tween, teen, younger?

Jul 29, 2009, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend101 View Post
    what age are the kids? tween, teen, younger?
    Hmm. My memory is so fuzzy for this. I would have to say it's very likely the kids were pretty young. Maybe between 6-10 years old or so. I say this because of the way I remember their bedrooms being and them having certain toys (like the robot or dinosaur model). It had to have been early to mid 80s, because I'm pretty certain the film effects were not very advanced when they reassembled the toy.
    jordancaddy Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 12:41 PM

You're not thinking of Indian in the Cupboard are you?

Jul 29, 2009, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordancaddy View Post
    You're not thinking of Indian in the Cupboard are you?
    Nah. That was much more recent as I recall and doesn't really have anything to do with assembling a toy within a timeframe. I read those books as a kid though, and they were pretty good.
    Gekko Posts: 347, Reputation: 77

Jul 30, 2009, 04:42 AM
    Longshot... It has kids and cheesy effects, and the ending is with a rocket;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gate_(film)

Jul 30, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Longshot... It has kids and cheesy effects, and the ending is with a rocket;

The Gate (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    No, it definitely isn't a horror film. Nor would it be rated PG-13. The wiki page makes that one sound pretty disturbing! Thanks for your guess though!

To narrow it down further: I think it's very safe to assume there are no monsters or zombies or undead or anything like that in my film.
    Lucas2009 Posts: 129, Reputation: 21

Jul 31, 2009, 04:07 PM
    The movie The Last Mimzy really fits but it's the wrong era. Still, it has kids who must assemble toys to open a portal in time.

The Last Mimzy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you might peek at the old 80's movie Explorers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorers_(film)

Aug 2, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas2009 View Post
    The movie The Last Mimzy really fits but its the wrong era. Still, it has kids who must assemble toys to open a portal in time.

The Last Mimzy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you might peek at the old 80's movie Explorers too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorers_(film)
    Thanks for the info. It's not Explorers, but that is a good 80s kids movie. I will have to check out The Last Mimzy, because it sounds pretty cool.

In the particular movie I'm after, there is only a single toy to be assembled. I shall find it before I die :)
    Tamsin1990 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 12:20 PM

What about weird science?

Aug 2, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin1990 View Post
    What about weird science?
    Well, I haven't seen it, but based on imdb.com's plot synopsis, there's no way it could be my movie. ;) Thanks though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking the title of an 80's animation movie about a cat. [ 1 Answers ]

... named Kitty, who turned into a girl and fell in love with a boy. It's from the 80s (I assume, since it was the mid 80s) and I believe I seen it on the Disney Channel. Thanks!

Desperately seeking '70s Buried Cylinder Horror Movie Title [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me identify the title to a '70s Horror Movie my kid brother and I walked out of (scared to death I might add) back in the early 1970s. This was an army base theater, so the movie could even have been a few years old at the time we saw it, I'm not sure, but think it must have been...

Desperately seeking movie title [ 4 Answers ]

I am searching for the title of a movie I remember seeing on t.v. I saw it on t.v. back in like 1997. It looked like it could have been an 70's or 80's movie. I know it started with a young girl sleeping and wolves running in the snow to her house. It was kind of a little red riding hood remake of...

Tough movie title.has anyone ever seen it ? [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking for a movie, that I saw as a kid. I saw it in the early 80's but it was older than that. I remember it was period movie, knights and whatnot. Anyway, the "prince" received magically knights as a gift. They ended going on a mission and one by one dying in one way or another. I...

View more questions Search