Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jay1pizza Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Suspicion of very bad mouth odor
    Hello, I have a problem that has not been diagnosed.I have bad breath that can
    Be smelled when my mouth is closed.If people sit next to me or if I walk
    By they gesture as if they detect it.when I brush my teeth,the smell never changes
    Not even for a minute.Its as if I did nothing at all.I floss,tonguescrape and rinse.
    Even after eating no changes except people seem to sniff more or have even
    More reaction.It is 24 hrs a day.When I am resting in my room,someone come
    Through and itches their nose indicating they smell it.I keep myself clean so I know
    It is not a B.O. issue because I have heard the comments and slick hints.
    I have had deep cleanings,and dental procedures that does absolutely nothing
    For the problem.I always have a dry not so fresh taste in my mouth every day
    Sometimes bad taste.I chew gum all the time and it does not even freshen the
    Odor or mask it.Most times,I have to keep chewing the gum so it can cover
    Up the bad taste in my mouth a little so I can give myself enough confidence and energy
    To open my mouth and speak.I even go to sleep with the gum in mouth daily
    So when I awake I can start chewing on it to avoid the even dryer mouth and taste.
    I also have to constantly put chap stick on my lips all year long.
    People have smelled my breath from 10 feet away or more.
    I believe something is going on that is probably the cause of all this for so many
    Years but I am having difficulty getting a prognosis.I have something whitish on
    Both of my inner cheeks.Some of it looks like jelly,mucuos or snot.I can move it around
    With my tongue but it does not come off.I believe this probably appeared little before
    Or after a severe longterm tonsil infection,but not sure.I do know,I never remembered
    Having anything whitish on my cheeks they were both all pink.However,I got the tonsils
    Removed in 1997 and nothing changed. None of my family members have this film
    On their cheeks.Does anyone know what this is and maybe think that I can possibly
    Be right with this suspicion that this film on my cheeks is the reason my breath smell
    So bad?
    renee78 Posts: 37, Reputation: 6

Oct 17, 2006, 08:31 PM
    Do you find yourself breathing through your mouth? And breathing through your mouth at night? Have you been told you have a reduced saliva flow? Are you a smoker?

Oct 17, 2006, 08:49 PM
    I am not an open mouth breather nor have I ever touched a cigarette.I am
    Not a drinker either.I think there could possibly be a saliva issue,really do
    Not know.I am in my 30's now and this has plague me over 15 years.I drink
    Plenty of water and fluids but never feel dehydrated.
    I know it is not my teeth and gums either.Could it be stomach origin?
    But I strongly believe it has connection to this stuff on my cheeks.
    Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2006, 03:54 AM
    Are you taking any medication? Do you know if you have an ulcer?

Oct 18, 2006, 07:50 AM
    I am not on any current meds although (anxiety) have been prescribed off
    And on but I refuse to take them.As far as the ulcer thing goes,I do not
    Have any symptons.Was last at the clinic about a month ago and I have
    A clean bill of health.
    Cyndane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2006, 01:00 AM
    The white-ish stuff sounds like oral thrush to me... thrush is a fungus. Mostly only babies or elderly get it, but others can too. Especially after a long illness.
    Something else to think about: If you have reflux, lung problems, or a hiatal hernia, that can affect your breath as well.
    Drink plenty of water daily, avoid severe dieting, and visit your denist. If the dentist can't find a cause, see your doctor.

Another thought is dry mouth, also called xerostomia. Mayo Clinic says:

