Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justincaseme Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 12:08 AM
    Recessed Lighting - Dimmable CFLs - Need an overview
    I've been trying to make sense of all the different recessed lighting options. Here's the setup I'd like. Is this possible?

* 6 recessed lights connected to single dimmer, Insulated Ceiling, New construction
    * Have the option to use either dimmable CFLs OR incandescents
    * bulbs of either type should not extend beneath the can/ceiling level

- What kind of dimmer switch would I need? Is there an Insteon (home automation) version available? Insteon
    - Are dimming components contained in the switch, the recessed lighting can, or both? Why do some can setups say they are dimmable but others don't?
    - Is there a way to have the light coverage dispersed and wide as opposed to narrow and cylindrical? Is there a way to achieve this without the bulb hanging below the ceiling level?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 04:21 AM
    My comments are in red:

Quote Originally Posted by justincaseme View Post
    I've been trying to make sense of all the different recessed lighting options. Here's the setup I'd like. Is this possible?

* 6 recessed lights connected to single dimmer, Insulated Ceiling, New construction
    Fine, should be simple enough to do, this is a standard circuit.

* Have the option to use either dimmable CFLs OR incandescents
    Any incandescent recess fixture will accept any screw in CFL. Need to be sure the trim will fit the lamp you chose, either Inc of CFL.

* bulbs of either type should not extend beneath the can/ceiling level

This will depend on the trim and lamp match.

- What kind of dimmer switch would I need? Is there an Insteon (home automation) version available? Insteon

These are standard dimmers for incandescent lamps. Any CFL must be dimmable, which will be usable in an incandescent dimmer.

- Are dimming components contained in the switch, the recessed lighting can, or both? Why do some can setups say they are dimmable but others dont?

Usually the dimmer action is done at the switch level. Some cans may be CFL only using plug in CFL lamps, and the ballast is not dimmable.

If we knew what make and model number(s) of recess fixtures your considering, we could comment better.

- Is there a way to have the light coverage dispersed and wide as opposed to narrow and cylindrical? Is there a way to achieve this without the bulb hanging below the ceiling level?

Beam spread or light distribution is done by a reflector, which can be done with a trim of a recess fixture, or a lamp. A standard A lamp, your plain vanilla everyday light bulb, or a spiral CFL lamp, is a point source and would need a reflector trim. or you can use a Reflector lamp, either Inc or CFL, in a recess can without a reflector trim.
    While you pose some good questions, they are too general to be able to comment with any specific detail without typing pages of information hoping to touch on the detail you seek.

Provide make and model numbers of the recess lights and lamps your considering.

Jul 19, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Thanks TK, this gives me more to go on. I didn't even know there was such a thing as Reflector Trim. I'll put together a list of parts of post back.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 04:13 AM
    Try this recess selector, click on the numbers 1-6, each will help you select the proper trim, lamp, etc.

Cooper Lighting | Design | Easy Selection Guide | Step 1
    May help with understanding which lamp to use with which trim.

So many times, I find a non-reflector trim with a standard A lamp, and they wonder why there is low or no light on the floor. I can often solve lighting problems simply by using the proper lamp.

Besides not having use of the light, often times when the wrong lamp is used, the heat that normally would get reflected out remains in the housing, causing the thermal sensor to trip, and damages the interior of the housing and the wiring.

Jul 21, 2009, 11:16 PM

TK, I checked the site you linked above and then went back to the merchants websites for another look. A few more questions came up -

* What's the difference between an "IC" can and an "Airtite IC Can"? The plain IC can seems to be much cheaper while handing a higher wattage (150).
    Halo 6" IC Housing - $6.99
    Sea Gull Incandescent IC Airtight Housing - $29.94

* If you can put a Type A (?) screw-in CFL into a regular Incandescent can, or even a dimmable CFL into a regular Incandescent can, why would you purchase a pure CFL Housing, which costs more?
    Halo 6" 26-Watt CFL IC Airtite Housing

* Would this Insteon switch be a good choice for controlling 6-8 dimmable CFLs? I keep reading very mixed reviews on dimmable CFLs. Many people report that they buzz loudly, and others say their dimming switches aren't compatible. How can you tell which products will work well together?
    Insteon Dimmer 1000watts
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 02:42 AM
    IC means it can be in contact with insulation, air tight means the fixture will also help with heating and cooling savings by not allowing conditioned air to escape.

Some locations may require certain housings for energy savings. California has a code called Title 24, for example, that dictates several energy savings measures that must be incorporated into building construction.

You should check your state for any energy codes to comply with.

Someone would use a CFL fixture because it suits them, and willing to stay with the plug in CFL lamp.

I have no personal knowledge of Insteon products. Choosing compatible products for the residential market, with the junk that is now on the market,is a real pain in the butt, quite frankly.

Even well known, well trusted, once Made in America products, are now made in China, AND ARE JUNK.

Sep 2, 2009, 05:55 PM

I ended up going with:

* 6 airtight canned lights from "Commerical Electric" (Home Depot).
    * 600 watt drimmer from Leviton (temporary)
    * 15 W Feit dimmable bulbs, stanard screw A screw-in format

Everything is right with the world.

On a related note, the cans used "Push-in connectors" and this was my first encounter with those. I love these things! I ended up buying a whole bunch to use on standard outlets and switches. Where as it would have been time-consuming to slice 5 grounding wires together in the past, now I can just push them into a connector. The connector is see-through so I can be sure the wire is seated correctly. If a make mistake - no problem, I just twist and pull and I'm ready to rewire a different way. Not bad!
    cbresnan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 10:06 AM
    justincaseme- we're thinking of doing just what you described-- how is it working out for you at this point? Is there buzzing? Also- do you have any make/model numbers of your items?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I am just installing, I want to install in a simple hallway 18' long, 3-4 lights. I just wanted to see how many and what size 4",5" or 6". 3 or 4 lights. There is only one mini chandalier.

Recessed lighting [ 1 Answers ]

How can I determine the maximum wattage for a recessed lighting fixture? The fixture has a sticker inside listing wattages of 60, 75, 100 and 150. Does this mean it can handle any of these bulbs?

Recessed lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I am renovating the kitchen and would like to know in a kitchen with the dimensions of 14ft by 11ft space how many ceiling lights would be required? Is there a minimum that you should have for that amt of space and how far from the wall should they be and how far apart from each other. Thank you

View more questions Search