Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tetaje269 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Can lump sum payment & refinancing reduce monthly mortgage?
    What's the best way to make use of $100,00 cash when you have a mortgage balance of $370,000 and cannot afford the monthly payment due to the death of a spouse and loss of income - pay down the mortgage balance and then refinance at a lower interest rate? Or what?:confused:
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 06:23 AM

Obviously your $100K won't pay off the mortgage, so presumably you have other sources of income, right? If you can refinance to a lower rate then by all means do so - that's free money to you! You need to set up a budget, and from that you will determine whether you can afford the mortgage on the full $370K, or should use some of the $100K to reduce the principal (and hence pay less each month). You should also consider that you need to have a good savings cushion available for emergency purposes, so whether you should use the $100K now depends to a large degree on what you have in other retirement accounts, savings, investments etc.
    tetaje269 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Obviously your $100K won't pay off the mortgage, so presumably you have other sources of income, right? If you can refinance to a lower rate then by all means do so - that's free money to you! You need to set up a budget, and from that you will determine whether you can afford the morgage on the full $370K, or should use some of the $100K to reduce the principal (and hence pay less each month). You should also consider that you need to have a good savings cushion available for emergency purposes, so whether you should use the $100K now depends to a large degree on what you have in other retirement accounts, savings, investments etc.

Thanks ebaines. Yes there is income from work. The objective is to reduce the mortgage to an affordable monthly amount - that can be handled from current income from work. Even with a reduced interest rate the monthly mortgage is still unaffordable. The only relief sought will have to come from paying down the principal. I do intend to put away something in a retirement account and into an emergency fund. Again, thanks for your suggestion.

tetaje269

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

Hello OK I would like to refi my mortgage , I have 8% now for 30 yrs. Owe 37,000 and 10,000 on a second.  my credit score is 635  and 4yrs out of bankruptcy, I have 2,000 in credit cared debt and owe 5,700 for my car. Which is 99.00 a mo ,  my mort  is 448 a mo that is piti.. The second is...

Refinancing mortgage in only one spouses name [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are contemplating divorce. As part of the settlement and to split assets, we need to refinance the mortgage in her name. If we do that now, and at a later point we decide to not split up, what rights/obligation do I have to the house? Does it affect anything if I die if we are...

Refinancing mortgage during chapter 13 [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in chapter 13 for almost one year. I have an adjustable reate mortgage which keeps increasing $200 every 6 months. How canI refiance to a fixed rate mortgage? I basically have only house payment and court payment. I appreciate any advice I can get. Thanks

Re-refinancing my home mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently refinanced my home (3 weeks ago). I refinanced from 6.875 to 5.625%. We do not close until the 29th, 4 more days. Since I received the rate of 5.625, I've noticed the rates have dropped another 1/2%, and now down to 4.875 to 5.25 with not points (in my area). I...

View more questions Search