Dry mouth (xerostomia). This occurs when the salivary glands don't produce enough moisture. Dry mouth disrupts the balance of normal microorganisms in your mouth, increasing your risk of oral thrush. Although not itself a disease, dry mouth can be a symptom of certain illnesses, including Sjogren's syndrome — an autoimmune disease that causes an extremely dry mouth and eyes. Bone marrow transplants, stress or anxiety, depression, and certain nutritional deficiencies also can cause a dry mouth. So can chemotherapy, radiation to the head and neck area and hundreds of medications — especially antidepressants, pain and high blood pressure drugs, tranquilizers, diuretics and antihistamines.
    stinkie_minkie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1pizza
    Hello, I have a problem that has not been diagnosed.I have bad breath that can
    be smelled when my mouth is closed.If people sit next to me or if I walk
    by they gesture as if they detect it.when I brush my teeth,the smell never changes
    not even for a minute.Its as if I did nothing at all.I floss,tonguescrape and rinse.
    more reaction.It is 24 hrs a day.When I am resting in my room,someone come
    thru and itches their nose indicating they smell it.I keep myself clean so I know
    it is not a B.O. issue because I have heard the comments and slick hints.
    for the problem.I always have a dry not so fresh taste in my mouth every day
    sometimes bad taste.I chew gum all the time and it does not even freshen the
    odor or mask it.Most times,i have to keep chewing the gum so it can cover
    up the bad taste in my mouth a little so I can give myself enough confidence and energy
    to open my mouth and speak.I even go to sleep with the gum in mouth daily
    so when I awake I can start chewing on it to avoid the even dryer mouth and taste.
    I believe something is going on that is probably the cause of all this for so many
    years but I am having difficulty getting a prognosis.I have something whitish on
    both of my inner cheeks.Some of it looks like jelly,mucuos or snot.I can move it around
    with my tongue but it does not come off.I believe this probably appeared little before
    or after a severe longterm tonsil infection,but not sure.I do know,I never remembered
    having anything whitish on my cheeks they were both all pink.However,I got the tonsils
    removed in 1997 and nothing changed. none of my family members have this film
    on their cheeks.Does anyone know what this is and maybe think that I can possibly
    be right with this suspicion that this film on my cheeks is the reason my breath smell
    so bad?
    Hi how are you doing with your problem to be honest with you I have the same symptoms and people comment and cover there nose and every thing when I walk by it is totally humiliating what are we going to do? I am at a point where I feel as if there is nothing that I can do but at the same time I refuse to give up I will keep going to the doctor my husband is totally annoyed with the whole situation and he is like get over it but he knows how bad it is because from time to time his nose is tickled by but he tries to play it off because he knows how much I cried and cried about not being able to fix the problem I guess this is god way of punishing me for something but I have always been a very nice person and I would not treat any one the way I have been treated as far as people not being able to smell them. If I didn't like your smell I would get your face just see what every one is saying they smell and then cver my nose and run we live in a very cruel world. I know this has not been very helpful to your situation but I just wanted you to know that we share the same pain and to let you know that if I find a cure I will let you know ASAP. Thank you and I am sorry this has happen to us.
    stinkie_minkie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Hety I need some advise on how to cope with this because I am losining it I quit my job I do not leave the house and my husband is becoming pretty upset with me be I am sure if it were him he would not leave the house either please help me
    SELF CONS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Hi, I also have the same problem. It seems to be worse after having eaten and am coming to the conclusion that it has to do with digestion. I will start by giving details about myself and what medications I take. I am a 43 year old diabetic type 1 on insulin. I take Eltzroxin for my slow functioning thyroid and Coversyl to regulate my high blood pressure. I have a suspicion that regularly drinking milk and eating fruit, both of which I rarely take, could help. Will let you know..?
    RN4ER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 10:30 PM
    Is there any chance you could be HIV positive? No disrespect intended. Reason being that unless you are immunosuppressed for some reason, adults just don't get thrush, which is what it sounds like you have. You need a regimen of Nystatin, which is an antifungal. The thing that doesn't make sense is that any dentist or doctor should've picked up on a diagnosis of oral thrush, as it is a very simple diagnosis to make and not one that requires any sort of specialized training. It puzzles me why they haven't diagnosed this. The other thing is that thrush doesn't typically cause an offensive odor like you are describing, but what does is strep. So, even if you do have thrush, my inclination is that you also have something else going on, like strep. Strep stinks! And you can smell it a mile away, especially if someone has an infection that has been brewing awhile. The only other thing is MONO... but, you'd be sick as a dog if you had that... without question. So, outside of maybe a intestinal obstruction... and you'd know it if you had that, too... I would get your throat cultured. You're liable to have a couple of different things going on, but if I was a betting woman, iI would bet that strep is one of them for sure. And it may take a couple of rounds of antibiotics to get the bacteria erraticated. Another reason to get strep treated promptly is because it will wreak havoc on your kidneys and put you into renal failure, and then you'll know what problems are all about. Good luck... get a throat culture :)

~Lindsey, RN, BSN, CEN, CLNC
    miami79 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Has anyone who suffered from this condition had major dental work done before they had these symptoms?

May 9, 2007, 04:30 AM
    [QUOTE=jay1pizza]Hello, I have a problem that has not been diagnosed.I have bad breath that can
    Be smelled when my mouth is closed.If people sit next to me or if I walk
    By they gesture as if they detect it.when I brush my teeth,the smell never changes
    Not even for a minute.Its as if I did nothing at all.I floss,tonguescrape and rinse.
    More reaction.It is 24 hrs a day.When I am resting in my room,someone come
    Through and itches their nose indicating they smell it.I keep myself clean so I know
    It is not a B.O. issue because I have heard the comments and slick hints.
    For the problem.I always have a dry not so fresh taste in my mouth every day
    Sometimes bad taste.I chew gum all the time and it does not even freshen the
    Odor or mask it.Most times,I have to keep chewing the gum so it can cover
    Up the bad taste in my mouth a little so I can give myself enough confidence and energy
    To open my mouth and speak.I even go to sleep with the gum in mouth daily
    So when I awake I can start chewing on it to avoid the even dryer mouth and taste.
    Years but I am having difficulty getting a prognosis.I have something whitish on
    Both of my inner cheeks.Some of it looks like jelly,mucuos or snot.I can move it around
    With my tongue but it does not come off.I believe this probably appeared little before
    Or after a severe longterm tonsil infection,but not sure.I do know,I never remembered
    Having anything whitish on my cheeks they were both all pink.However,I got the tonsils
    Removed in 1997 and nothing changed. None of my family members have this film
    On their cheeks.Does anyone know what this is and maybe think that I can possibly
    Be right with this suspicion that this film on my cheeks is the reason my breath smell
    So bad?[/QUOTE

Hello everyone,
    Check out the symptoms to a condition called leaky gut syndrome.

