Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awesomo1111 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2009, 03:57 PM
    A co-worker I don't like asked me out.how does one deal with the ensuing awkwardness
    Hello people, I am dealing with an awkward situation in the workplace and I thought I'd come here for help.

For the past four summers, I have worked for a firm that manufactures electronics. I like it there a lot. Well, about two weeks ago we hired a new guy, I'll call him Jake. I don't work directly with him, since we are in different departments, but I can see him from across the building.

I didn't actually talk to Jake until about 3 days ago, and when we did, it was only for about two minutes. He wasn't a bad guy, but was extremely crude and obnoxious. Didn't make too much of an impression on me. Plus, I find him quite physically unattractive.

Well, imagine my surprise when, yesterday, I got a random e-mail from him. Our conversation went something like this:

Jake: Hey, what's up?
    Me: Not a lot, how do you like work?
    Jake: It's cool. There are a lot of cute girls to look at, like you.
    Me: Umm, OK.
    Jake: You are really cute. You want to do something sometime? Do you have messenger or a cellphone?
    Me: No I don't, and thanks for the offer, but I'm good.
    Jake: Oh, you don't want to hang out?
    Me: No thanks.

Oh, coming in to work today, it was so awkward. What am I going to do? I like my job and don't want to quit. Should I just ignore the whole situation and pretend it never happened or address it at some point? Also, what do you make of the "hang out" remark? Do you think he was just looking for a friend, or trying sneakily to get me on a date? Blah, I don't know what to do.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:16 PM

Ignore him and if he continues tell him that you aren't interested in any type of relationship/friendship at the present time.
    He may just want a friend and nothing more, he may hope it would turn into more.

Ignore him. I have seen guys pursue a girl and then when they knew it wasn't going anywhere they simply moved on to the next girl they thought might be interested.

Don't feel awkward just stand your ground in a polite way.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 07:19 PM

To be honest, I think a "Thank you I am not interested" should do it. Hopefully he would respect your answer and move on. If he were to pursue anything after that then that would be something else to address.

Polite and to the point with a smile.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2009, 05:07 PM
    Ignore him and get on with your work. If you see him, smile and say hi, but don't stop to talk. Don't take your lunch break when he's around. Don't show any interest in being his friend, but be polite.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:04 PM

You answered him appropriately and drew the line without being nasty or rude, and there's nothing to feel awkward about.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 10:28 PM

Awkwardness in the ensuing days is perfectly natural. It means you're a caring person, so don't look too hard for ways to make the "not happen".

But at the same time, don't give those feelings of awkwardness more attention than it deserves, either. Just bear it until it goes away, which it will.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:18 AM

I simply say, "I'm sorry, but I don't mix business and pleasure."

And then I don't discuss the possibility of dating any further. No argument, no discussion - I just don't date people I know from work.

And when I see the people who have asked me out I'm pleasant and don't entertain any discussion about dating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anxiety disorder, social awkwardness [ 12 Answers ]

For the past few months I have been becoming more and more socially awkward. I fear that I am suffering from a mental illness, possibly Anxiety disorder, but I am looking for another opinion. Symptoms: -If someone that I don't feel completely comfortable around asks me to do something I over...

Provent the awkwardness [ 3 Answers ]

A guy asked me out last night, I really liked him so I said yes. Were kind of good friends but not that close until recently. Ive only talked to him through text and msn lately and I'm going to see him tomorrow in school. I need advice for it not to be awkward when I see him. I just don't want...

Setting up care worker or support worker agency [ 5 Answers ]

I will like to know the requirements for setting up care worker or support worker agency. Thanks

Can I Sue Former Co-Worker [ 3 Answers ]

The small family owned business I work for is being maliciously targed by two former employees who have started their own company in the same industry. Both employees incorporated their new business while still employed with the company I work for. Using information such as client names, email,...

View more questions Search