Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyJuliaHale Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 01:26 PM
    CD & DVD drive can't read CDs
    It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I just got this problem yesterday when I started installing Microsoft Office Small Business 2000. An error screen had popped up, saying something like "make sure you can access your D:/ drive" or something like that. It kept doing it over and over when I tried to download the disc. After that, the disc refused to eject, so I had to keep restarting my computer for it to eject the disc. I tried uninstalling the disc drive, but it still does the same thing. I've tried a million different things, like trying to reinstall Windows XP, but as it cannot read the disc, it did not work. I've tried popping other discs into the drive, but it still didn't pop up, and when I went to My Computer, it said that the D: drive was there, but it didn't have the name of the CD/DVD or "Audio CD" on it. Though, it ejects these CDs, just not the Microsoft Office 2000 one. I've even tried updating Windows XP, but it didn't help. Basically, I've tried every advice out there. I came here to ask, in case there was any hope of fixing it without having to go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a new one.

Just to specify: My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501 and runs on Windows XP.
    COOKIE MONSTER Posts: 589, Reputation: 56

Jul 19, 2009, 04:42 PM

Doe's the disc spin [sound like its trying to read the disc]?

Have you been on to dells site to see if you can download a new driver from there site?

If dell doesn't have a driver for you to download I would go and buy a new disc drive,you don't have to buy a new tower it won't cost much for a new drive and there easy to plug in and install some come with there own drivers on disc.

Oh and if a disc ever gets stuck in the drive again get a safety pin or paper clip [straighten the paper clip] and stick it in the little hole next to the eject button on the cd/dvd drive and it'll give you your disc back
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 05:08 PM

See if you can do a system restore back to before you tried to install small business, preferably a time when you know the drive was working properly.

Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore
    -Choose a date/time before issue

Hopefully simple as that, if not a software issue it would be going to be hardware (drive itself)
    -Recently ran into similar situation, was working when doing something then just stopped
    Had to purchase new one, about $70 (DVD/CD RW Dual Layer)

Jul 19, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by COOKIE MONSTER View Post
    Doe's the disc spin [sound like its trying to read the disc]?

have you been on to dells site to see if you can download a new driver from there site?

if dell doesn't have a driver for you to download i would go and buy a new disc drive,you dont have to buy a new tower it wont cost much for a new drive and there easy to plug in and install some come with there own drivers on disc.

oh and if a disc ever gets stuck in the drive again get a safety pin or paper clip [straighten the paper clip] and stick it in the little hole next to the eject button on the cd/dvd drive and it'll give you your disc back
    Yes, it does spin around and make a sort of "clicking" noise, then stops.

Yes, I have been to the Dell website for a new driver, but it won't let me download it, because it always says "cannot download because a file wasn't chosen, go back to Drivers & Downloads to select a file" I do this over and over again.

Jul 19, 2009, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    See if you can do a system restore back to before you tried to install small business, preferably a time when you know the drive was working properly.

Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore
    -Choose a date/time before issue

Hopefully simple as that, if not a software issue it would be going to be hardware (drive itself)
    -Recently ran into similar situation, was working when doing something then just stopped
    Had to purchase new one, about $70 (DVD/CD RW Dual Layer)
    I've already done a System Restore, but it didn't work. The DVD/CD drive still doesn't work.

Ah, I'll probably end up having to buy an new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD drive won't read CDs. [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine all day today until I put in a newly burnt CD-R (burnt on another computer, by the way, this one is just a plain cdrom drive), a CD-R which seems to have been faulty (if that's possible). This CD had nothing but video files (no audio), but when I put it into the computer Windows...

My cd and dvd drive will not read anything [ 5 Answers ]

My cd and dvd drive will not read anything, and I do not know much about computers so I do not know what to do, Thanks for anyone who can help!! :eek:

My CD drive won't read CDs [ 1 Answers ]

I looked for an answer online and asked the HP tech support, I couldn't find anything online, and the HP support wanted to sell me a new one, so now I found this website and could use some help. My CD drive has had a lot of trouble opening and closing, after awhile it wouldn't burn CDs, but just...

Cd drive will not read CDs [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, I recently went to install Hellgate : London but my CD drive won't read the disk, saying there is an empty disk in the drive, asking me if I want to format it. Please help, this problem is very annoying :(

My CD Drive won't read CDs! [ 28 Answers ]

It just won't run any discs, It opens and closes, but refuses to read. I have had the problem for a while but It never really bothered me... Until I just tried to install Morrowind. Now it's personal, and needs to be fixed. My parents will not do anything about it because "it doesn't concern them,...

View more questions Search