Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inertia Posts: 308, Reputation: 60

Jul 20, 2009, 07:38 AM

Below my standards wouldn't work, now would it? Cute simply means "I'm attracted to her" and trust me, personality influences how "cute" they are. Everyone thought my GF in college was ugly, but I thought she was pretty hot. After they got to know her, they thought she was hot too. C'mon. All I'm saying is, I've hit a dry spell and it's frustrating, not that I can't get a date. You are right about me processing everything they say, but that's me, always has been. If they have gone almost 30 years saying exspecially, ain't or regardless, it won't work (ha, even spell check didn't catch irregardless). If celeb tabloid news is considered news at all, I've lost interest.
    sweet1028 Posts: 146, Reputation: 43

Jul 20, 2009, 08:08 AM

No girl in the world is perfect. A good personality will take you far pretty or not pretty. So you are saying that if they say certain words, you "ain't" going for them? That's pretty ridiculous, I'll let somebody else help you out I've done said all I can say. If no one else can help you out, they have toys for men too.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 08:33 AM

Hey inertia,longest I went without sex when I was married was 18 months,ex husbands idea not mine..
    And 4 years in my thirties,I suppose that was through choice though... 37 now and in a relationship,so far so good,he was worth the wait!

Like you I was fed up of the dating/club stuff, and moved to a quite area,I was not even looking for someone,he just happened to be my neighbor!

My point is,the drought will end,hopefully before 4 years! But it will end,have a look around you,is there a woman that you not even considered?
    Someone right under your nose.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:17 AM

I'm right there with you buddy. Going on a few months now with out any sort of connection (physically and mentally). I think I miss the mental aspect of sex with a person I love a little more than the physical aspect of the act itself.

A drought is a drought no matter what the circumstances. Good luck. I hope the drought ends for both of us sooner than later.

Hang in there!

Jul 20, 2009, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet1028 View Post
    No girl in the world is perfect. A good personality will take you far pretty or not pretty. So you are saying that if they say certain words, you "ain't" going for them? That's pretty rediculous, I'll let somebody else help you out I've done said all I can say. If no one else can help you out, they have toys for men too.

Woah!! Did I strike a nerve or something? Ridiculous in your eyes, maybe. How we speak says more about us as individuals than what we wear, what we do or what kind of music we listen to. My English is far from perfect and my vocabulary could always most certainly grow, but in order for me to respect the person I'm dating, we have to be in the same ball park. I'm certain someone with a PhD in literature would find my speech atrocious. Everyone talks about respect on this board and while I think it's important to always be respectful to other human beings; true mutual respect is necessary in romantic relationships. I also work out. Again, I'm not looking for a swimsuit model, but in order for us to be compatible, we have to place importance on similar things.

I never said other people's standards were ridiculous. If girls like guys with long hair, I'm certainly not their type. I don't yell at them for being closed minded.
    jmw0713 Posts: 1,012, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:41 AM

No girl in the world is perfect. A good personality will take you far pretty or not pretty. So you are saying that if they say certain words, you "ain't" going for them? That's pretty ridiculous, I'll let somebody else help you out I've done said all I can say. If no one else can help you out, they have toys for men too.
    She's just mad that she can't have you that's all.. LOL!

Jul 20, 2009, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed35 View Post
    hey inertia,longest i went without sex when i was married was 18 months,ex husbands idea not mine..
    and 4 years in my thirties,i suppose that was through choice though...37 now and in a relationship,so far so good,he was worth the wait!

like you i was fed up of the dating/club stuff, and moved to a quite area,i was not even looking for someone,he just happened to be my neighbor!

my point is,the drought will end,hopefully before 4 years!! but it will end,have a look around you,is there a woman that you not even considered?
    someone right under your nose.
    Well my ex lives less than a mile away (just kidding). No one under my nose I'm afraid. This is a true dry spell. It's a little scary. I'm just at the age where all of my old friends and female contacts are married with kids or about to be. The good news is, I've decided to back to grad school, so I suppose there is a chance I may meet someone there.
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Grad school is a great place to meet people. And the people you meet will have the same education level as you and likely have similar interests.

