Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Wood floor finishes
    If my bare wood floor absorbs any water spills immediately into it (it doesn't even bead for a second), what are some options for treating it? It's just one room. Thanks for any tips.
    epawls Posts: 103, Reputation: 16

Jul 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
    More information is needed... is it composite flooring? Is it new construction or old and you are refinishing it? If it is real wood, do you know what type of wood it is.. Typically, if you let the water stain dry and sand it, the discoloration will fade. Use 220 grit sandpaper and an orbital sander. Put some kind of sealant on the wood to avoid this from happening again. If it is new, just replace the affected slat or let dry and sand, if it is old, let dry and sand... either way, put some sort of polyurethane on the bare wood to seal it.

Let me know how you make out...
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:37 PM

If this is actually a solid wood floor and you like the color of it and there is no wax build up, Sand the floor and seal it The best sealer I use on the Job site is Mimwax Spar Urethane. Its also used on boats so you can see how durable it is. It comes in gloss/ semigloss /satin.

After floor is free of wax sand the floor with w medium grit sandpaper. You can go to fine grit if you want to after that. The real important part here is get ALL the dust up. I use tack rags on high end jobs or a slightly damp sponge. Apply a coat of Mimwax. Let dry. A fine grit sandpaper and then remove all dust again. One more coat and your are done. I guarantee it will repel water like oil does, If you want to re stain it a bit. After sanding the first time use a sock and lightly go over the floor and let dry overnight.
    Apply first coat of sealer. And so on.

If it's a bad looking floor a floor sanding machine will sand everything down to a newer wood look. Then clear coat it or stain with a sock/small rag ans seal it. Never use the stain ans sealer all in one. That should be taken off the shelves. Worst thing I ever used on the Job sites.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does wood floor sweat [ 4 Answers ]

Have a wood flooring ,had to pull it up as we had a strong smell, found the floor wet to touch under the plastic, but we also had rain or pool water coming in through the wood floor from outside on 2 floorwalls. At the moment I'm drying the room I have all the wood up will cork around the room to...

Wood floor scratch repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have oak hardwoods, sealed. I moved a piece of furniture and left behind on the floor two three inch deep scratchs. How can I fix this or do I need to call in a floor guy.

Wood dust on floor-bugs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have wood dust underneath the sideboard in our dining room. What insect is causing this, or better yet what to use to rid this problem. Thanks:rolleyes:

Wood floor over peel and stick [ 3 Answers ]

Can I glue wood flooring over a peel and stick floor.

Floor tile over wood [ 1 Answers ]

Want to lay peel and stick floor tile over hardwood floor planks in bathroom, but there are cracks between some of the planks, as they have been replaced. What would be best to fill them with? The replaced wood is also unpainted. Should it be painted before putting down the tile? Thanks for...

View more questions Search