Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1949terry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Measure for painting
    How do you find sq ft of a room you want to have painted like 28 by 56 house with 8 ft ceilings I know it is1344 but do you double it plus add for ceilings
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 10:56 PM

I am assuming you mean to paint the room, not fill it with paint, correct?
    If so, you do not need the cubed foot measurements of the room, but rather the surface area that you need to cover.

Do you mean that the room is measured 28 feet wide x 26 feet long? And it is eight feet tall?
    If so, (assuming it is a regular rectangle room) you would multiply 8ft x 28ft, which is 244, and 8ft x 56 ft, which is 448. You add them together, and get 692 sq ft. You then multiply that by two, because you have so far only calculate two walls and need the others.

You get 1384 sq ft.

You only need to calculate the surface area of the ceiling if you are intending to paint it. If you have a flat ceiling, then it will be 1568. If your ceiling is slanted, then you need to measure the ceiling (as it will be longer) or find the angle, and use SohCahToa to find the length.
    Assuming a flat ceiling, and you want to paint it also, then your grand total will be a surface area of 2952 sq feet to be painted.

(Anyone want to check my math? That number doesn't seem right, but I did it 2 times)

Of course, I was just speculating on what you were asking, since you didn't word it clearly. If you want something else, could you please ask?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 03:00 AM

Each room/area of house should be measured individually. The totals from each room/area added together. This will give u total area to be painted.

In each room/area, measure length of each wall, add together and multiply by height of wall. This will give area of walls.

Multiply length of one wall by length of perpendicular wall. This will give u area of ceiling.

Add area of walls to area of ceiling. This will give u area of room/area to be painted.

After getting total of all rooms/areas, add these numbers together. This will give u total of all rooms/areas to be painted.

This does not take into consideration any trim, doors or windows.

Chuck
    jehovajireh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:46 AM
    hello:
    if you want to to figure sq ft of walls you measure length x width
    example : if a wall is 10 ft long and 8 ft high it is 80 sq ft, ceilings are measured the same or you can just meausure the floors example: if a room is 12x12 it is 144 sq ft so that is what the square footage on you're ceiling.

Hope fully my answer helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to measure watts [ 7 Answers ]

How can I tell how many watts I'm I using on things. (like how many watts does A/C use.) how can I measure the watts I know volts and amps.

How do I know what to charge for interior painting and drywall finishing and painting [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what to charge per square foot to prime and to finish coat new drywall? I am bidding to paint interior walls and ceilings in a new house. One coat primer and one coat finish. Both coats will be sprayed and backrolled. What is an average rate to charge per foot for each coat?

How do you measure giving [ 3 Answers ]

my teacher gave me an assignment that we have to answer it is how do you measure giving it seems easy to answer but for some reason i am having a strugle can u help me?:D

I want to measure [ 6 Answers ]

We would like to have new windows but I would like to know what size and how many I need. Where should I measure to get the right heighth and width. Is it all right to buy windows from Lowe's or Home Depot? The Sash & Storm guy said that their windows are second rate, why is this? I would like to...

Measure 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I live in Oregon and I was just wondering if somebody could please send me a link or something on all of measure 11. I already know what is on there but if someone could please send me something that has all of it on there, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

View more questions Search