Ask
    smokeloco Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Wisdom tooth odor
    How do I stop wisdom tooth odor:eek:
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 05:13 AM

Sorry, but I need more information. Is the tooth still present, has it been removed? How do you know the odour is coming from the wisdom tooth? Is the tooth decayed?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:30 AM

I was wondering all the same things, Flossie!

OP, If you've had the tooth removed, perhaps you have some food trapped in the extraction site that's starting to decay?

But we can help you if you give us more information...

Jul 19, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Sorry, but I need more information. Is the tooth still present, has it been removed? How do you know the odour is coming from the wisdom tooth? Is the tooth decayed?
    The tooth is broken down to the gumline... when I touch it, my finger smells horrible. It doesn't hurt, just irritating
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeloco View Post
    the tooth is broken down to the gumline ....when i touch it, my finger smells horrible. it doesnt hurt, just irritating
    It could be an infection/absess. Either way, you need to get to a dental professional ASAP! Infections/absesses are very serious and can lead to death if not treated.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeloco
    the tooth is broken down to the gumline ....when i touch it, my finger smells horrible. it doesnt hurt, just irritating
    :eek: It's broken into pieces and you didn't have any professional intervention? nikosmom is right, it may be an absess. But to think that you now don't feel any pain? Seems to me that your tooth is dead... You have to do something before anything more serious happens. Good luck.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 10:47 AM

As has been stated,this should be seen by a dentist.
    I have always used a warm salt water rinse and that has always worked for me.
    I would do this 5 times a day and swish it around very well.

Jul 19, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    It could be an infection/absess. Either way, you need to get to a dental professional ASAP! Infections/absesses are very serious and can lead to death if not treated.
    SO IM ABOUT TO DIE CUZ I DONT HAVE INSURANCE? THATS WHAT YOURE SAYING???:confused::(
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 01:15 PM
    SO IM ABOUT TO DIE CUZ I DONT HAVE INSURANCE? THATS WHAT YOURE SAYING???:confused::(
    It can be ,that does not mean it's a given.
    You can go to an emergency room without insurance and be billed later.
    Most ER's cannot turn you away because of lack of insurance.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 05:43 PM

You definitely need to be seen by a dentist as soon as possible. You are not longer in pain because the infection is now draining into your mouth hence the bad odour you are noticing. Think of all the toxins in the pus that is draining being swallowed and now in your digestive system you may or may not start feeling generally run down and not well. This will be due to the infection in your mouth. You REALLY need to have it addressed as soon as possible.
    As Artlady said, go to emegency, they can't turn you away but a dentist could.
    Good luck.

Jul 19, 2009, 06:41 PM
    You definitely need to be seen by a dentist as soon as possible. You are not longer in pain because the infection is now draining into your mouth hence the bad odour you are noticing. Think of all the toxins in the pus that is draining being swallowed and now in your digestive system you may or may not start feeling generally run down and not well. This will be due to the infection in your mouth. You REALLY need to have it addressed as soon as possible.
    As Artlady said, go to emegency, they can't turn you away but a dentist could.
    Good luck.
    Does amoxicilan help?? Will it buy me some time
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 07:55 PM

It will help temporarily but you don't want to rely on it for more than one repeat. You will probably need to take it once the tooth is removed to help with the healing. It's really not something you want to mess around with. If there IS an infection it could spread to the tooth in front or back in to the jaw bone.

Jul 19, 2009, 08:05 PM
    It will help temporarily but you don't want to rely on it for more than one repeat. You will probably need to take it once the tooth is removed to help with the healing. It's really not something you want to mess around with. If there IS an infection it could spread to the tooth in front or back in to the jaw bone.
    OK... im flippin out right now, scared... when should I be worried, I'm not in pain... my resourses are limited. Everyone on this site keeps talking about dying... what symptoms should worry me??
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:46 PM

OK... you have been told... go to the doctor. If you don't have insurance, see an emergency room.

Or Google 'free clinic <city>' and find a clinic that treats without insurance, or with a low price at least.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
    ok....im flippin out right now, scared.....when should i be worried, im not in pain....my resourses are limited. everyone on this site keeps talkin about dying....what symptoms should worry me????
    We are telling you this because we have experience with this and want you to understand the severity of the situation. You're probably not in pain because the tooth is already dead. The fact that you have a smell coming from the area and the tooth is already broken is a sign that you need to be seen by a dental professional.

I'd suggest getting on the phone and calling around to research your options. Call a local dental school where you may be able to receive the same services as a private dentist for a fraction of the cost. None of us here can tell you to take amoxicillin to treat this infection so it'd really be wise to get in to see a dentist ASAP.
    WayTooMuch Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2009, 09:52 PM

Keep in mind, not all Emergency Rooms have dentists or oral surgeon on call. If they don't, then the ER docs will just give you pain meds and antibiotics and tell you to go see a dentist.

If the ER is a level one trauma center, then you may have a dentist or an oral surgeon on call that may take your tooth out.

Listen to the group, the tooth needs to go! Based on what I read, you probably have multiple of other teeth that needs to come out and a ton of decay. You'll need dental assistance immediately! No money, get a friend or family member to co-sign for you for a payment plan that many dental offices accept.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2009, 11:17 PM

Waytoomuch, usually this is true.

However in a situation like this, an ER doc DOES know how to pull out a broken tooth, especially one this bad, as well as pain meds and antibiotics.

Jul 20, 2009, 12:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    waytoomuch, usually this is true.

However in a situation like this, an er doc does know how to pull out a broken tooth, especially one this bad, as well as pain meds and antibiotics.
    Thank you all who have advised me, forgive my stuborness... I will be going to the e.r. In the morning...
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 05:40 AM

Please let us know how you make out.
    Good luck!
    richy Lou Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2012, 10:50 PM
    Wow.. so true to the above. I just had the same thing happen to me. My wisdom tooth # 16 had broken at the gumline and the tooth was jet black inside, there was a brown residue forming on my tougne and a aweful odor that would fill a room and or my car, it was noticeable by me and friends. I dwelt with it till I could not stand it any longer.

The odor was the result of the infection growing in the dead tooth, also I had no pain associated with mine either...

Something to slow the infection down is hydrogen peroxide straight, but don't rely on this, you have to take care of this.

You have to get it out as soon as possible, or you could have some serious problems, it could kill you as the others have said.

I just went to the dentist Monday, he did a local, and proceeded to break it up and get it out... The cost was around 385.00 dollars.

Please either put it on a credit card or a debit card, if you don't have that go to a local church or county hospital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Why do my wisdom teeth smell?

Wisdom tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

Thursday I had my lower right wisdom tooth pulled and it's been 3 days later and I'm still in pain. I'm on amoxicillan and 2 other pain relievers and still in pain. I don't have dry socket cause I do have clot in socket. Any suggestions or how long I will feel like this for? Thanks.

Raw gum behind wisdom tooth. [ 2 Answers ]

I was brushing my teeth last night and notices that there was some blood when I spit, I rinsed well and listerined. I also use a water pik. This morning when I was brushing My gum behind my wisdom tooth was real sore, raw feeling. Could this be the beginning of an absess or should I worry about it.

Wisdom tooth [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a bad wisdom tooth for a few years. Scared to go to dentist. It has just fell out, no pain or bleeding. Looks like the whole tooth. What should I do?:confused: :(

Broken Wisdom Tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've been putting off posting here for ages, and just reading over everyone else's questions and answers. I'm overly terrified of going to the dentist due to a bad experience as a kid. My last visit was I'd say 10 years ago when I had my braces removed, and was consulting to have my...

View more questions Search