Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    olblueyes Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
    Need Health Ins in Ohio: Non-empl, Pre-exist condition. Impossible?
    I’m in a city I don’t know well (Columbus, OH). I have a chronic kidney condition and no health insurance. Local insurance brokers say I am uninsurable.

I'll eventually need a transplant if I want to, well, LIVE. Without insurance, there's not much chance of that.

I've no idea who/where to ask for advice about this situation. I’m terrified.

National Kidney Foundation says that I can’t get help from Medicaid until my function drops to where I need dialysis; there’s nil they can suggest in the meantime, just to wait. If I understand Medicaid correctly, they step in after ALL your savings are gone? Yikes. I’d really like to avoid that.

At almost 40, I’m still too young for social security/most age-related care services.

Probably not yet poor enough to qualify for community programs; I still have some savings (tho they won’t last if I have to cover all my med bills).

I can’t get insurance through my current school.

My kidney function is low. My electrolytes are skewed. I get UTIs at the drop of a hat. I take supplements, but should be on erythropoetin and B-12 IVs.

I have no regular doctor(s). Am having difficulties finding doctors who will treat me w/o insurance… save Urgent Care (variable quality) and the ER (uber-$$$).

I’ve been pondering:

*Seeking out someone w/ health insurance for a functional marriage. (Problem: I don’t know any would-be grooms in town. Putting an ad on Craigslist seems like a profoundly bad idea.)

*Moving to another country. Don’t know about employment, but perhaps I could work something out if I were a student?

*A job (Problem: don’t know if I can handle 8-hour days anymore. And what happens when I can no longer do ANY work? How much will Disability cover/for how long?).

*Setting up my own company and trying to buy myself health insurance (as an employee) through that.

Heck, I don’t know if ANY^ of these would work, given the pre-existing condition issue.

Has anyone dealt w/ anything similar? Other than suicide (which is another option, one I'm considering), do you have any suggestions?

Sorry, I realize this was a LOT of text to wade through. I appreciate your help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 06:04 AM

Sounds like you should go to (actually I think you have to call in first) the Social Security office and file for disability.
    They will send you to their doctors to get a diagnosis and determine if you fall in their guidelines.
    If they turn you down appeal it and keep appealing it. By the third appeal hire a lawyer that specializes in getting disability for people.
    Do not let the appeal time run out because starting over means less back benefits you would be able to receive.
    You can also work part time on disability but clear that and how many hours through your caseworker.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2009, 06:56 PM

I agree with Nohelp, try filing for Social Security- you may qualify depending on the functionality of your kidneys. Patients receiving dialysis or are end stage renal failure automatically qualify. But look into to see if you qualify.

As for some of the other ideas you suggested:

1. Please don't commit suicide. You said "probably not yet poor enough to qualify for community programs"- have you even looked into any gov't programs to assist you? I think it'd be well worth it to see what your options are.

2. Craigslist - good things rarely are found on Craigslist

3. Setting up a company - you would have to have a certain # of employees to qualify for a group plan... more $$

I won't address the others just yet- do some research to see what you qualify for (public assistance, Social Security, Disability).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to ask about my health condition. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 23 yrs old.. I had abdominal pain, mucous in stool.. I had undrgone colonoscopy and it was normal... and the my doctor said I have an IBS.. and until now I can't get rid of this abdominal pain... is it really IBS? Hope to hear ans... tnx.. Godbless..

Is this impossible ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a question about if I only use papaya soap and some other basic lotion that give the skin energi and a lot of honey,lemon and yoghurt, is it make the skin lighter? And when I say lighter I mean maybe 2-4 shades before September Is this impossible ?

Ps3 impossible to get! [ 29 Answers ]

Omg its so impossible stores just won't tell you the truth about wheather or not they got the ps3.. point being... Does anybody know any legit sites making the ps3 available for preorder by christmas time. I really want one.

Health Insurance with a pre-existent condition [ 15 Answers ]

My son is in Utah this week skiing with his girlfriend and her family and got injured last night. He was taken to the hospital and it was determined that he busted his knee (ACL) but because he has no insurance there was not much that they could do for him. They are flying back tomorrow and he is...

Impossible to fix? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, One day I selected a document to print and the printer didn't respond, instead it said the usb device has malfunctioned. But I realised that it isn't actually the lead that has malfunctioned but the document for some reason crashed in the que list. I press delete document but it does nothing....

View more questions Search