Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rodmeier Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Divorced parents and weddings
    My wife and I were divorced over 7 years ago. We were both remarried within 3 years of our divorce. Our oldest daughter got married while serving with the Marine Corp by the justice of the peace before her husbands second deployment. They are both out and would like to have a "wedding" with family. The grooms parents cannot afford to help. My wife I gave them a honeymoon when they got married last year. The brides family lives in the midwest and the groom is from the west coast. My daughter is wanting a California wedding and a mid west reception. My question is who should pay for what? My daughter has indicated that her mom will most likely not want to pay for anything. Emails to my ex go unanswered.
    jennica90 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:40 PM

Hi, now that's a big question... you know I completely understand that there is always wedding drama, so here's a way to do it. Have the grooms parents plan the wedding, but to keep inventory of all dues owed. Have them write down everything that the bride and groom want for the wedding make them write down the prices, the types and etc. I know it's going to be hurting your wallet when it comes to your daughter's wedding, but it's going to be hurting their time having to plan it. Make them plan it and you pay for it. But before any major plans begin, you should get a legal document saying that the grooms parents must plan the wedding and that you will pay. The leagl document is in case anything happens down the road or any problems jump your way. If they plan it and you pay for it, you both have to put in almost the same amount of work. Good luck to the bride and groom and to you the new father in law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 01:56 PM

They got married, had a honeymoon, if they now want a "big" wedding, they pay for it.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    They got married, had a honeymoon, if they now want a "big" wedding, they pay for it.
    It's their party, it's their bill. Its not a wedding... they are already married. Its just an excuse for a party.
    crisluvsu731 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Well, the brides side pays for the weeding, and the grooms side pays for the reception. Your daughter should delegate what needs to be paid for.
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Jul 22, 2009, 03:31 PM

The whole 'bride's family pays' is old and out-dated. If you have money to help; then do it. But if not... they should pay for their own wedding. And like previous posts say... they are already married. And they are expecting you to pay for their party?

I think if you want to help, give them a budget of what you can help with. Give them that money. And they should plan around that.
    crisluvsu731 Posts: 150, Reputation: 6

Jul 22, 2009, 03:39 PM

I still believe in that
    h_leann_b Posts: 247, Reputation: 35

Jul 23, 2009, 06:46 AM

However, the groom generally pays for the honeymoon; and the brides parents paid for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's parents are not Divorced [ 28 Answers ]

I was talking to my friends (we are all under 35) and I realized I am the only one with parents who are still married. One of my friends parents aren't together because his mother passed when we were kids (but his dad was cheating on her anyway) and everyone else's parents are divorced. So are...

Divorced/non-divorced parents college tuition responsibilities in Indiana [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Indiana. I have a friend who is divorced. It is in his divorce documents to share in paying for his children's college education, but it is in there because his lawyer told him there is a state law in Indiana that requires parents (divorced and non-divorced) to pay for their children's...

Parents are Divorced [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, I'm 15 and I live in MN, USA. My parents are divorced and I want to go live w/ my Dad but I'm not sure if I have that choice yet?

Divorced Parents [ 8 Answers ]

I am 15, turning 16 in October. My parents have been divorced since I can remember. I visit my dad every other weekend. My question is when I turn 16, I plan to go to more parties and such because I can drive. How do I separate from the dad? On those weekeds I would rather do other things, it...

Divorced parents [ 3 Answers ]

My husband's daughter is getting married. Her mother is not married, but living with someone. At the wedding the daughter would like her mom and dad to dance together. Is this proper etiquette. My husband wanted me to find out the correct procedure. Thank you

View more questions Search