Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BarceloGirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 04:19 PM
    My son Speech situation
    My son is 4yrs old and 8 months. He says word but never a whole sentence. He understands everything people tell him but when it comes to him talking to me, he says everything by words.. Example: If I ask him, JJ are you hungry? Instead of saying Yes, I"m hungry, he only says "food" or just "hungry", if he falls and I ask him what happened he just just reply "hurt".. . A lot of people tell me he needs Speech Therapy and some people tell me he doesn't that he eventually will talk in sentences. We are a bilingual family, my husband doesn't speak Spanish, and my entire family only speak Spanish. I have the flashcards, the books, the videos to help with speech therapy, is there any else I can do or do I have to get him in Speech Therapy?. Thanks.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:41 PM

He needs help. He is almost at the age of kindergarten and has yet to complete a simple sentence. He needs to be evaluated by a professional. My son had a 9 month delay in speech due to a missed hearing loss that was corrected. Even with his delay he was speacking in complete sentances at 3. this was from a child who heard nothing but muffeled sounds for the first 9 months and has just received his 1st ear exam that was perfect.

Your son needs to get evaluated by your school district. Would have been easier earlier on.
    MichiganGirl10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 04:44 PM

My nephew is 4 years old as well. He didn't start talking sentences till this past year. We were all worried that maybe we needed to take him to a speech therapist, but everythang worked out just fine. He didn't talk at all... for example when we said "axton, r u hungry?" hed put his hand up to his lips (in a way of eating) and nodded his head. So he is still doing that at times, but he is getting better. I don't believe that you have to take him to a speech class. Just keep working with him with the flash cards and such. It will soon flash in his head to start talking in sentences. Good Luck and I know for sure that this will all work out. Remember he is only 4 years old, there is still a lot he does not understand about what he saying, he just needs some guidance ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:49 PM

Children need to be taught how to use and form words. By age four he is about at a 2-21/2 age level. He mises the early intervention time line, but should get evaluated . Speech may not be his only problem. You need to be your child's advocate. If not, who else?
    MichiganGirl10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 04:52 PM

I am none of the above by the way (cruel choice of words) but if anythang, I would just go to your child's doctor and ask him what is going on... he will give you better advice than me, or this jerk.
    I've been around kids my whole life and most of them don't start talking till about four years old. He may have a hearing problem? Try checking that out.
    But I would highly suggest talking to his pediatrician.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:57 PM

Michigan girl10. I speak from person experience as well as I hold a masters degree in early childhood education. If that makes me a jerk fine. I have never heard of a place in the us that MOST children don't start talking to 4 years of age.

I do agree however, you should talk to your pediatrician and get his ears checked. If he sees no problem get 2nd opinion.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 03:21 PM

He sounds like the little boy I babysit (his name is even JJ too, for jeret johnathan I think) except he is 2.

He does need help. Take him to see his pediatrition. He definitely needs speech class. Good luck hon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A speech [ 8 Answers ]

I have attend a public speaking course... n my teacher ask me to talk about "what makes me a chinese"so I dun have any idea... :( n I ned tis on tis wed... plzz.. help me wit it... thankss:D

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

Speech [ 3 Answers ]

I babysit my younger cousin, he is 8 yrs old and has a bad speech problem. He has been held back in kindergarten and they have tried to hold him back again in 1 st grade but his parents did not allow it. My 5 yr old can speak 100 times better than he does. I have noticed that no body takes time to...

Text to speech [ 1 Answers ]

Is a website where I can download a thing where the computer reads the page to me?

Free Speech [ 2 Answers ]

Cleric puts up one million dollors to kill cartoonist that created the funny. Well, I guess free thought as well as free speech is out of the question. Why are these people so very excitable? What exactly do they want out of life. I am truly perplexed when it comes to their behavior. Can anyone...

View more questions Search