Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IRISHSAINT26 Posts: 30, Reputation: 3

Jul 21, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Criminal background check
    What is the best website to do a criminal background check/ and credit check?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 04:19 PM

You cant, that requires confidential information to do so. You go to your nearest police station, pay a fee and have it done.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 02:11 AM

JKT I need a background check done every three years as a requirement of my employment. I have it done at my local police station. For a fee of $35.

Tick
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 06:13 AM

Tickle - I think you meant to say that the police will provide a criminal background check, whereas JKT was saying that the police won't do a credit check.

There are lots of websites that offer criminal background checks for less than $35. I don't know which is "best," but here's a nice site that describes background check resources by state:
    Criminal Background Check - Resources by State

You can do a credit check for tenants or new employees for around $15 - see this example:
    Tenant Screening,Tenant Check,Tenant Credit Check,Tenant Background check, Employment Screening.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 06:31 AM

Thanks ebaines, but isn't it a given that police will not do credit checks. Yes the police provide a crmininal background check here. I live in Canada, Canadian Red Cross will not accept anything other then a background check done by the Police Department data base. I have never gone on line to find one here, which would not do my any good anyway.

I don't think there is anything quite like 'splitting hairs'.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    JKT I need a background check done every three years as a requirement of my employment. I have it done at my local police station. For a fee of $35.

tick

I had no idea the Police in Canada could run credit checks. Good to know.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    but isnt it a given that police will not do credit checks.
    tick
    May depend on where you are - we don't know that they won't do them some place else. Besides, even if it's a "given," it doesn't mean everyone would know that.

And you two need to keep your background checks and credit checks straight. :D

I also hope that not just any john doe off the street can have this stuff done. I'd hate to think just anyone could check anything about me - none of their business. We had background checks done for work, but it was done by a independent third party (i.e. work didn't see any of the info themselves), and we all had to sign permission things for them to do it.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post

I also hope that not just any john doe off the street can have this stuff done. I'd hate to think just anyone could check anything about me - none of their business. We had background checks done for work, but it was done by a independent third party (i.e. work didn't see any of the info themselves), and we all had to sign permission things for them to do it.
    No one in Ontario can walk into a Police Department and ask for someone's criminal background check. The person needing it has to produce their Ontario drivers license, Police have to know who is requesting it, such as your place of employment. It is part of a bonding process. If you have a job going into peoples home, your employer has to have you checked. I have to have mine done every three years. It has nothing to do with a CREDIT check. That was a misunderstanding, morgaine.

Tick
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 06:24 PM
    May depend on where you are - we don't know that they won't do them some place else. Besides, even if it's a "given," it doesn't mean everyone would know that.

I don't know just what "two of you" you are referencing.

I do background checks as part of how I make a living - I know just how it's done, what is needed, what you can and cannot get.

I never said anyone could walk in and get a background check/criminal check done on someone else.
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 06:49 PM

Yes, curious comment :confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2009, 10:25 PM

Wow, this has turned into one mass confusion.

By saying to keep the background check and credit check straight, I wasn't referring to anyone knowing what they are. I was referring to the fact that you keep answering the wrong thing. ebaines pointed out to tickle that JKT was probably referring to a background check, not a credit check. Then JKT turned around and mentioned the police doing credit checks again - even after what ebaine posted about the mix up.

I was just joking that tickle and JKT needed to keep straight which one they were talking about, not an implication that someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

That explained, tickle, obviously I knew there was a misunderstanding. I was just saying in general that I hoped not just anyone could go checking into this stuff, either one. It's just nice to hear you say that the police want to know who you are and what's going on. As in, I hope that my neighbor can't just walk in and start checking stuff on me for no good reason.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Wow, this has turned into one mass confusion.

By saying to keep the background check and credit check straight, I wasn't referring to anyone knowing what they are. I was referring to the fact that you keep answering the wrong thing. ebaines pointed out to tickle that JKT was probably referring to a background check, not a credit check. Then JKT turned around and mentioned the police doing credit checks again - even after what ebaine posted about the mix up.

I was just joking that tickle and JKT needed to keep straight which one they were talking about, not an implication that someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

That explained, tickle, obviously I knew there was a misunderstanding. I was just saying in general that I hoped not just anyone could go checking into this stuff, either one. It's just nice to hear you say that the police want to know who you are and what's going on. As in, I hope that my neighbor can't just walk in and start checking stuff on me for no good reason.

So you would suggest I read the thread before I answer? :D
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2009, 01:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    So you would suggest I read the thread before I answer? :D
    Yeah, that's generally the idea, or so I assumed. Perhaps I'm confused on that issue. :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal background check at Best Buy [ 72 Answers ]

I got the job at Best buy they just have to do a criminal background check and drug test. I'm 17 getting this job but I didn't put down that I worked at Subway when I was 15 since I got fired and didn't care at the time (I was dumb) on the paper work he gave me it said criminal background check and...

Criminal Background Check [ 12 Answers ]

Greetings! Over the years I have completed multiple employment applications which have entailed answering Professional Conduct Questions. Each time the question: Have you ever been charged with, convicted, etc appeared, I have answered "NO", which is by all means true. In 1989 I was taken into...

How can background check discover your criminal record [ 11 Answers ]

As titled Isn't the record something private and protected by the government and shared amond authorities only?how can company have access to that or possibly discover it?:eek:

Will a misdemeanor appear on a criminal background check? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was arrested for stealing clothes in a major department store and was arrested by the police department in NYC.(First and only arrest). I was fingerprinted and photos were also taken of me. I was charged with a misdemeanor and was told that after a year the charges would be dropped. My...

Background/Criminal Check [ 6 Answers ]

I posted a few months ago about a man my mother has started dating. The whole situation with him is so suspicious that I'm worried. He recently got arrested for something that he supposedly went to jail for in Florida a few months ago. Since he wouldn't be arrested for the same thing twice, I...

View more questions Search