Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbadd Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Crawl space
    Hello there...
    I've recently came upon a problem with condensation within the home (mini home). Each morning all the windows are really wet and the window sill is soaked! After going under the house I've noticed that things are pretty wet there too. Is there something you can get to rid of condensation under the house to prevent it in side or am I way off base??
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 05:18 PM
    At one time water stood in my crawl space. I have put a lot of work into it, and it is now dry and warm in the winter. My floors are warm.

Start with checking the grading around the house. You should have at least one block above ground, and the ground sloping away from the house. Cut a swale if you have to. Then carefully seal the walls and floor above. Caulk the joints between the foundation and plate, and the plate and band joist, the band joist and floor above, and around all the pipes and wires. That includes ones going up through the floor. Warm, moist air can follow them into the house and clear up to the attic. Patch all cracks in the foundation. I coated mine with a cement based paint.

You may want to smooth up the floor so it all slopes to one corner. That way if you eventually have to add a drain, you can. Then cover the floor with plastic running it up the walls and sealing it to the wall. That should keep your crawl space dry and what moisture does get in, won't get up into the house. Leave the vents closed all year. They only let warm, moist air in in the summer to condense. That is not the conventional wisdom. It works very well for me. My pipes don't collect condensation in the summer.

You may want to improve your windows too. Well sealed windows or storms keep moisture from collecting on the windows allowing a healthful higher level of moisture in the house.
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Oct 28, 2006, 12:38 PM
    I agree with Labman. The area under and around
    Your home is the source of the problem. He gives good advise. Hard to do though crawling around on your belly. There are several products for sealing the inside walls under your home. Do a search for basement moisture/water proofing/ or various related terms. I would first check around the exterior of your home. I have a basement in my 2 story home. I found when I moved in if I left the sprinklers on to long that the water seeped through the earth and came up in my basement
    Forming a "creek" of water running west to east and thankfully down and out a floor drain installed for that purpose. Might want to check the crawl space after/during watering the yard?
    I reduced the time length of the automatic sprinklers I had installed end of water problem in the basement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crawl space [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I'm from Ontario Canada. I bought a house last July, it's approx. 55 ft by 40 ft with a crawl space of 16 inches in height. There is 2 windows (screens) at each end of the 55 ft length and I was told by the owner to block the windows with styrofoam to keep it warm during the winter time so...

Crawl space water [ 3 Answers ]

I have a crawl space in my condo with a sump pump. For the past few years I have had large amounts of water come out of my sump pump into my front yard, and it spills onto my sidewalk, turning it rusty colored. My neighbors crawl is bone dry. I have called several plumbers, but get a different...

Crawl space [ 1 Answers ]

I need help on how much lime I need for crawl space.:o :o

Gas water heater in a crawl space? [ 7 Answers ]

I am looking for a gas hot water heater I can instal in a crawl space. I have 3-4 feet of headroom. It needs to be big enough to supply all the hot water for a 4 bedroom house. However the water system does not supply enough water for 2 showers at once. Bosh makes a tankless heater that would...

Crawl space vents open or closed? [ 1 Answers ]

Should I open or close my crawl space vents during the winter. I live in west NC, so it will most likely be below freezing most nights throughout the winter. I come from FL and am not used to this. I just don't want mey water line freezing up. Thanks! Craig

View more questions Search