Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jshaffer6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 09:29 PM
    Can A Car Title Be Backdated? Date of Transfer Changed after the fact?
    Hi-
    I purchased a minivan from my dad July 2008. I have a check for proof, and my husband and I added it at that time to our insurance. The problem is, my dad said not to worry about transferring the title, because the plates were still good until April 2009. At that time, I did change the title, and instead of him putting the sale amount ($3500) he put "gift" on the title. Now I need to legally prove that we've owned the car for 1 year. Can I change the title date from April 2009 to July 2008? Is this illegal what was done?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 07:19 AM

No, you can date the title on the date that the seller signed it. That is the date of actually purchase.

You can have your dad ask for a new title ( say they lost the orginal) and he can sign and date it as it should have been.

But what is the issue why you want this done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transfer of title [ 2 Answers ]

Can my wife transfer the title of the house to me so I can refinance it under my name?

Date changed [ 1 Answers ]

IN Nova Scotia Canada, I bought some furniture 7.5 years ago on credit with 1 yr to pay without interest. I paid for 6 months then lost my job and couldn't anymore. I have never been contacted about this but I received a letter yesterday from a collection agency that is demanding full payment of...

Backdated Lease? Is this Possible? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New York City in an unregulated apartment. In my case, the landlord has been sending me rent bills after the lease had expired effectively putting me on a month-to-month basis as my rent checks have been accepted each month from July through September. (Lease expired June 30th). I have...

Transfer of title [ 1 Answers ]

My parents want to transfer a home title to me. The home is paid for. There are no liens. What are the steps we should take? We live in Michigan.

Backdated Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

I have a child born end of May this year, it took the CSA until mid August to contact his father (even though they had all his details), I've today been told from the CSA that once the claim is sorted the payments will only be backdated to when they contacted my son's father and not when he was...

View more questions Search