Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Little lost puppy
    Well...

It has been pouring with rain here for the past day and very very windy.

This afternoon we went to go out to the supermarket and we opened the front door to find a little gold puppy sitting huddled in the corner of our porch.
    He was so excited to see us when we opened to door and ran over wagging his tail.

He was pretty dry so I'd say he had been sitting there for quite some time.

We scooped him up and took him with us in the car (was in a hurry for an appointment)
    He slept on my lap the whole time.
    After our appointment we went to our vets to see if he had a microchip and to see how old they thought he was.

He was untagged, no microchip and the general consensus is that he is a Golden Retriever x Staffordshire Terrier, about 4-5 months old.

He is extremely skinny, his hip bones are sticking out but he has a big belly meaning he is probably full of worms.

The really sad part is that we cannot afford another dog at the moment, we just got our tax return back and that was all used to pay outstanding bills.

He is in our bathroom now with a bed and lots of toys. Gave him a little food and he woofed it down like he had never eaten before.

I don't know if I really have a question, just wanted a bit of reassurance that we aren't horrible people for not keeping him.
    We have enough money to get him wormed and vaccinated but that's about it.

Do you think we should hold onto him until he is a bit healthier and then take him to the shelter, or just take him in first thing in the morning, They would worm and vaccinate him and I don't want to get too attached to him. He is adorable.

Oh and we have left our name at the vets and they wrote down his description in case anyone calls about him, the shelter is not open now.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:31 AM

Are you able to foster her/him until a permanent home can be found. Maybe the shelter can pay for whatever medically is needed.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:45 AM

Thanks, I might ask the shelter about vaccinations and worming, they might help out.

I would be willing to hold onto him once he has been properly vet checked and I know he doesn't have any nasties (parvo etc) as I can't have him with my other dogs until then.
    I hate the idea of him sitting at the shelter :(
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:05 AM

I like Danielsmom's suggestion.

The shelter here will allow puppies to stay with foster homes. It helps socialize them and makes them better pets for the people looking to adopt.

Because you're fostering they will pay for the basics, food, vaccines, deworming, neutering etc.

I'd definitely look into that Shaz.

The only bad thing I see with you doing this. Will you be able to give him up when they find a home for him?
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:06 AM

Oops, I forgot one thing.

Pictures? :)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:09 AM

I knew you would ask for pictures!

I can't find my camera at the moment, I will hunt it down.
    He has a toilet break in about half an hour so I'll try to snap one then.

I like the idea of fostering, I'll have to discuss it with Vaughn though, he wanted to keep him so if we end up fostering he would end up being a permanent fixture I think.

The thing that worries me is that what if his owners come and get him?
    He obviously wasn't well cared for.
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I knew you would ask for pictures!

I can't find my camera at the moment, I will hunt it down.
    He has a toilet break in about half an hour so I'll try to snap one then.

I like the idea of fostering, I'll have to discuss it with Vaughn though, he wanted to keep him so if we end up fostering he would end up being a permanent fixture I think.

The thing that worries me is that what if his owners come and get him?
    He obviously wasn't well cared for.
    I don't think you have to worry about the owners. It sounds to me like they dumped him. Poor wee one.

I can understand wanting to keep him. I'm also betting that's exactly what will happen. ;)

Pictures! Pictures! Find your camera! ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:22 AM

I just looked I can't find it ARGH!

Vaughn gets home in a few hours so I will ask him if he put it somewhere silly!!

I did a quick Google and this is basically what he looks like, a little more stafford like in the head though...

Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:28 AM

Awwww! Soooo cute!

Did you name him?

You know that if you name him you'll keep him.

So what's his name? ;)
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:30 AM

Go on shaz,I know you have a name for him! Go on go on go on.

If the owners turn up,I would be asking some serious questions before handing him over..

His general health,and how he happened to get out at such a young age.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:33 AM
    I'll be waiting for the pup's picture! ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:35 AM

Oh don't worry redhed, they would get a piece of my mind for sure!

We actually called him "Tax"

I have been planning on buying a Chinese Crested show dog for literally years, and we decided to finally buy one with our tax return money.

Well, bills came and we had to spend the tax money on other things so my dog went down the drain.

Today we were going out to the Tax Office to pick up our return when this little guy showed up!!

It's almost as if we were 'meant' to have him.

Hence the name "Tax" :D

I really wish I could keep him, I am seriously considering it but I have to do the math first and be realistic.
    He is not going to be a small dog and I have an entire male here which I currently can't afford to get neutered without dipping into my emergency fund. (something I really avoid doing)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:39 AM

Just had to add to, he is the sweetest dog.
    He has been in the bathroom for 4 hours now without making a sound. I went to the toilet (next to the bathroom) and I heard the cane basket creak so he heard me but never once cried.

(It's nearly 5 in the morning so I'm trying to let him sleep, I wouldn't just leave him in there that long during the day!)

He is toilet trained as well.

This is so hard.
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:40 AM

I believe in fate Shaz. I think this little boy is meant to be yours.

I think I know you pretty well. After 5 minutes with little Tax you were already in love. I also know that if you decide to keep him, he'll will be cared for, you will find a way to make it work.

Whatever you decide will be the right choice. If you decide to re-home him then don't feel guilt, I know you'd only be doing what's best for him. If you decide to keep him, well, lucky pup. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks Alty :)
    I can always count on you for a pick-me-up.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:43 AM

Oh shaz,your done!

Sounds like your falling for this little one.

Tax... great name.
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Thanks Alty :)
    I can always count on you for a pick-me-up.
    That's what I'm here for. That and yelling at people. ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:48 AM

Head over heals, everyone else will to when they see the pictures!

Grrr, stop it shaz! I need a stiff drink.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    That's what I'm here for. That and yelling at people. ;)
    Yeah but you don't yell at me (not yet anyway) so it's all good!
    Pets Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Yeah but you don't yell at me (not yet anyway) so it's all good!
    You never give me a reason to yell at you. :)

Shazzy, you're already in love with this little mite. I know how you feel and I feel for you.

Sit down, see if you can afford to do this. There are sites on the internet that you can get free dog supplies from. Sadly Starby is better at this type of thing, but I'll see what I can find.

Until then, tell yourself that you aren't keeping him, but love him anyway because he deserves it. If it's meant to be it will happen. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I Just Lost My Puppy to Parvo.Will My Adult Dog Get Sick? [ 26 Answers ]

On the morning of Friday Feb. 9th we noticed that our 8 1/2 month old Shih-Tzu had thrown up during the night. We took him to the Vet that morning around 11:00 am. The vet said that he probably just had an upset stomach and a little gas. She gave him a shot for the nausea and prescribed him some...

Puppy lost his mojo [ 1 Answers ]

I am a proud owner of a almost 10wk old Maltipoo (Maltese Poodle). I've had him for six days and he has been just the cutest and most loving and fun puppy ever. The problem started yesterday. He seemed just as happy and upbeat as he had been since we brought him home, however he seemed to be...

Movie about a lost puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Old Cartoon Movie about a little girl, her grandpa, and a puppy on their way home when the truck breaks down in the rain. The little puppy escapes and gets lost.

My Labrador puppy will get lost in my garden! :O [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting a 7 week old Labrador puppy on Saturday, and I have been reading about house breaking! I read that you need to make sure your Labrador has a place to go pee - in your garden! I have a pretty large garden but there is only a grass section in the middle bit, which you can't see from the...

Puppy all of the sudden lost his vision [ 1 Answers ]

Came home from work "Harley" could not see a thing.  Was bumping into walls, etc. Seems disoriented. Can not afford a vet bill. Can someone help, please!

View more questions Search