Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachaelspud Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 21, 2009, 11:19 AM
    JudyKayTree

At least he is in a loving home and my rat terrier as well. I have not choice on the time frame. I work 8 hours and takes me about 45 minutes to and from work
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:24 AM

Do you have friends or neighbours you trust that could come let them out of their cages for a little while during the day while you are working. What about a dog walker from your community.. we don't doubt you love your dogs but we do feel for them. Me I wish I could go eight hours without having to pee... I know my dog can but he's 7 years old and used to live with owners who were gone for long peroids of time *sometimes up to 12 hours or more* and he can hold it in but I'd never make him do it if I didn't have to. As the years went on they started staying home more.. making more time for their dogs but it just was too much for them. Which is why I have him now. I take rebel out 5 to 8 times a day depending on the type of day it is... he's a warm weather dog so being in snow and the cold literally make his feet bleed so I don't make him stay out longer then he wants to...

Jul 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
    binx44

I understand all you are saying. We have a neighbor who helps with the dogs sometimes. We have had to leave them when we go to Ohio and he would come over, let them out in the yard a while and take care of them but he's not in real good health, I don't want to ask him to do this every day. When we recued our rat terrier he was already cage trained.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:44 AM

I have a pet sitter/neighbor who is WONDERFUL - I often get tied up working for far longer than I planned. Someone who can and will take care of your dogs is a Godsend.

Also - I don't know if this would work for you but when my German Shepherds were babies I bought one of those dog playpens which opens up to a pretty big size. I put the kennels at one end of the kitchen and then surrounded them with the playpen. The dogs had the ability to wander around and exercise and if they simply had to "go" they could and not spend the day sitting/lying in their own waste.

I have never, otherwise, kenneled a dog although I do understand the necessity to do so.

And, Rachel - I've got to say (and this is very inappropriate) BUT you are one of the few who has come on, been criticized or corrected, listened and understood, offered more info, taken the advice and not stormed off, screaming. I give you points! (Honestly, I do!)

Jul 21, 2009, 11:49 AM
    JudyKayTree
    I didn't come on here to get upset and storm off. It's important for me to find out if I was wrong by letting him sleep out of his cage. I'm hoping when I go home today, all is well and he did fine.
    I reward both of them with a treat when I get home and tell them "Good Boy" while mommy was gone. They are both so loveable and cuddly.
    My rat terrier as I said, I got from a rescue. He was abused so it took him a while to trust us and not be scared if we even moved a little. He was even afraid to eat if you moved near where he was eating. Now they both eat when we do and then they lay on a rug that is near us while we finish dinner and they never beg.
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jul 21, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rachaelspud View Post
    JudyKayTree
    I didn't come on here to get upset and storm off. It's important for me to find out if I was wrong by letting him sleep out of his cage. I'm hoping when I go home today, all is well and he did fine.
    I reward both of them with a treat when I get home and tell them "Good Boy" while mommy was gone. They are both so loveable and cuddly.
    My rat terrier as I said, I got from a rescue. He was abused so it took him a while to trust us and not be scared if we even moved a little. He was even afraid to eat if you moved near where he was eating. Now they both eat when we do and then they lay on a rug that is near us while we finish dinner and they never beg.
    It's great that they behave so well.:)

Jul 21, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Yes it is and I'm glad I have both of them

Jul 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
    yes it is and I'm glad I have both of them
    I'm sure they must be a lot of fun to be around.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:04 PM
    They are a lot of fun and the rat terrier loves to have another dog almost his size to play with. The chihuahua is part chihuahua and part miniature doberman but he doesn't resemble doberman at all to me.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:07 PM
    they are a lot of fun and the rat terrier loves to have another dog almost his size to play with. The chihuahua is part chihuahua and part miniature doberman but he doesn't resemble doberman at all to me.
    Ya, sometimes it's hard to tell different species apart.
    Especially the mixes.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:08 PM
    I'm new on here so I wasn't sure how you hit and reply but I guess it's working OK. :)

Jul 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
    I'm new on here so I wasn't sure how you hit and reply but I guess it's working ok. :)
    If you need help press the help button.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Thank you.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Thanks to all who gave feed back for my puppies. I will let you know tomorrow how things went today

Jul 21, 2009, 12:22 PM
    thanks to all who gave feed back for my puppies. I will let you know tomorrow how things went today
    Can you possibly get some pictures?
    I love animals and I love to see pictures of them!:D

Jul 21, 2009, 12:23 PM
    I'm sure I can. I take pics of them all the time with my cell phone but how do I post them on here?

Jul 21, 2009, 12:27 PM
    I'm sure I can. I take pics of them all the time with my cell phone but how do I post them on here?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I think you just press the little mountain picture on top.

Jul 21, 2009, 12:30 PM
    I'll give it a try

Jul 21, 2009, 12:38 PM
    I'll give it a try

Is it working?

Jul 21, 2009, 12:45 PM
    I don't have the pics here with me

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Peeing and Pooping in cage [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We have a metal cage for our 3 1/2 month old miniature schnauzer puppy. We had bought her to be an inside pet, but because of her peeing and pooping in her cage we have moved it out into the garage and that's where she stays during the day and sometimes at night. When we get up in the...

Dog pooping in her cage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 month old Silky who keeps pooping in her cage. We take her outside and wait a long time for her to go poop and never does. She will just do it in her cage. How do I get her to stop?

12 week Husky pooping in cage [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 12 week old male Siberian husky that continues to poop in his cage when he is left in there while I am at work. I usually arrange for him to only be in his cage for no more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. BUT even at that length of time I come home to him thrashing in his poop. I have...

Dog started pooping in cage after 1 month [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this dog trianing thing. We bought a pug 5 weeks ago. He is 4 months old. The first month was perfect... no pee or poop ever in the crate. We this week he suddenly started to pee and poop in crate. The only thing I changed was his bed because he was eating the fur off the bed. ...

View more questions Search