Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vickyphillipou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:23 AM
    Wisdom Teeth
    Hi,

I had two wisdom teeth removed top and bottom nearly 3 weeks ago - Lately my mouth has felt abit uncomfortable and when looking in the mirror I noticed that there was something in the area where I had the bottom Wisdom removed, it's a white colour and it feels loose when I swallow.

Also my jaw is still achy sometimes and still does not feel back to normal, how long does this take to heal. I am still unable to eat certain foods as I am unable to open my mouth wide enough!

Can you let me know if this is normal and what it actually is?

Many thanks
    :confused:
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 12:18 PM

You are still going through the healing process. Continue rinsing with warm salt water. The white you see could be a bone chip working its way out.
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2009, 01:30 PM

Healing processing is different with some people. Most people can be fine the next day, eating what they want and other take longer. I got 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out (a few years ago) at the beginning of June. I was able to start eating hard foods by the end of June. I felt miserable. I just wanted to heal before the 4th of July lol.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:33 PM

Those bone chips are tricky. About 15 years after my wisdom tooth removal I felt something sore in my mouth. My friend who is a maxio facial surgeon (he removed them back then) went to visit him (free visit) he said oops it is a bone chip. Needless to say I had to have it removed. Funny thing is after a few days I was unable to open my mouth. My friend made a mistake and actually sewed my cheek to my gum. Can't complain, cause the work was free. LOL
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickyphillipou View Post
    Hi,

I had two wisdom teeth removed top and bottom nearly 3 weeks ago - Lately my mouth has felt abit uncomfortable and when looking in the mirror i noticed that there was something in the area where i had the bottom Wisdom removed, its a white colour and it feels loose when i swallow.

Also my jaw is still achy sometimes and still does not feel back to normal, how long does this take to heal. I am still unable to eat certain foods as i am unable to open my mouth wide enough!

Can you let me know if this is normal and what it actually is?

Many thanks
    :confused:
    Gingival tissue (gums) takes about 3 weeks to heal (close the hole after a tooth pull), jaw bone underneath the gums takes 6-8 MONTHS to remodel and heal. It is common to have sensitivity and discomfort or even pain after weeks of wisdom teeth removal!

Depend on how your wisdom teeth were removed, i.e. surgical or simple, your healing period will differ tremendously.

As far as the "white stuff", is it soft or hard to the feel? If it's soft, it can be your new gums growing or it can be food stuck inside your socket. If it's hard, then it can be a bone chip, a tooth particle, your jaw (lingual plate), or it also can be food.

Skip the warm salt water, try Crest or Listerine. Twice a day, 60 seconds each.

If you see any signs of infection (swelling, puss, bleeding), then go back to the dentist that took the teeth out for a post-op eval.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Five wisdom teeth. [ 8 Answers ]

So, I've needed my wisdom teeth out for a little while now. I have five wisdome teeth but none of them have erupted yet. My face swells up sometimes and I can't eat.. they cause a lot of pain. Not all the time though. They just act up at times. I've lost my insurance now and the dentist had told me...

Wisdom teeth! [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all! I have to get my wisdom teeth out in two weeks... all four of them at once! (im 21yrs old)I am kind of nervous! I am getting the level IV sedation which means they knock you out, more or less. Anyway, for the pain afterwards my oral surgeron prescribed vicodin... my mom is like,...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

Wisdom teeth [ 10 Answers ]

All four of my wisdom teeth are coming out together. Uper left one doesn't hurt at all but coming out in a wrong direction, lower left one is perfectly fine so far. The problem is with the right side, there is not enough space for the teeth to come out, uppor or lower part, the pain started couple...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search