Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    autumnrainful Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 12:48 PM
    a miserable girlfriend?
    4 threads merged into one.

I want a man who dates me clearly for getting married, and who is carefree and mature. It turns out the last boyfriend is a mom's boy, and current boyfriend is sweet but not that carefree. We have been in a long distance relationship for more than 8 months. We see each other every month. Next week he will pick me up to attend his graduation. We planned to watch Ice Age next week. But today he called me to ask me whether it is OK to bring his grandma with us for the movie. He feels bad if he leaves his grandma alone in the hotel. But he could spend time with his grandma anytime. But the time when we are together is just every month. I feel upset because he seems not to be clear why he has me. He seems to sacrifice me for anything. I am always caring for him, and maybe he forgets I have a heart too, and forgets I needs to be valued and cared too. He always said I am like a mother, because I care about him a lot. But that is because I love him. But I have felt he wants to make the world happy and ignores a woman who loves him.
    And I don't know whether he is the person who would marry me at the end. Everything he does seems to me he doesn't have a clear goal to marry me.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 12:51 PM

Maybe you expect too much.

You've only been together 8 months, long distance. Is he supposed to give up everything and everyone for you? It's not realistic.

A relationship is give and take, it's also about communication. If you haven't told him how you feel about this, then how is he supposed to know how you feel?

Talk to him about it.

Jul 18, 2009, 12:55 PM

What is unfair is, I could give up everything and everybody for him.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnrainful View Post
    What is unfair is, I could give up everything and everybody for him.
    What's unfair is that you expect the same from him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 02:03 PM

I don't think its fair to get that carried away with thoughts of marriage, after 8 months, in a long distance relationship.

You are way ahead of yourself, and your expectations are not realistic. Its his grandma for chrissake.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 18, 2009, 05:04 PM

Along the lines of the others, you are expecting too much from a 8 month long distance relationship.

If you've only dated for 8 months and only saw each other every other month, that means you saw each other 4 times? How do you expect him to think about marriage after seeing you so few times.

Why don't you work on strengthing your relationship before you worry about marriage. Is there a way for you two to see each other more often?

Jul 27, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Love and future plan

My boyfriend told me he planned to propose to me at the end of the year. But he and I are still both students. I am a graduate assistant, but he hasn't got a job. He plans to find a part-time job when he enters graduate school this semester. I am just wondering how he could have money to buy me a ring. He said he is more ready every day to get married. I don't know whether he is serious about what he told me about our future plan. He said he didn't want me to wait for him forever, and he already thought about a date for our engagement.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 04:05 PM

Why are so focus on getting engaged?

The two of you have your whole life ahead of you and you need to get stable. He needs to find a job and save for the things he needs.

If the two of you are going be together then you shouldn't force him to get you a ring. A ring doesn't prove nothing.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Getting engaged is fine, even though he probably can't afford a ring right now. But plan on a long engagement (and that's not necessarily a bad thing.)

Aug 11, 2009, 10:03 PM
    Does he reallly love me?

My boyfriend would finally come to my graduate school this fall. I have been looking forward to ending our long distance relationship and starting a regular one.
    But tonight on the phone, he said "It's weired to have a regular relationship with you. I have been used to the long distance relationship. There will be a difference." I was uspet to hear his comments. I thought he would be excited to be face to face with me every day. If coming to the same graduate school is for being close to me, he should be very happy now. But he felt weired.
    I am hurt by his comments, although he apologied and told me it was the worse choice of word to use. He told me he really loves me and looks forward to seeing me again. But I start to have doubts about him and our relationship.
    sweet1028 Posts: 146, Reputation: 43

Aug 12, 2009, 12:38 AM

This doesn't sound good. It sounds to me like the long distance relationship allows him to spend time with other girls. If he is around you all the time, it will make it hard for him to do that.

I'm not sure if that is really the issue here but it is something to question and to think about.
    pixiegurl Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Aug 12, 2009, 12:41 AM

Of course it will be a difficult transition for you both, having a face to face relationship can be very full on. Perhaps he is just worried that things won't work out if there is such a huge shift in your relationship? Give him a few days to calm down from the conversation and then talk to him again about it. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that there are other girls he is spending time with just yet, you don't have proof of that.