As for the grammar/vocabulary debate... I understand completely. That is a pet peeve of mine, also.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Now I remember, you're the one who started a thread where you wrote that all of your friends are married, and their suggestion to explain why you aren't is that your standards are too high. From the demeanor of your post, particularly this quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia
    Woah!!! Did I strike a nerve or something?
    (re-read your reaction, you're defensive, she struck a nerve with you) I can see what they mean. I don't think sweet1028 was wrong at all in what she said.

You can't expect to have much luck in the sack if you scrutinize everyone you come across. This isn't a bad thing, but if something's not working, it's probably time for a change. And if you refuse to put yourself out there and go to bars and singles gatherings I don't know what else to tell you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck.

Jul 20, 2009, 10:37 AM

Oh slapshot, you got me. What can I say? The "your being defensive" accusation is pretty weak, don't you think? I realize I'm somewhat antagonistic, but I don't name call. This (AMHP) is my private little interactive journal. Trust me, I argue with myself more than I argue with all of you. It's how I reason. That will never change because it works. I'm not sorry to say that I'm a catch. I'm looking for another catch. A dry spell and "something's isn't working" are completely different. I have been pretty successful thus far. My love life can't always be satisfying. I'm going through a somewhat lonely period. Sure, I could "lower" my standards and snag someone up today, but in the end, I'll hurt them and I know it. "Lower your standards" is horrible advice to anyone. It isn't as if I'll only date movie stars or something. I am going on dates and I certainly give everyone the opportunity. I'm not naïve enough to assume I can determine compatibility in minutes. I get rejected too. It's what being single is about.

Jul 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Everyone is so quick to dispense advice on how someone should change here. Sometimes things just suck. You ride it out. My God, I think someone could seriously develop personality disorders if they spent too much time on this site. As a matter of fact, I think I'm done here. I'm eternally grateful to the folks that saw me through my recent break up. This site does offer plenty of wonderful tools to use in getting over a bad break up, however I should move on if I'm just looking to complain a little with other folks that are probably in the same boat as me.

I'm not leaving on a bad note, I just realize that I have somewhat outgrown the use of this site as a sounding board. I'd like to point out KCTiger, Romefalls and Talaniman are pretty much right on in everything they say. Although, I do like to argue with KCTiger because he does too.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post

I'm not leaving on a bad note, I just realize that I have somewhat outgrown the use of this site as a sounding board. I'd like to point out KCTiger, Romefalls and Talaniman are pretty much right on in everything they say. Although, I do like to argue with KCTiger because he does too.
    Right back at you buddy! You'll get out of this soon... lowering your standards would compromise yourself as a person and that clearly isn't the answer... never is. Stay the course and eventually you will get there. (Best advice I could do right now, I know it ain't much)... :cool:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 10:52 AM

Nice rant/vent, tame by my standards, but okay in of itself.

Jul 20, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Nice rant/vent, tame by my standards, but okay in of itself.

Well, I'm sure I'll develop into the uncompromising old badger you are some day. You remind me of my dad. I'm still young enough for a bleeding heart.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    I realize I'm somewhat antagonistic, but I don't name call. This (AMHP) is my private little interactive journal. Trust me, I argue with myself more than I argue with all of you.
    I believe you, people who strive for perfection are always hard on themselves and then hold others to the same standards.

Hope it all works out for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Missing w-2 [ 1 Answers ]

I have not received my w-2 from my employer - they said they mailed it and I never received. Now what?

What could be missing? [ 9 Answers ]

So last night my boyfriend and I were texting and he asked how happy I was with him on a scale of 1 to 10. I told him a 9.99 because his moods are really unpredictable. One minute he'll be laughing and fine and the next he's in a bad mood. So then he said "10...I think" He then said "I feel...

What is missing? [ 8 Answers ]

Just was wondering what, if anything, people felt was missing in cinema today. Is there an attribute actors don't have that we wish did or did have that we wish didn't? What kind of movies do we need more of or less of? In a world where there is nothing new under the sun, what could possibly be...

Something is missing. But what? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my name is Kai and I am 15, a similar question has been addressed before in one of the forums, but I feel my case is a bit different. Before I start I will briefly introduce myself. I am a very rational person, I enjoy everything to do with science, philosophy and technology, I love...

What's missing? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not exactly a beginner but for the life of me, I cannot get my Lexmark Z82 to work on mySony Vaio home PC with XP Home. I've updated the latest drivers from the Lexmark website... I've asked my computer for help: dumb as me... The printer can copy docs by itself but nothing, even...

View more questions Search