Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0518 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 07:12 PM
    Credit card garnishment
    I am self emplyed, and about to get a judgement on a credit card debt. Iwork on commission. I get large checks in at different odd times. Can the credior take money out of my business checking account, or just the checking account that has my personal name on it.

Can they take money out of your savings account also?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2006, 04:02 AM
    Yes to the savings account for sure. And possibly on the business account depending on what type of account and what type of business. I would immediately ask the bank themselves about this... and unless they tell you absolutely NO... and if you think the creditor knows about the account, then open another account at another bank and move your money there to be sure.

Oct 18, 2006, 09:28 AM
    Thank you so much rick for your help. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am incorporated and the business account is not under my social security # but under my employer tax ID #. I am sure that the government knows that my social and employer ID # are in some way connected so I would imagine my creditors could find that out as well. But legally does that change anything in terms of my creditors being able to get at the money in my business checking account if it is under my employer tx ID vs my social sec #?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
    Is The Crdit Card Under The Business Name Or Your Name?

Oct 18, 2006, 09:45 AM
    The credit card is under my personal name and therefore I assume under my ss#.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Since you are incorporate they cannot touch a business account, they must go after the individuals account, business property would be exempt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgement [ 20 Answers ]

I have a few judgements against me from past due credit cards and I am trying to sell my house In NY and make a fresh start. I have every intention of paying these judgements after I get settled in my new area. I am concered that the judgements may bite me in the... when it comes time to close on...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search