Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Talk about txt chat
    I am beginning to wonder if they just use it to cover the fact they don't know how to spell!
    I am sure if they tried using spell check it would go dysfunctional at the mess!

Here's one I found that made my eyes hurt worse than they already do.

bii side part yoo meen like yoor shed to one side ?
    well anii waii just clip yoor hair up layer bii layer
    if yoo want to get it all straitend properly
    I've never used they kinds before with my hair wet
    I don't reelly trust them in case my hair gets burnt
    but tell me hhow that gose and I mite give it a go
    x
    oh and if yuu straiten a bit of yoor hair don't touch it strait away it will be hot so try and use a brush when yuu do iht k x
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:58 PM

Wow... my eyes hurt too. I had to read it 5 times or so before I understood what was going on!
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:59 PM

*HelpinHere's eyes slowly start to water as he stares at this incoherent mess that someone thought was writing. As he struggles to understand it, his eyes slowly start to sizzle. By the end of the second line, they have mostly liquefied and start dripping out of their sockets. By the end of the third line, there is nothing except small recesses or liquefied eye matter left floating in the bottom of their sockets, the keyboard of his laptop has been covered with a bloody, sticky goo-like-substance, which used to be a perfectly functioning pair of eyes, and he can do nothing but wonder, in his sightless mind, what the poster was smoking when she decided to type that abomination of the English language.*

"Ow...."
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah at first I thought they were talking about building a shed
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelpinHere View Post
    *HelpinHere's eyes slowly start to water as he stares at this incoherent mess that someone thought was writing. As he struggles to understand it, his eyes slowly start to sizzle. By the end of the second line, they have mostly liquefied and start dripping out of their sockets. By the end of the third line, there is nothing except small recesses or liquefied eye matter left floating in the bottom of their sockets, they keyboard of his laptop has been covered with what used to be a perfectly functioning pair of eyes, and he can do nothing but wonder, in his sightless mind, what the poster was smoking when she decided to type that curse.*

"Ow...."
    Gee I think you need to sue someone!! :eek:
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    gee I think you need to sue someone!!!! :eek:
    Naah, it's all good!
    Luckily, I always carry a pair of backups on me!

XD... but, seriously, I think that some of these people must flunk out of first grade spelling... yeah.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:05 PM

Hmmm maybe we need to invent special txt reading glasses or a D!CK Tracy decoder ring??
    Thesexyjessica Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 11:00 PM

Uhh... I know txt chat and I can barely understand that... that's just unnecessary
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesexyjessica View Post
    uhh... I know txt chat and I can barely understand that.... thats just unnecessary
    And against the rules.

Text talk is becoming an epidemic. What are these kids going to do when they grow up? If they don't learn how to write properly then the future is doomed.

My brain is bleeding again. :(
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    And against the rules.

Text talk is becoming an epidemic. What are these kids going to do when they grow up? If they don't learn how to write properly then the future is doomed.

Naah... are you CRAZY?
    We'll be fine! Can't you imagine the next bill in congress?

"we da ppl dmnd tat u cnt mak fun o blonds jus kuz ar big bubs mak ^ 4 ar smll brans"

(Don't get mad at me blondes, it's just the first thing that popped into my head)
    Thesexyjessica Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    And against the rules.

I just reread it and got what "shed" was... Head ohhhh
    Its hurts to read..
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesexyjessica View Post
    I just reread it and got what "shed" was... Head ohhhh
    its hurts to read..
    It does.

What I don't understand is the "bii" why not write by, it's shorter. :confused:

I'm going to go take an aspirin or 5. ;)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 07:13 AM

I don't even use text talk on my phone let alone on a computer with a qwerty keyboard!

I think if it's worth saying then type it all out, otherwise don't bother.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:31 PM
    In my mind text speak is for quick communication, so I do use it occasionally if I'm texting.

However, it's now become an excuse for bypassing correct grammar and spelling - and I don't care what anyone says, I don''t think you can make your way reasonably in the world without grammar and spelling!

If it is an epidemic then it's tragic, because we're going to have a portion of society that will be functionally illiterate and this has huge implications...

I read recently (or is it an urban myth?), that a student submitted an essay in an exam that was entirely in text speak!
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    I read recently (or is it an urban myth?), that a student submitted an essay in an exam that was entirely in text speak!
    Actually, I know two people (one guy, one girl) from my high school that have done that... well, not the entire thing, but using a lot of text talk in writing assignments... stupid.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Actually, I know two people (one guy, one girl) from my high school that have done that... well, not the entire thing, but using a lot of text talk in writing assignments... stupid.
    Well I bet that put them in the good books with the teachers - not!
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2009, 11:40 PM

Some teachers are actually accepting text talk in essays and reports. They realize that many of their students cannot write any other way. It's true. It's scary, but true.

I guess those teachers don't care that they're setting a bunch of semi illiterate people out into the world.

This is another good reason not to get cell phones for my kids. No cell phone, not texting, sounds good to me.

Besides, they're 10 and 6, who are they going to call? ;)

But, most of my sons friends (he's 10) have cell phones and text already.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:03 AM
    I'm horrified that text speak would be accepted in schools for assignments.

Lordy, Lordy what next? Essays in Windings?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 12:49 AM

Actually it causes no pain, just deepens the wrinkles in my forehead. But are we sounding like the old timer who said, "your teacher told you to get an encyclopedia? I had to walk to school!"

Yeah Alty, bii had me wondering the same thing. But it is easier to type bi on the keyboard and bii is still quicker than by. I'll have to ask my 20-year-old why bii is such a favorite. The other day she stopped by and used my computer, she types at least 100 words a minute and without looking, and throwing in DOS keyboard strokes without a pause. The thing is that she is equally fluent in text and in English, kids huh.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2009, 03:53 AM

I really think it is going to the point that kids really will not be able to distinquish txt from the correct way of spelling.
    That is insane that a teacher will accept that.
    Then too the kids can possible say their answer was correct because the teacher just mistranslated what they meant or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

Girlfriend taking a break. To talk or not to talk [ 52 Answers ]

My girlfriend of over a year has decided to take a break. All of a sudden, something clicked in her head and she feels that we're too young to have such a serious relationship. She doesn't want to miss out on all the experiences life has to offer. Mind you, she was always the one who talked about...

No chat speak, no text talk! - The Nonsense and NO topic version [ 257 Answers ]

Chat speak, and text talk, will be deleted, so at least try to make sense. :D

No chat speak, no text talk! [ 0 Answers ]

Chat speak, and text talk, will be deleted, so at least try to make sense. :D In the interest of understanding, please refrain from chat/text, and spell check your posts. If they are really that bad, they are subject to being deleted. Thanks all, and enjoy.

View more questions Search