Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marylincathey Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 12:13 PM
    Net income
    The net income of Reliable provision company decreased sharply during 2003. Clay Rollins, owner of the store, anticipate the need for a bank loan in 2004. Late in 2003, he instructed the accountant to record a $70000 sale of recreational gear to the Smith famiy, even though thegoods will not be shipped from the manufacturer until January 2004.Rollins told the accountant not to make the following adjusting entries.Salary owed toemployees $1000
    Expired prepaid insurance $500
    Is Income overstated or understated? Why did Rollins tke these actions? Are they ethical? Give reasons for your answers. As a friend, what advice would you give the accountant?

Jul 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Homework question
    Quote Originally Posted by marylincathey View Post
    The net income of Reliable provision company decreased sharply during 2003. Clay Rollins, owner of the store, anticipate the need for a bank loan in 2004. Late in 2003, he instructed the accountant to record a $70000 sale of recreational gear to the Smith famiy, even though thegoods will not be shipped from the manufacturer until January 2004.Rollins told the accountant not to make the following adjusting entries.Salary owed toemployees $1000
    Expired prepaid insurance $500
    Is Income overstated or understated? Why did Rollins tke these actions? Are they ethical? Give reasons for your answers. As a friend, what advice would you give the accountant?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 02:50 PM

We do not just answer homework for you. It's your work to do. Please make an attempt to do the problem and post those attempts, and we'll let you know how you're doing. Or ask something specific of what you don't understand.

Jul 22, 2009, 12:33 AM

The income of reliable provisions is definitely overstated. Rollins took thes actions because he knows the bank will look at his company financial statements for the last fiscal periodin orderto deterine his ability to repay the loan. If he did not alter the company records in his favor, he would run the risk of his loan being denied. I think these action are unethical because they present misleading information about the financial health of the copany, and false information to the bank. As a friend to the accountant I would advise her against being a part of Rollins' fraudulent plans to deceive protential creditors. I would also remind her of her commintment as an accountant to uphold the rules and regulations of general accepted accounting principle (GAAP).

Jul 22, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marylincathey View Post
    The income of reliable provisions is definitely overstated. Rollins took thes actions becasue he knows the bank will look at his company financial statements for the last fiscal periodin orderto deterine his ability to repay the loan. If he did not alter the company records in his favor, he would run the risk of his loan being denied. I think these action are unethical because they present misleading infromation about the financial health of the copany, and false infromation to the bank. As a friend to the accountant I would advise her against being a part of Rollins' fraudulent plans to deceive protential creditors. I would also remind her of her commintment as an accountant to uphold the rules and regulations of general accepted accounting principle (GAAP).
    Etc
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jul 22, 2009, 04:35 AM
    Good answer, marylincathey. I like that you described Rollins' plans as "fraudulent", because "fraud" is what this is, and that's a very important word in this context, from a legal liability standpoint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status [ 4 Answers ]

Please help, I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are: During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual...

Collectors (law office) Garishing Income & Income Tax Refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I brought a house last spring. This summer I start receiving mail and phone calls from a law office regarding a credit card that was closed over 10 years ago, but I paid some money on it after that. So, it has been over 7 years,but a few month under 10 years. ...

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

Wealth & Income Dispersion, Income Mobility, and Economic Injustice [ 20 Answers ]

There's a lot of trash being talked here and elsewhere these days about how income and wealth are distributed among the US populace, how these distributions are changing, what is causing these changes, and whether those changes are benign or malevolent. Beyond that lie the questions of whether,...

View more questions Search