Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HID Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 03:31 PM
    How Many Amps Does a Metal Halide Light Use?
    How Many Amps Does a Metal Halide Light Use?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 03:10 AM
    Depends on the wattage rating of the lamp. Are you working with a particular size?
    HID Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2009, 04:41 AM

Yes I am it's a 1000 watt lamp
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2009, 05:03 AM
    I just noticed your name, HID. Interesting your asking questions about an HID lamp.

OK, an HID lamp uses a ballast, which is a transformer, and this will have it's own losses.

Off the top of my head, a particular ballast for a 1000 W MH lamp draws 80 watts, so the total is 1080 watts for one complete fixture with lamp and ballast combined.

So with that, next you need to know the system voltage.

Assuming 120 volts, and using Ohm's Law:
    Power =E (Volts) I (Amps)
    I=P/E
    I= 1080/120
    I= 9 Amps

However, what I do is refer to the manufacturer's datasheet for the ballast I will be using for the chosen lamp. Here you will find the published input watts, operating line amps for the various available voltages, and, if applicable, the starting amps.

Your question is somewhat general, and the correct answer may need to be specific.

Any specific reason you ask the question?
    pt chua Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
    Hello! What is the Ampere for a 400 watt metal halide lamp ? Txs.

Best regards,
    Pt
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
    Like just the other reply in this old thread stated, it depends on the voltage it is used at.

Everything you need to know is right above in post #4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LED V/s Metal Halide Light [ 1 Answers ]

I just want to replace 250 W Metal Halides which are installed at 4 Mtr. Height in my industry by putting appropriate capacity LED fixture. Pl. suggest :)

Cost to upgrade from 100 amps to 200 amps and ground [ 4 Answers ]

StanFortyMan has made a lot of sense about my needs in a home with a 100 AMP Service.. I would like to upgrade to 200 amps.. with some ground sockets(or whatever this is called) and put in more sockets... The house is 1300 square feet... does anyone have a guestimate of costs?? Thanks, Annie

Flaky metal halide light [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the bulb once again in a troublesome fixture again. With a 10,000 hour life, It shouldn't be a couple of times a year. It came on right after I turned it on, but went out again. A rap on the housing brought it on again, another and it went off. If jumpering the photo switch and...

Mounting a floodlight (metal halide) [ 5 Answers ]

When I built my house 25 years ago, I put six boxes in, on various corners, under the eaves of the roof, for floodlights. Since then, I've put three quartz halogen floodlights in, two 500W in the front, and a 300W in the back. They are controlled by switches in the garage. From time to time,...

View more questions Search