Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sudha pdesai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2009, 04:01 AM
    How to become fat
    Hello,
    I would like to know how to gain weight because I am thin now?
    greatodie Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Jul 18, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Try wheat grass juice in morning
    And a glass of toned milk with honey
    Each night
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Just how "thin" are you? You always want to be careful about deliberately trying to gain weight as it can often come back to haunt you. If you truly think that you're so underweight that your health is jeopardized then you should be speaking with a doctor. Otherwise, if you want to bulk up a little bit, I'd suggest an exercise regimen of weight training along with some type of aerobic exercise such as running or cycling and a diet high in low-fat, high-protein foods like lean meats and fish and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Stick to complex carbohydrates like whole-wheat breads and avoid sugars and simple carbohydrates like white bread.
    CanadianCrook Posts: 60, Reputation: 7

Jul 25, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sudha pdesai View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to know how to gain weight because i am thin now?
    You want to be fat? Or you wanta get tanked up with muscle?

Getting fat is easy duuude, just eat ONE BIIIG Meal a day and never workout! Chyea.. expect your first heart attack soon though.

If you want to gain weight then do it the healthy way! Gradually intake more calories and workout!

*thumbs up*
    Rookeek Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2009, 12:31 PM

Here are tips on how to start gaining muscle, give it a read mate, it's from a site for skinny guys:
    How to successfully start gaining muscle! | 36 Pounds.com

Most importantly, hit the gym, workout 3 times a week and eat 500 calories more per day than your BMR is. Your BMR is minimal amount of calories needed per day to keep your weight. Calculating BMR is easy, just multiply your weight in pounds by 18. Then add those 500 cals to be able to gain muscle!

Cheers

Jul 30, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookeek View Post
    Here are tips on how to start gaining muscle, give it a read mate, it's from a site for skinny guys:
    How to successfully start gaining muscle! | 36 Pounds.com

Most importantly, hit the gym, workout 3 times a week and eat 500 calories more per day than your BMR is. Your BMR is minimal amount of calories needed per day to keep your weight. Calculating BMR is easy, just multiply your weight in pounds by 18. Then add those 500 cals to be able to gain muscle!

Cheers
    Hm.. I agree to disagree.

You should be working out 3 times MINIMUM, and the 500 calories is a bit extreme. I intake about 700 calories more then my BMR is, BUT I am a professional Bodybuilder.

If you workout only 3 times a week then you are in taking 2000 calories a week that are not being burned.. you are going to gain fat like nuts! 3500 calories are in a pound of fat, you will ALMOST be in taking a pound of fat in calories every week.

However, you do need to eat more calories but not to the extreme of 500 calories every day. I would say eating 3-400 calories on every workout day would be acceptable for the average weight lifter. And 1-200 calories (just in case if you need them) on every rest day (non- workout day).
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 30, 2009, 04:24 AM
    That's crazy and now I feel like a heffer. Thanks canadian. I haven't been gaining much weight during the past three weeks of my pregnancy and the past two days I have eaten almost 5000 calories a day. I'm going to get huge. :rolleyes:

Also sudha, muscle weighs more than fat. But you lose muscle more easily when you stop working out and taking care of your body. Thin isn't necessarily a bad thing, but healthy diet and exercise never hurt anyone. Unless you happen to be training for a hot dog eating contest or some other ridiculous competition. Listen to canadian, people who bodybuild pay very close attention to their bodies and respect them.

Jul 30, 2009, 04:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCrook View Post
    Hm.. I agree to disagree.

You should be working out 3 times MINIMUM, and the 500 calories is a bit extreme. I intake about 700 calories more then my BMR is, BUT I am a professional Bodybuilder.

If you workout only 3 times a week then you are in taking 2000 calories a week that are not being burned.. you are going to gain fat like nuts! 3500 calories are in a pound of fat, you will ALMOST be in taking a pound of fat in calories every week.

However, you do need to eat more calories but not to the extreme of 500 calories every day. I would say eating 3-400 calories on every workout day would be acceptable for the average weight lifter. and 1-200 calories (just in case if you need them) on every rest day (non- workout day).
    I doubt you are a bodybuilder... this post is not a good advice for a skinny guy!

Working out 3 times per week is the best for skinny guys (ectomorphs). More workouts are needed only for Pro Bodybuilders. And their workouts are not for skinny guys.

500cals over maintenance level IS NOT extreme.. Bulking is extreme when you eat everything you see, what I suggest is called clean bulk. It really surprises me to hear this from a bodybuilder..

Skinny guy won't gain much fat because we have a very fast metabolism. For some skinny guys 500 cals is not enough even. People need to eat consistently, not change amount of cals eaten depending on whether they workout or not. And if you eat less on rest day that is a mistake..

