Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2009, 07:51 AM
    Cheapest health insurance
    Where is the best place to get health insurance? I can't get it through my job yet because I only a temp. I have to be permanent to get those benefits. I have no clue where to go to get the cheapest health insurance. And I could really use it
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:47 PM

Have you checked online? There are many providers that will come up through a simple Google search. That way you can cater a plan to your needs.

Often you can find the same providers that you'd get through work but understand the premium you pay will be much higher since you will on an individual plan instead of a group plan (group rates are cheaper).

You say you "could really use it"- do you have any current health conditions that need to be treated?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2009, 08:48 PM

Cheapest? Are do you want good insurance.

Also where do you live, in some areas one company may be cheaper but higher in others

Jul 27, 2009, 01:23 PM

I live in PA.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 01:28 PM

What's important to you?- Do you go to the doctor often? If not, you may just need a Major Medical plan in place to cover extraordinary costs as opposed to an annual exam.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 28, 2009, 09:13 AM

Think about what kind of coverage you need and then shop around. Most insurance agencies will specify policies for you and what you can afford.

If you have house and/or car insurance those companies will often offer health benefits at at discount.

My mother found a local place called "House of Insurance". For a small fee, they shopped around (at ALL insurance carriers) for her -- found something reasonable -- and got her started. That was it! She was happy :)

Jul 29, 2009, 06:27 AM

I don't go to the doctors that much. I do have an access card that covers me for female related issues. But when it comes down to me getting hurt (car accident for example) I don't have anything to cover me for that. You know what I mean.. So I pretty much need something for that kind of stuff.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    I dont go to the doctors that much. I do have an access card that covers me for female related issues. But when it comes down to me getting hurt (car accident for example) I dont have anything to cover me for that. You know what I mean.. So i pretty much need something for that kinda stuff.
    I would suggest looking into a Major Medical plan. This sounds like it would be the most cost efficient plan for you right now. Major Medical plans are for people that don't go to the doctor very often and want coverage in the event something major happens like an accident or hospitilization. You'd pay for your regular doctor's visits and prescriptions out of pocket though because of the high deductible.

Also look into adding Medical Payments to your auto policy. This provides you a certain dollar amount (available in specified increments) that in the event of an auto accident, your insurance company will pay out to help cover expenses resulting from an auto accident (trauma care, ambulance, etc).

Jul 29, 2009, 08:21 AM

Oh OK. Where could I find Major Medical Plans at? Do you know how much doctor visits would be?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Oh ok. Where could I find Major Medical Plans at?? Do you know how much doctor visits would be?
    Most health insurance companies offer different types of policies so Major Medical is just one of the types that they'd offer. Call any company or visit their website (Blue Cross, United Healthcare, etc). Major Medical plans are usually cheaper since it doesn't include co-pays for well visits and prescriptions.

The cost of doctor's visit vary according to the cause for the visit. A typical well-visit (with no lab work or vaccinations) may run around $150. Since you don't go very often, you may come out cheaper paying this out of pocket rather than paying an astronomical premium just to have a $30 copay.

Think of a Medical Major plan as a "Just in case something horrible happens" plan.

Jul 29, 2009, 09:18 AM

Oh OK. I do have an Blue Cross Application packet at my house. I'll have to check that out. Thank you for the info. I appreciate it
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:31 AM

Also some companies offer temporary policies for instances such as this: new employee not eligible for benefits, between jobs, or a student leaving parents's policy and newly entering the workforce. Temp policies are good if you need coverage for 6 months or less.

Jul 29, 2009, 09:36 AM

Yea it has an application for that too, but the only thing about that is what if the 6 months are over with but I still don't have benefits at my job? Could I renew it for another 6 months?
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 09:40 AM

Do you know when you'll be eligible for benefits at your job? Do you have to wait for 90 days or do you have to wait for an annual enrollement period?

Jul 29, 2009, 01:47 PM

Well at the moment I'm a temporary clerk at my job so I can't get benefits. I have to be permanent in order to receive those. I don't know how long it will take until I receive a permanent job. Not too many people are hiring at the moment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 06:47 PM

Normally you don't "renew" but you take a new policy ( and have to prove you are eligiable and not for any pre existing conditions to that time.

If you have no idea of when, why not merely buy a personal policy

Jul 30, 2009, 07:21 AM

So that would mean that I can apply for the temporary insurance again after the first 6 months is up?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 08:09 AM
    So that would mean that I can apply for the temporary insurance again after the first 6 months is up?
    What would be best (I didn't realize it was a temp job, I thought you were a "new" employee)... look into setting up an individual policy which you can cancel once you start a job where you are eligible for health benefits. A temporary policy is best when the date of eligibility for benefits is known.

Jul 30, 2009, 08:22 AM

Yea I've be working as a temp for 11 months now. Its no telling how long it will take before I get a permanent spot with benefits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No health insurance [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about getting medical care that would involve maybe a MRI if I have no insurance and cannot afford such care?

Health insurance [ 1 Answers ]

In which company best health insurance plan which covered most injury for buy an insurance plan

View more questions Search