Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AdamD7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Dummy running underground cable for outdoor outlet.
    Ok, I have a pavilion/gazebo, which is about 80 ft from my house. I apparently screwed up here... from what my friends are telling me at work.

I ran BX-wire 14/2 cable directly underground (not in a conduit) down to the pavilon and hooked up an outdoor outlet.

Everyone is NOW telling me that I should NOT have just put the bx wire in the ground and it MUST be in a conduit.

I'm kind of hoping this is still OK to do (so I don't have to redo it all), but do I need to rip it all up and run it through a conduit ? What do you guys think??

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:56 PM
    Sorry, not possible. BX is not rated for direct burial.

Only UF cable, which is typically used, or several other methods, such as PVC conduit with individual THHN/THWN or XHHW conductors, rigid steel or aluminum conduit, IMC conduit, there is even a direct burial MC cable, liquidtite flexible conduit.

But BX is not on the list.

Thank your friends for knowing this was incorrect and gave you good advice.

If you leave it, you do at your own peril, and any innocent visitors.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 06:46 PM

TK is right on the money. I'd rip it out and not use conduit, just run UF. The cost will not be prohibitive and less work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor underground ejector pump & pit venting [ 9 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 30 yr. old house that has a pit & ejector pump on the output side of the septic tank. It is buried approx. 1 ft. I recently dug it up for the first time to investigate what I thought was a bad/intermittent float valve causing the pump to be operating constantly. My...

Running wiring & create outdoor outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have moved to an 18 acre farm and have learned to do a lot out of necessity but need some advice on this deal. There is an outlet on the back deck which is the only outdoor outlet. I have a small pond I made of a stock tank about 25 feet from the deck and want to put a GFC outlet on a post by...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Grounding cable depth when ran underground [ 2 Answers ]

I am upgrading from a 100AMP to 200AMP service. I need to run a grounding wire (bare CU #4AWG) from 2 grounding rods to the main electrical panel: 50 feet. I plan on running it underground. I wonder whether the minimum depth of 24" (18" if in PVC conduit) applies to grounding wire installed...

How do I install a new cable outlet from an existing cable outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have cable and want to install a new cable box on another wall? How do I fish the cable to the new location and how do I install the new cable box outlet?

View more questions Search