Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elnajjar6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Getting child support form non custodial parent
    I have had an open case in Claifornia for a few years now. I was awarded $284 a month and have not reaceived a penny. The non custodial parent has a job but no proof and then tells the system he has no job at all. The outcome of not paying support is so far... suspension of license, bad credit, and then jail. However he doesn't care to go to jail? How can I get money for my child. The system says these are the worst things that can happen. This is so unfair. Any advice??
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 02:49 PM

That's pretty much it, worse case scenario, arrearage accumulates, warrant out for his arrest, then jail.

Not much that'll help you financially, actually worse for all of us tax payers paying for his free stay and meals in the slammer!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2009, 03:39 PM

What have you done to enforce the order? If he doesn't pay then you need to go back to the court to enforce the order.
    elnajjar6 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 03:39 PM

Totally true. Being in jail to him is no biggy and I don't want to pay for him to be there either. Thanks for your help...
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elnajjar6 View Post
    totally true. Being in jail to him is no biggy and I dont want to pay for him to be there either. Thanks for your help...
    That suck for you! But think of it this way, unless he's making A TON of money, the money he's hiding (none reportable or under the table income), you probably won't get much anyway.

Courts however will set the "minimal" support based on minimum wages.

Shoot, jail is no biggy, send him there!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 03:57 PM

If he is willing to sit in jail, then no there is nothing else. And that is not a minor thing, they have not allowed beating or quartering for some time now.

But if he is working, just prove he is working to the court, if there is a court order served on the place he is working and they would refuse to pay, they can actually be obligated to pay.
    But if you can prove he is working they will make them pay.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 05:17 PM

How exactly do you know he / she is working ?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:52 PM

If he/she is willing to sit in jail then there really isn't any more you can do other than learn from your mistakes. Arrearages stack up and yes he/she will eventually go to jail but if they don't think that is a problem then that is all you can do. Keep going back to court try to prove he/she is working and then watch him/her go to jail for a while. If the ncp has bank accounts liens can be placed on them but for those that really just don't want to pay no matter what there isn't much you can do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing custodial parent & child support [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 17 will be 18 in November.He lives with his mother and I pay child support to her.He wants to live with me(Her husband has verbally abused my son for 11 years)He wanted to do this 2 years ago but they talked him out of it.I want him to live with me.My question is how to I go about...

Child support issue-Child no longer with custodial parent [ 22 Answers ]

My child is 18 yrs old and is no longer living with her mother.I am paying child support in New Hampshire and have recently learned through a subpoena that my daughter is living in New York state. Can child support charge me in 2 states on the same child? What steps can I take to have the child...

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

Non custodial parent rights in death of a child he pays support for [ 5 Answers ]

Friend who is non custodial parent - his daughter killed last night in car wreck in MD. What are his rights as to state of burial. Mother moves around. He pays child support to Lancaster, PA, where they did live. SHe wants child buried in SC where she is moving to.

Child support/custodial parent moves in with boyfriend [ 5 Answers ]

I just got ordered by court to pay $200 a week in child support for my one daughter. Now I find out from my 9 year old daughter that her mommy's boyfriend has been living with them and now are moving into other house. He is paying for everything. My question is can my child support be...

View more questions Search