Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DanO123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Raw Sewage smell in basement office
    I have a stiffling problem! I have check every area that I can and cannot come up with a workable solution to my problem. My basement is finsihed and I have a full size bathroom. We are on a septic system and I have a brand new sump pump to remove waste. Let me preface this by saying, I always keep the bath and sink traps full of water.

Every now and then I get a horrible odor emitting from the ceiling about in the center of my basement office. I flush the toilets, I fill the traps and yet the smell will not go away! I dropped the ceiling panels to see if I could see a crack in the PVC vent line, none seen. I went on my roof to check the vent line, all is clear.

I am at a total loss as to what to do. If the problem were constant, perhaps a plumber could find the problem. It is intermittent and that is driving me crazy! The smell is so offensive at times, I cannot work in my office!

HELP, HELP, HELP... PLEASE>

DanO123
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Hi Dan:

Is this basement bathroom on its own sewage ejector.. If it is a common place that odors escape is from the seal around the cover OR the seals around the pipes.

I am not sure if the sump pump is for the septic or the basement bathroom... clear that up for me... O.K.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in basement bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I live in a basement and there is intermittently a strong sewage smell that comes from two places. There is a drain in the floor and a drain in the shower stall. Both smell bad enough that it has driven us from our apartment more than once. The house is very old... and as far as I know...

Sewage smell in basement [ 8 Answers ]

Brand new home with finished basement every now & then we get a sewage smell in our basement--can't figure out where it is coming from

Sewage smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Our home is 30+ years old and was built before the city sewer line was put it and unfortunately was laid above the level of our basement floor... consequently our house (and all the ones built at the same time) have sumps for basement wastewater. (in our case it is used only for the laundry) We...

Sewage smell in basement [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 40 year old ranch on a basement with a septic tank. I have a laundry room, bathroom, floor drain under the carpet, and a water shut off in one of the closets---all in the basement. I keep getting bad smells MAINLY coming from the laundry room, the water shut off closet, and the main room...

View more questions Search