Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rico1201 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Income tax statute of Limitations
    I filed returns for 6 years of taxes in Oct of 2002 I spent thirteen months negotiating an offer in compromise. So the statue of limitations should be 10years plus thirteen months.
    Does travel outside the county freeze the "clock" on the statue of limitations?
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:02 PM

I can't see traveling outside the county freezing the clock on the statute of limitations because I believe it is a government program/and or government run

Jul 20, 2009, 06:04 PM

Yes, the 10 year statute of limitations on collections tolls (is suspended) while a taxpayer is absent from the country for more than 6 months.

This answer is from an American CPA... It's nice to have help, but blantaly wrong answers
    Can do nothing but harm
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 03:23 AM

You really didn't have to put it that way..

"its nice to have help, but blantaly wrong answers can do nothing but harm"

I didn't say I was right, didn't say I was wrong I just said I couldn't see it freezing the clock. You also have to keep in mind new member that not everyone on here is from your country so not everyone knows the laws in your country. My statement couldn't cause any harm because I didn't tell you to go do something you shouldnt/ is illegal.
    Though in my country it is against the law to wait Six years to do your taxes.. you can only do two years at a time no more then two.

Jul 21, 2009, 07:59 AM

I was under the impression that these were answers from EXPERTS in each subject i.e. accountants, tax advisors, lawyers etc. I had no idea that just anyone can chime in with an answer with no expertise. In planning a trip overseas it certainly would have been detrimental to me to have stayed more than 6 months abroad.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 08:47 AM

If you were under the impression that everyone on here is an expert you are very wrong... anyone can add their opinion or advice or comments (as long as they are polite and your not trolling) I think maybe you should read the rules and stuff just so you know what this site is like. You're a new member who just joined this month. Most likely the same day you posted your question so its understandable you didn't know but there is no need for anyone *and no I'm not zooming in on you about this* to be rude or ignorant... people are going to give their opinion on which ever questions they want to respond to. There are some experts in all fields here on AMHD but there are also THOUSANDS of regular every day people that may or may not have had experience in each field. If you feel this forum is not for you because not everyone is an "expert" here then it is your decision to stay or leave... but we do welcome all new people no matter what walks of life they are. I wish you the best with your problem. Maybe calling your government building in your town or city could help you more or your local tax center

Jul 21, 2009, 09:48 AM

It's obviously my mistake to use this site as a forum for important information... I did join the day I posted and I checked out other peoples questions and answers, especially concerning "taxes" and "passport eligibility" it appeared to me those questions were answered by professional in each field. Sorry for the assumption. But in this case the "opinions or comments of individuals unfamiliar with the subject was not what I was loking for. My apologies again.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rico1201 View Post
    It's obviously my mistake to use this site as a forum for important information....I did join the day I posted and I checked out other peoples questions and answers, especially concerning "taxes" and "passport eligibility" it appeared to me those questions were answered by professional in each field. Sorry for the assumption. But in this case the "opinions or comments of individuals unfamiliar with the subject was not what I was loking for. My apologies again.
    Now now don't judge the site just because you did not get the answer you were looking for. Give it time when someone in that field of expertise sees your question and decides that yes they do want to post an answer they will. Now just so you know this site is for important information so please don't judge just because you didn't get what you wanted to hear right away... your going to get a bit of everything in this forum. Experts, and individuals not completely familiar with the subject are going to post to any questions you may ask if the topic intrests them. You don't need to apologise just be a little more open and understanding towards the aspect that we are all just trying to help.. there is a disclaimer in the site somewhere I've seen it where it states that even when taking an "experts" advice it is still a good idea to contact your local orginization/ government office etc for the proper information from your county, state, provence or country. Just like if someone posted something under hmm lets see I'll use women's health as an example because it's the first to pop into my head... Yes there are nurses etc... but anyone with previous experience or knows someone who's done it etc is going to post if they feel their input might be resourceful but almost every one of them. Including the nurses that may post to the question would all state.. Go See Your Doctor. Because they can not offer treatment, drugs etc... its like that in every question... even people with no experience could post to the question with things they had heard and yes not everything will be right but not everything will be wrong either

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

Where can I go to find what the statute of limitations for provincial offenses and federal offenses? Example: Failure to appear, failure to complete probation (provincial) Possession of drug paraphernalia (federal) Thank you in advance

View more questions Search