Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Good cleaner for vinyl floors
    Does anyone know of a good cleaner for vinyl floors? I usually use Lysol + water but it tends to leave the floor "sticky". I like the disinfecting qualities of Lysol but don't like the "sticky" feeling when it dries. I've experienced the same results with Swiffer pads. I know there are some steam mops on the market but I can't really afford to buy one of those right now. If anyone knows of a good cleaner that's safe to be used on vinyl flooring and doesn't require rinsing, I'd gladly appreciate it!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 12:41 PM

Hi, kiddo, you have a problem of build up guck I guess, I don't been dirt guck build up. You are going to have to use a stripper to get it back to square one. I guess you know that already. Have you been using a lot of mop n glo on it, or some kind of instant wax ?

I haven't used a stripper in years, I went over to the stickemdown good grade tiles.

I am assuming you have the vinyl that comes by the square yard ?

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 09:00 PM

Hey tick,
    Thanks for responding but no, I don't have any buildup. I just had the floor installed within the past year and I've never used anything other than Lysol or Swiffer to clean it; never any type of wax or "shine" products.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 07:47 AM

Hi, yes. I would suggest vinegar and water as a good cleaner that doesn't require rinsing and it is environmentally safe to use. Actually an excellent cleaner for counter tops, stoves and most definitely windows. Mix 3 to one, say l cup vinegar to three cups water

I find it odd that your floor is stick after drying as in using a strong cleaner on a floor that has been waxed with mop and glo, I have run into that situation and is frustrating.

Your floor is new, you should not be having that stickiness.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:55 AM

See I just think it's the Lysol. I prefer Lysol because it disinfects in addition to the fresh, clean smell but the "stickiness" afterwards is horrible.

I think vinegar is a good idea but honestly I can't stand the smell of vinegar; do you know of a commercial cleaner? :o

I was thinking about trying a mixture of 1 part bleach and 3 parts water but I didn't know if it may ruin the floor.
    Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 11:01 AM

If you use the bleach, you will get the stickniness after drying.

You can buy scented raspberry vinegar, but remember you are watering it down, so you won't notice the scent very much and it disappears a couple of minutes after using. It also freshens the air in a room and works on cigarette smoke and cooking odors.

The benefits of using vinegar are l0 fold. Burn a scented candle while you are using it, burn an incense stick at the same time. You won't notice the vinegar smell. You are not alone on this, many people can't tolerate the smell of vinegar but there are ways of diminishing the smell.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good vinyl siding price per square? [ 5 Answers ]

It's been awhile since I've called around. I'm told that a good price for a decent grade (for back sides of apartments) vinyl siding is $46 per square. (I'm in central Ohio, and not buying bulk... probably buying 12 squares at a time once every other month or so) Does that sound about...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Know anything about Air Cleaner for Home? [ 3 Answers ]

HI I want to know are there any air cleaner for home that's cheap,easy to use, quiet and no need to filter and cleans almost everything that's in the air. :) Tell me the site too Thanks a lot

Wood vinyl floors [ 2 Answers ]

I have vinyl wood floors and I mop them 2 times a day and they use to be shinny but now they have a white gloss over them and no matter how much I mop them or scrub them it doesn't go away what can I do to fix this problem cause it is making me feel like my floors are dirty when I know that I mop...

Best vacuum cleaner? [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about buying a new vacuum cleaner and would like a recommendation on one that you have found to be good at really suctioning up the dirt. Price is not a factor.

View more questions Search