Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glloyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2006, 08:46 AM
    Hernia Repair
    Hi
    A couple of weeks ago I underwent a double inguinal hernia repair at the local NHS hospital. I'd looked into the private option and The Hernia Centre North London claim to have a method that is virtually risk free with a negligible failure rate and the patient is fully active well within a week. The NHS consultant told me he used 'modern' methods but said it would be at least 3 weeks before I could attempt anything vaguely strenuous. Not having the resources ready at the time I went with the NHS. Even after 2 weeks the inner scars in my groin are still lumpy and painful and by the end of the day the skin is puffy and swollen at the 'Southern ' end. Also the bumps that were there before the operation are slightly worse than they were and disappear after laying flat for a time(as they did before the op). The nurse told me that the surgeon had inserted a 'soft' mesh but had also made inner stitches to the muscle.
    My question is, should the bulges be there now (apart from natural bruising/swelling) and improve as the muscle 'grows' into the mesh, or has the operation failed. I'm loathe to go back to the hospital(who offered no aftercare anyway), as I don't want them to make an even worse mess of me. My GP is not much help either. The sole doctor at the practise that inspires any measure of confidence is always solidly booked for a minimum of a month ahead (obviously).
    I hope you can advise me in this instance,
    Best regards
    George-South London
    wolfboy Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Oct 19, 2006, 03:49 AM
    You need to remember that it takes time to heal.
    I would give it the full amount of time the doctor told you.
    If it doen't improve by then I would see another doc.

Remember that is a very sensitive area It could just need time
    glloyd Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Thanks for that, it does seem to be improving marginally day by day. Meanwhile it'll be interesting seeing how quickly all the hard work undertaken at the gym during the last year goes down the pan!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hernia: preventing testicle pain while lifting! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am 17 years old. I lift weight a lot, well I used to . This whole summer I have laid around watching anime and losing muscle. Mainly because I had this lump on my right testicle and I was in a lot of amounts of pain, and my doctor could not really find any explenation for it at all what so...

Window repair [ 10 Answers ]

We have a large picture window in our living room with 2 plates of glass, yesterday when taking down the curtain poll, it fell and crashed into the window breaking out a hole in the inside glass, but it didn't go all the way through to the outside glass. How would one repair this, and would it be...

Weight training after hernia surgery [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to undergo doulble ingunial hernia surgery. I hurt myself on the job but I also am an avid weight lifter. Is this operation going to result in me never being able to lift again or will it be OK after I deal completely?

Should I replace or repair my TV? [ 5 Answers ]

My TV has a white horizontel line across the screen, dividing the screen in half. Above the line the screen is totally black and below the line the picture is normal. It's a Samsung 25" TXE 25346.

Abdominal hernia [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everybody. I'm a 14 year old guy and I'm pretty sure that I have abdominal hernia. Please guys, help me. I need to know how much it would cost to get rid of it at the min and at the max in $. See, I didn't even tell my parents yet because I'm kind of embarrassed but its not the main reason....

View more questions Search