May 9, 2007, 04:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by miami79
    Has anyone who suffered from this condition had major dental work done before they had these symptoms?

Check out the symptoms to a condition called leaky gut syndrome.
    gorgeouslady Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

May 9, 2007, 06:26 PM
    I used to have this same problem but not as bad though.mine was caused by having sinus.I have sinus infection and everyday I suffer from sinus.I later found out that part of your brain,where your forehead is located, can be infected by sores caused by sinus.and when there is sore in your brain it causes bad breath.I am an african and in the united states here.I just told my mum about it and she sent me a local medicine made of herbs which I mix with a little water and snuff it into my nose.it goes straight into my brain and I feel it burning me meaning it's working.I saw results the very next day and now I use it every 4 days.my bad breath is gone completely,but apart from my african medicine I don't know which other medication would help unless you Google up solutions for bad breath.you are not alone and don't let this put you down.

May 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Stinkie minkie or Jay did any of you have dental work done because the bad taste and smell could be due to dental work done especially a root canal. I have the same problem and it all started to happen after I got a root canal procedure.
    twomuttsmom Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2007, 12:06 AM
    I would agree with oral thrush if the spots are in your mouth.

It may also be possible that you have "Tonsillolith". These are beige, soft clusters of material that settle in the back of the throat or around the area where your wisdome teeth would be. They adhere to the mucous membrane and make you feel a sensation in the back of your throat sometimes. Do you ever spit any of these up? They are quite strong in their smell.

One way to get rid of them is to put a Q-tip dipped in hydrogen peroxide back there, but you may gag. If you can get past the gagging, you can reach them with your tooth brush.

An ENT could diagnose you better than a dentist.
    Look this term up further and see if this describes what you have...
    Good luck

Jun 22, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Please check out the website Apria.com. There may be a possible diagnosis for this problem we suffer.
    Geek2me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 03:54 PM
    There is something called tonsil stones, which can cause the same symptoms, including the chapped lips, but since you do not have tonsils it may not be it. It happens when food particles get caught in the pockets or crevices of your tonsils. Your white blood cells come in and try to fight it off producing a sulfa type ball, whitish or yellowish in color that sticks to your tonsils and smells really bad! You can use a water pick and spray the back of your throat and see if anything comes out. Becareful it can make you gag, but really try to get back in there. I would continue to do this every few days to keep them clean. Since you don't have your tonsils maybe there isa some other spot the are hiding where food can get trapped. Not sure about the white film on your cheeks. Good luck and hope this helps, let me know!

Jul 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Okay so I come to the conclusion that this probably has a lot to do with dry mouth. Dry mouth is triggered by certain illnesses as well as certain type of medication. Dry mouth causes little or no saliva flow. When that happens, it disturbs the balance of bad breath bacteria in the mouth therefore causing it to multiply. The more of this bacteria the worse the breath smells. This bacteria seems to find itself on the bac of the tongue. If you take your finger or a spoon and scrape the back of your tongue and it smells his will be a good indication on how bad the breath is. Unfortunately there is no cure for bad breath and as for those products that claim to work, I haven't encountered one person who said that it does work for them. Hopefully there will be better treatments for this illness because it is wrecking our lives.
    misu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
    Maybe you just have a sinus infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad taste in mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had a root canal filling on a wisdom tooth 2 weeks ago. I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since. For the past week I have been taking antibiotics as the root filled tooth became so painful. Now much better but still bad taste in my mouth. Any ideas?

BAD odor in house and garage [ 3 Answers ]

I have owned my house for about a year now and there has been a dead animal smell off and on during this time. The first time it went away I was relieved thinking it was over, however several weeks later it was back. I cannot find a leak, a dead animal or any clue to the problem. I know there is...

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

Bad Odor.. please help [ 6 Answers ]

I have a very horrible odor from my vagina, I know I am and ot alone in this because. I have tried looking for solutions online and have found many women with the same problem. I wash everyday with anti bacterial soap and I use cotton underwear. At the end of they day there's white/brown stuff on...

Bad Odor in Attic/Third Floor [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I assumed one of our cats "sprayed" upstairs in our third floor bathroom (converted attic). The smell has come back after two full floor washings with enzyme remover. The smell seems to be strongest under the bathroom sink. When we checked the adjoining kitchenette, it seems to...

View more questions Search