Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yogiP Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Annuity Taxes
    Due to a recent death, a close friend is the beneficiary to two annuities. Before the money is distributed to her, she was asked what percentage (if any) of the funds does she want directly forwarded to the IRS and also to her local state taxes. Does anyone out there know what the "norm" is on something of this nature. She would rather pay the taxes upfront than be liable for them at tax time but isn't sure what the standard percentage should be. The insurance company said that they could not advise her.
    Any help would be appreciated as she would like to resolve this matter asap. Thanks
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 04:39 AM

ONLY RELATING TO THE I R S.

Please see IRS Publication 939, General Rule for Pensions and Annuities, for the details on how to calculate taxes due on annuity payments. As an illustration, assume you have a fixed annuity in which you've invested $100,000 that will pay you a sum of $750 per month for life starting at age 62. According to IRS life expectancy tables, you will receive those payments for 22.5 years, so your contract's value is $202,500 (12 X $750 X 22.5). Your exclusion ratio is 49.4% ($100,000/$202,500). Therefore, out of the $9,000 the annuity pays each year, you may exclude $4,446 from income. The remaining $4,554 of that payment will be subject to ordinary income taxes.

Relating to State Taxes:-

Depends on the actual state.

Please also refer to :- despenza.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on annuity left benificiary for [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I were left an annuity form my mom when she passed, my questions is do I add this to my earned income taxes and possibly raising to the next tax bracket or will I be taxed separate on my income and the annuity? Also I'm in NC, do I have to pay state taxes? The money was in the...

Trust is Beneficiary. Who pays the taxes on Annuity interest? [ 1 Answers ]

My Mother died in 2007 and had a simple Trust. She had a total of five annuities. Two went directly to my sister and I as 50/50 beneficiaries. The other three went into the trust to maintain the home/property until it sells. My sister and I were both issued 1099-I for the money we received from...

Annuity taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a non-qualified annuity from my parents. Am I taxed on the interest earned on the annuity or on the full amount of the annuity?

Taxes on an inherited annuity [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away in 2005 and bequeathed his annuity to me and my sister. The funds (approximately $16,000 each) were distributed in 2006 and his estate paid the Federal and Colorado State taxes on it before my sister and I received our share. Because I deposited the entire amount into the...

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

View more questions Search