Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pierre Delerive Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Origin of silver in Navajo jewelry
    Hi. I am a French/American novelist. Part of the action of the novel I'm working on takes place on the Navajo reservation in Arizona. I wonder where the Navajos get the silver for their jewelry. Actually, I also wonder where they get the precious stones from and how a disadvantaged people finance their purchases. Thank you. Pierre
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 02:06 PM

Hi, pierre, yes, native american jewelry has a long history and a lot can be explained on this website:

Southwestaffinity.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Navajo silver hallmark JR identification [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bracelet, Navajo made I think, that I inherited from my late aunt. An instructor at my community college said he thought the turquoise stone was lavender Bisbee and he thought it was made in the 1950s to 1960s or possibly earlier. The hallmark on it is JR inscribed by hand, not stamped. ...

Navajo jewelry - does it need to be signed to have value? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother-in-law and her husband lived in Arizona for many years. During that time (about 50 years ago) they purchased quite a bit of Navajo jewelry. She gave us 3 pieces - an eagle bolo with coral and turqoise, a watch with coral, black onyx and turqoise on both sides of the band, and a turqoise...

Navajo Jewelry by Angeline Miller [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know any details about this artist? I recently got one of her pieces and have not been able to find any history on her. I would really appreciate any info you have on her. She does work in silver. Thank you. Anna

Hopi, Zuni, or Navajo Hallmarks on Jewelry [ 5 Answers ]

I have three pieces I need help with in identifying the makers of. The first piece is an inlay piece of turquoise, white shell? and onyx? The maker's hallmark is a capital M with and ---> attached to the bottom right tail of the M, the line from the end to the point of the arrow is a solid...

Navajo Jewelry [ 3 Answers ]

Any information concering either Helen or Donna Chee, Navajo silversmiths producing pieces in the late 1960's- 1970's Thxs AzPete

View more questions Search