I have gained 20lbs myself and went from 110lbs to 130+ lbs now so I know this stuff from my own experience. People are free to ignore my advice always, but skinny guys shouldn't..

Jul 30, 2009, 04:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chey5782 View Post
    That's crazy and now I feel like a heffer. Thanks canadian. I haven't been gaining much weight during the past three weeks of my pregnancy and the past two days I have eaten almost 5000 calories a day. I'm going to get huge. :rolleyes:

Also sudha, muscle weighs more than fat. But you lose muscle more easily when you stop working out and taking care of your body. Thin isn't necessarily a bad thing, but healthy diet and exercise never hurt anyone. Unless you happen to be training for a hot dog eating contest or some other ridiculous competition. Listen to canadian, people who bodybuild pay very close attention to their bodies and respect them.
    Not everyone should take advice from bodybuilders... and definitely don't do routines from a pro bodybuilders on roids.. Magazines teach people to do whatever is the newest or best routine from Arnold or Jay Cutler or anyone else is.. the stuff doesn't work for simple skinny guy...

Jul 30, 2009, 04:49 AM
    Not everyone should take advice from bodybuilders.... and definitely don't do routines from a pro bodybuilders on roids.. Magazines teach people to do whatever is the newest or best routine from Arnold or Jay Cutler or anyone else is.. the stuff doesn't work for simple skinny guy...
    I never said everyone should take advice from bodybuilders. I said listen to canadian, who, if you look at his history of posting, is very clear about giving advice that is in keeping with the question asked. Fads diets are typically proven to not work, just like fads in body building. Which, if I read it right, is why the advice canadian gave was to make the "skinny guy" a little more knowledgeable about calorie intake and maintaining weight and weight gain based on years of experience.

I'm not disagreeing with you either, but don't misquote me to make a point, please. I find it offensive ;)

Jul 30, 2009, 04:59 AM
    I never said everyone should take advice from bodybuilders. I said listen to canadian, who, if you look at his history of posting, is very clear about giving advice that is in keeping with the question asked. Fads diets are typically proven to not work, just like fads in body building. Which, if I read it right, is why the advice canadian gave was to make the "skinny guy" a little more knowledgeable about calorie intake and maintaining weight and weight gain based on years of experience.

I'm not disagreeing with you either, but don't misquote me to make a point, please. I find it offensive ;)
    You said listen to Canadian who is a bodybuilder... therefore I assumed you advice to listen to bodybuilders.. No one wanted to offend you though..

In this particular case his advice was not the best, I've actually never heard anyone say that 500 cals over maintenance level is extreme and could cause a lot of fat gains... it doesn't...

Jul 30, 2009, 05:08 AM
    Well, from what the dietitians I have been to have told me, that information sounds correct. Maintaining depends on how active you are, and how much you need to intake in order to maintain.

I read the site you posted and I have to say, I don't agree with all of it.

But then, some people do differ on opinion when it comes to weight. Like the girl who can never lose that last 5 pounds. My bro is a skinny dude, and he did everything for YEARS to try to counteract it. For him the answer was distance running, he does 3-6 miles a day and drinks disgusting whey power drinks. That's the only thing that actually put mass on his skinny butt. Now he's bulky and it's all muscle. He loses it pretty fast if he doesn't keep working out though, he would lose 30 pounds well within a month if he only worked out without the running.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:22 AM
    I doubt you are a bodybuilder... this post is not a good advice for a skinny guy!

Working out 3 times per week is the best for skinny guys (ectomorphs). More workouts are needed only for Pro Bodybuilders. And their workouts are not for skinny guys.

500cals over maintenance level IS NOT extreme.. Bulking is extreme when you eat everything you see, what I suggest is called clean bulk. It really surprises me to hear this from a bodybuilder..

Skinny guy wont gain much fat because we have a very fast metabolism. For some skinny guys 500 cals is not enough even. People need to eat consistently, not change amount of cals eaten depending on whether they workout or not. And if you eat less on rest day that is a mistake..

I have gained 20lbs myself and went from 110lbs to 130+ lbs now so I know this stuff from my own experience. People are free to ignore my advice always, but skinny guys shouldn't..
    Hm, And by this experience.. you are going to tell me that adding 2000 unused calories is going to make you gain muscle? Yea.. NO! It is going to help you gain weight.. not the kind you are looking for ;).

And yes, I know all about clean and dirty bulking.. thank you for insulting me. And the "dirty bulk" routine.. is not used in the bodybuilding world. Dirty Bulk is for people who do not have the patience and understanding of how your body works. You are correct for suggesting a clean bulk, however this does not mean you need to up your dosage of calories by 3500 per week. People who do this, do this because they do not fully understand how the body works and are just in taking more calories for a safety net as they don't need to worry about their body fat percentage while off-season.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Well, from what the dietitians I have been to have told me, that information sounds correct. Maintaining depends on how active you are, and how much you need to intake in order to maintain.