Aug 12, 2009, 01:15 AM

She doesn't have proof but, if you were in her situation what would you think? Put yourself in her shoes, it might just be me, but I would wonder why it would be weird.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 03:36 AM
    I think that you're being oversensitive.

He's just being up front with how it feels - he's a guy and he's probably used to doing his own thing. It is weird to go from LDR to up close and personal. I understand, because it's happened to me.

You're upset because you wanted him to say something else - this happens. He apologized and told you that he loves you - give the poor guy a break and see how it goes.

BTW where did the bit about other girls come from?.

Aug 12, 2009, 03:40 AM

There is probably not any other girls, I was just thinking of a typical long distance relationship. I'm sorry for posting that. Most guys will cheat in a long distance relationship though.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet1028 View Post
    There is probably not any other girls, I was just thinking of a typical long distance relationship. I'm sorry for posting that. Most guys will cheat in a long distance relationship though.
    And most girls will accuse guys of cheating as well... I think that statement is way too generalized. My girlfriend went to a HUGE party school while I lived half an hour away... saw her maybe once a week. Both of us were dedicated towards making our relationship work. Was it hard? Yes. Was it worth it? You bet your butt it was! She studied abroad in Europe for a summer and I was scared to death, yet NOTHING happened and when she came home it was one of the best days of my life. As a MAN I have morals and I would NEVER cheat on my significant other... NEVER! Guess I must be abnormal huh?

If two people are dedicated to each other, they won't cheat. I NEVER once thought about cheating and I am pretty sure she didn't either. I was with her halfway through her senior year to her graduation at college and we remained loyal and in love that entire time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 07:07 AM

Your taking his honest expressions, and turning them into something to personal, and not true. That's an over reaction, I think, and you should just forget it, and enjoy this "new" and better situation with him.

How did you survive the LDR, being so sensitive?

Aug 19, 2009, 10:04 PM
    Was I silly at that time?

I had a crush on him when I was a senior student in college. I thought he was an excellent student. He was student president. But I never had a chance to talk to him. I had one economics class with him. On a Valentine day, I wanted to give him my chocolate, but I thought I was so plain that I felt embarrassed to do that. So I came to the classroom earlier than the rest of the classmates, and put chocolates on each student's desk. When later they came into the classroom, they saw the chocolates. I saw him sit down and eat the chocolate. I felt my heart pounded so fast at the moment.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 12:25 AM

How long ago was this? Do you know him personally?
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 06:54 AM

If you put it on every student's desk, then there is no way he could have known it was from you.

Sorry, but I don't think him "accepting" it means anything.

If you really like him, just ask him. It's no big deal. I'm assuming you've graduated, but do you still have contact with him? If he is no part of your life, why are you bringing this up now? (Just curious.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am miserable. [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys, so about 2.5 weeks ago my girlfriend decided we needed to take a break. We are deeply in love but she decided she needed some time to figure herself out, show herself she can stand on her own two feet. We had an almost perfect relationship but I guess little things added up to where she...

Miserable about Gay [ 12 Answers ]

I am in love with a guy who I just realised that he was a gay.It hurts when he lied me off that he is no more gay but actually not because he was trying to conceive his feeling. He told me that he is lost whether he is a straight or a gay. He said that he will never fall in love with a female...

I am miserable [ 6 Answers ]

I am 23 years old and have 2 kids. My husband and I have been together since middle school. I feel like I am trapped in a marriage that I am emotionally abused by an alcoholic. I want out but have no where to go I have not worked and have no resources. I have met someone that is willing to help and...

Miserable is LA [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 12 years. I have been through it all with him - drug problems, baby mama drama, cave man mentality, etc. I am a working wife (2 jobs). I cook, clean, take care of the kids and all other household duties, including my wifely sexual duties. He does not help...

Miserable Mom [ 10 Answers ]

Hi my Aunt that I never had met took my daughter 6 years ago, she is now almost 12 I was wondering is there any time in her life she will be able to decide she wants to come home, and be able to? She is so not happy where she's at, she never has been, but she's a good child so she makes the best...

View more questions Search