Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adkhkr Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 08:19 PM
    Whole House Trap.PVC?
    My town requires a whole house trap... do they make it in PVC or only cast iron. I went to a local plumbing supply and was told its only made in cast iron. I need to run a section of cast iron under the foundation but I was hoping to avoid connecting cast iron. Is connecting cast iron doable by a first timer if I had to or would I need to get a plumber.

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adkhkr View Post
    My town requires a whole house trap...do they make it in PVC or only cast iron. I went to a local plumbing supply and was told its only made in cast iron. I need to run a section of cast iron under the foundation but I was hoping to avoid connecting cast iron. Is connecting cast iron doable by a first timer if I had to or would I need to get a plumber.

You can makeyour own 4" running trap out of a 4" PVC return bend and two 4" PVC Street Ells, (see image) Good luck, Tom

Jul 18, 2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks Tom. If I wanted to have cleanouts on the house trap, can I put Ts on both end of the return bend instead of Street Ells?

Obviously this is a local issue, but would there be a reason why a PVC main house trap would be unacceptable or undesirable compared to a cast iron one?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Thanks Tom. If I wanted to have cleanouts on the house trap, can I put Ts on both end of the return bend instead of Street Ells?

Obviously this is a local issue, but would there be a reason why a PVC main house trap would be unacceptable or undesirable compared to a cast iron one?
    Yes! You cold use tees and bring then to grade with a cleanout. PVc/cast iron? A running trap's a running trap. There should be no reason a PVC running trap would be "unacceptable". Good luck, Tom

Jul 18, 2009, 07:45 AM

One last question before I go to the supply house... what type of PVC should I use... Sch 40, Sch 80, the green stuff?

Thanks.

Brad
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
    One last question before I go to the supply house...what type of PVC should I use...Sch 40, Sch 80, the green stuff?

Thanks.

Brad
    Hey Brad,
    Your sewer should be schedule#40 and that's what I'd use. Good luck, Tom

Jul 18, 2009, 09:55 AM

So I went to the plumbing supply house and picked up a 4" PVC return bend as suggested. Below is a picture of it... which side of the bend goes where or does it not matter? As you can see, one side has more of a radius on it than the other one.

My other question is that they didn't have straight 90 degree T's, all they had was Wye T's. The ones where one of the inlets comes into the T with a radius on it. Can you use these or should I shop around and find 90 degree T's?

Thanks.

Brad

Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 10:13 AM
    The return bend looks just fine. Ask for a couple of 4" PVC Sanitary Tees and two 4"PVC cleanouts, (see images) They should get you going. Don't forget PurplePrimer and PVC Cement. Good luck, Tom

Jul 18, 2009, 10:31 AM

Tom,

Thank you very much for your help. When I was talking the guy at the plumbing store he mentioned that the only reason it is required to have cast iron through the house is because of structural reasons if it runs through the foundation. Seeing how my waste pipe is going to run under the footing this is a non-issue. Although its not going to be inspected, I want to do properly and to code so I decided to do it with a 5' section of cast iron under the footing.

I would much rather have an all PVC waste system and eliminate the 5' section of cast iron. The guy at the plumbing store was talking about cast iron rusting out and the thought of digging this out in the future to replace it makes me nervous.

I was thinking of putting the PVC under the footing in a cast iron/steel sleeve, what do you think about this? I can't see how this method could be rejected because its seems like a good solution, at least to me.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
    Why should you have to "sleeve" anything if it's going under the footers and not through anything? That doesn't make sense. So whadda you going to sleeve? Inquiring minds want to know! Cheers, tom

Jul 18, 2009, 12:49 PM

It does sound stupid to sleeve something that doesn't need to be. Maybe I should just use PVC
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
    I would just run it under the footers. If you're not going to run it through a foundation what's to sleeve? Cheers, tom

Jul 22, 2009, 05:29 AM

I have another question... do I run the white Sch 40 PVC under the footer or the Green Pipe that comes in 13foot lengths? I was told that the "Green Pipe" is used outdoors to connect to the septic system. He said that its stronger than Sch 40 and that's why its used outdoors, which confuses me because the pipe seems to have a lot of give unlike Sch 40.

My concern is that the pipe will eventually be covered by a patio. I need the strongest pipe under this, is that green stuff going to hold up?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 22, 2009, 05:59 AM
    I don't have any experience with "Green PVC" but from what I can read up it's more of a environmental issue then one of strength. I would go with Schedule #40 throughout. Good luck, Tom

Jul 22, 2009, 10:58 AM

Here is the code for the outside pipe:

The sewer line from the building cast-iron pipe to the septic tank and to the leaching pool(s) shall meet or exceed commercial standards class 2400 sewer pipe, or ASTM standards for plastic sewer pipe with a minimum SDR 35 rating.

Does Sch 40 meet this requirement?

The code also says "There shall be a lenght of cast-iron sewer line extending through the foundation to a point a minimum of two feet beyond the foundation wall.

It says "through" the foundation wall. No mention about going under the foundation wall.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
    We have never had a problem with schedule #40 PVc meeting ASTM Standards.
    I read, "through the foundation " to read just that. I would check with your Building Department to be sure but forcing you to sleeve or convert to cast iron when you're not going "through" anything doesn't make much sense. But then again I've run into bunches of codes I consider senseless. Regards, Tom

Aug 2, 2009, 01:39 PM
    So I have installed the PVC under the footing and connected the main house trap that I built with PVC fittings. My next question is what type of fitting the main fresh air inlet should be?

I was going to use a 4" sanitary Tee and run it up and out.

Thanks.

Brad
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 2, 2009, 02:33 PM
    So I have installed the PVC under the footing and connected the main house trap that I built with PVC fittings. My next question is what type of fitting the main fresh air inlet should be?

I was going to use a 4" sanitary Tee and run it up and out.

Thanks.

Brad
    Hey Brad,
    What do you mean by "main fresh air inlet" Do you mean to vent the sewer line or the septic tank?" Is this called for in your local ordinance as well as the running trap? Let me know, Tom

Aug 2, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Here is a picture of what is required...

Eternal Plumber

Aug 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Where do you live?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you Install a house trap yourself? [ 4 Answers ]

I just had a plumber come out and they told me that my house trap is rusted/clogged and has tree roots in it. Their recommendation is to replace it (I totally agree) I'm pretty sure that the code in Allegheny county, PA says that you have to keep the trap. Unfortunately, the Roto-Rooter guy said...

Installing House Trap [ 14 Answers ]

Hi there. I found this site after researching house traps I live in Allegheny County, Pittsburgh PA We have a septic tank, and the water and sewage authority is requiring us to disconnect from our present (working) septic, And connecting to their sewage line, About 60 feet down a steep hill....

New house, no p trap in shower, buried in concrete. [ 3 Answers ]

So, we built a new house, had a plumber do the rough in and run the water lines. Had another contractor build the shower base's for custom showers. I tiled one shower and it turned out gorgous. Then after using the shower a couple of times a horrible gas smell arouse, I thought it might be the...

Sewer P-trap for house main line [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a 40 year old single story home in San Diego and we love it, except we get a sewer smell periodically outside (depending on weather, I guess). The smell is really bad. Had a plumbing come out and unclog a clog, and he mentioned maybe putting a P-trap on the our main line between the house &...

House Trap Odor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a horrible odor coming from the house trap. What could be the cause and what Can I do to correct it? Thank you for any suggestions.

View more questions Search