But then, some people do differ on opinion when it comes to weight. Like the girl who can never lose that last 5 pounds. My bro is a skinny dude, and he did everything for YEARS to try to counteract it. For him the answer was distance running, he does 3-6 miles a day and drinks disgusting whey power drinks. That's the only thing that actually put mass on his skinny butt. Now he's bulky and it's all muscle. He loses it pretty fast if he doesn't keep working out though, he would lose 30 pounds well within a month if he only worked out without the running.
    Muscle is built from resistance and strength training, not cardiovascular endurance training. I can 100% guarantee that he did not gain his muscular physique from running. If he is a young man then perhaps he has reached puberty and is in taking enough nutrients and calories now to fully show this. Or.. he is doing some sort of physical activity daily (like a job perhaps?) which is resulting on a more muscular physique. Or.. perhaps he is losing body fat from all this cardiovascular activity and his muscles are getting more defined? It could be many, many reasons but long distance training without rst or strength training... is not one of them.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:29 AM
    Hm, And by this experience.. you are going to tell me that adding 2000 unused calories is going to make you gain muscle? Yea.. NO! It is going to help you gain weight.. not the kind you are looking for ;).

And yes, I know all about clean and dirty bulking.. thank you for insulting me. And the "dirty bulk" routine.. is not used in the bodybuilding world. Dirty Bulk is for people who do not have the patience and understanding of how your body works. You are correct for suggesting a clean bulk, however this does not mean you need to up your dosage of calories by 3500 per week. People who do this, do this because they do not fully understand how the body works and are just in taking more calories for a safety net as they don't need to worry about their body fat percentage while off-season.
    Most of the guys use cycle Bulk/cut from what I see. Clean bulking is a bit rarer. And it's definitely not extreme.

3500 cals per week is not that much for an ecto.. I haven't gained fat with that much. You also can't be sure that you calculate BMR very accurately. Using my method, you will get a bit less cals than using other formulas so this reduces risk of getting too much cals. I've never gained more than 2lbs a month except newbie gains.

Now this guy might not be an ecto, who knows... I'm still pretty sure that Clean Bulking is the way to go and 500 cals over BMR won't get him fat.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:31 AM

He couldn't have put on muscle with running... running is cardio and this doesn't build muscle, just help you lose weight. If he would stop running, he'd probably gain more weight if he kept eating as much.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Most of the guys use cycle Bulk/cut from what I see. Clean bulking is a bit rarer. And it's definitely not extreme.

3500 cals per week is not that much for an ecto.. I haven't gained fat with that much. You also can't be sure that you calculate BMR very accurately. Using my method, you will get a bit less cals than using other formulas so this reduces risk of getting too much cals. I've never gained more than 2lbs a month except newbie gains.

Now this guy might not be an ecto, who knows...I'm still pretty sure that Clean Bulking is the way to go and 500 cals over BMR wont get him fat.
    Please, discard anything BUT the basics.. in which you have been told.

You do NOT need 500 calories every day, I highly doubt you are working out hard enough to even use half of it.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:37 AM

Rookeek I encourage you to go this site;

Calorie Calculator

Jul 30, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Muscle is built from resistance and strength training, not cardiovascular endurance training. I can 100% guarantee that he did not gain his muscular physique from running. If he is a young man then perhaps he has reached puberty and is in taking enough nutrients and calories now to fully show this. Or.. he is doing some sort of physical activity daily (like a job perhaps?) which is resulting on a more muscular physique. Or.. perhaps he is losing body fat from all this cardiovascular activity and his muscles are getting more defined? It could be many, many reasons but long distance training without rst or strength training... is not one of them.
    I'll ask him later today and let you know. I know he had a huge issue with it until about 23 when he started running daily. He may have omitted his weight lifts because he was usually trying to get me to run and I refuse regularly. As far as I know though he has lifted weights regularly since the age of 12 and until he started running never saw any mass change. He was always super skinny and gangly.

Jul 30, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Please, discard anything BUT the basics.. in which you have been told.

You do NOT need 500 calories every day, I highly doubt you are working out hard enough to even use half of it.
    When you will have my metabolism, you will understand... ups.. you won't. So we will disagree for ever.

I've seen some bad stuff on about.com and won't trust it.

Plus remember that BMR is only minimal amount of cals needed, with a little movement, if you are active and have a physical job, 500 cals are necessary...

I'm not the only one who promotes clean bulk, even better, guy like Vince Del Monte promotes Bulking for skinny guys. He says clean bulk is not enough.

What I gave are the basics for gaining muscle. Eating 200 cals over BMR won't help you gain a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search