Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shelleyruyl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Sister not executing father's will
    My father passed away almost 3 years ago. He stated in his will that his home would be left in trust to his 4 daughters to either live in or sell. My oldest sister was named the executor of his will but is delaying the sale of the home. The profits of the sale were to be divided equally to the 4 of us, including the executor. The home is not in prime condition to sell for top dollar so I thought that if she were to get a mortgage on the home she could essentially buy us out. Without involving lawyers (due to the high cost of lawyers fees), I want her to buy me out now. Does she have a legal obligation to resolve the matter in an agreeable way to all four of us? Or is the only option to sell the house?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 10:59 AM

Whatever plan you come up with to dispose of the home has to be approved by the Probate Court.

Have you attempted to force the disposition of the home - either through sale or buy out?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 01:25 PM

Another problem you may be facing right now is that in many markets the home value is depressed and what it was worth 3 years ago it might only be worth 1/2 at this time. Unless there is some great need for the money it might be best to hold onto the house until there is a recovery in the market. Also there is the option of fixing it up and getting a renter in it in hopes of recovering some of the money that your losing to taxes and insurance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 01:35 PM

You may go though the court to force the sale of the home

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister in prison expecting twins I'm the only sister how do I get them [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I'm in Indiana. My sister is in prison expecting twins. I am her sister both our parents haved passed. The father denys being with her. So how would I legally go about getting custody of the babies when they are born? So you think just a notorized letter might work? My sister is 28...

Executing more than one program in vb.net [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was wondering if anyone could help. I am trying to write code to execute more than one exe program. Eg, I have 5 programs to be installed on a computer, with a click of a button I want to execute the first installation and once that is done(Maybe have a messagebox staying done or...

Executing a will [ 1 Answers ]

Can the executor of your will reside in another state?

Executing Perl program [ 1 Answers ]

When I run the program I get this error message:" Can not locate strict.pm in Cinc contains: .> at C:\perl\Installer.bat line 45 Begin failed--compilation aborted at C:\Perl\Installer.bat line 45" I need help

If your older sister dies are you now the older sister [ 1 Answers ]

The ? Is if your older sister or brother was to die does that make you the older brother or sister later on in life.

View more questions Search