Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tristanrulez Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Linux installation
    I have an old windows 98 second edition hp computer and I want to install linux over it. What version of linux do I need were can I download it and how do I install it
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 06:50 AM
    There are several versions ("distributions") of Linux. The one that I use is Ubuntu. You'll need to download the .iso and burn it to a CD or order a free CD. There is quite a bit of support by the Ubuntu community, simply Google it or come back here.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 24, 2009, 05:33 PM

Hi,
    Since this is an older machine, you may want a older distro. The CPU and the amount of RAM are both considerations. Though many that support the Intel CPU have "386" at the end; most are actually 586 or better which means Pentium or better.
    Ubuntu is free and they will send you the CD for free. I have a mchine with Win98SE highly customized on one HD and Centos2 on another HD. Just passed its service life, but freely available from www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System It is built from only open source on the Fedora core, so it is a great study tool for the Linux+ exam.
    Cds can be ordered from Welcome to Linux Cd.org - Best prices for your favorite distro! for a price or downloaded from ibiblio linux archive for the archive at UNC. NCSU and GA Tech have archives near me; but many universities have archives of different sizes. The one Ibiblio seems to have more and give fewer errors.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Aug 27, 2009, 08:31 AM

Get a list of your system's resources and look around distros like Puppy are small
    maxey553 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 05:11 PM

I would recommend Xubuntu over Ubuntu because it contains XFCE, a desktop environment that's highly recommended for slow computers
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jun 11, 2010, 06:51 AM

With a Win 98 type machine we are more than likely looking at a 200-500Mhz processor and 256 or less MB of Ram. Ubuntu is great, however it needs more head room than this system is likely to offer. Dam Small Linux will run on most things or Tiny Core one of the micro distros should do the trick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to partition hard drive linux installation along with existing windows [ 1 Answers ]

How to partition hard drive linux installation along with existing windows

Needed help with Linux installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am basically a windows user keen to enter the world of Linux. I was using which was dual boot, which contained red hat Linux 9.0 and win 98. Last week I had a virus attack and had to re install windows again. As a result Every time the computer boots grub is not coming. Now I tried...

Needed help with Linux installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am basically a windows user keen to enter the world of Linux. I was using which was dual boot, which contained red hat Linux 9.0 and win 98. Last week I had a virus attack and had to re install windows again. As a result Every time the computer boots grub is not coming. Now I tried...

View more questions Search