Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 06:11 PM
    Qualifications To Post on Christianity Board
    If I'm wrong with what I've written below, tell me and I will disappear forever from this Board.

My understanding, after reading the rules, is that anyone can question/answer Christianity topics. Being a member of this church or that church is not a requirement. Even less is it a requirement to be "born again".

And, it is absolutely NOT required to proselytize for one's faith. An atheist can post here as well as a committed Christian. Although I'm not an atheist, I recognize many atheists are well-schooled in comparative religion.

If, after reading the rules, some disagree, please lay out your cogent arguments in support of your position. Thanks.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 06:18 PM

I agree definitely.

Not only that, part of being a christian, is being accepting and NON JUDGEMENTAL
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 09:35 PM

You are correct and I agree. Sadly many others will not, even though the rules state exactly what you said.

The Christianity forum is a fight waiting to happen 99% of the time.

Everyone has differing beliefs, even the Christians don't always agree with each other.

I don't think I've ever seen a Christianity thread go to the end on it's own, the majority are shut down because of fights, name calling etc.

But, yes, anyone can post on this forum, no matter what they believe. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2009, 04:53 AM
    The subject of a forum does not, in any way, restrict participation to that forum. Electricians can answer Plumbing questions and vice versa. Computer experts can answer Law questions ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    And, it is absolutely NOT required to proselytize for one's faith.
    I will take this one step further, proselytizing is distinctly frowned on. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and we are very much about respecting people's rights to believe in what they want to. Denigrating one's beliefs because they don't conform to your own should be reported and will be dealt with. Promoting your onw beliefs to the exclusion of all others is not nice.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 04:58 AM
    I agree with the other posts. People tend to take their religion, or lack thereof, very personally. Even though I'm a Christian, I realize that many people in this world are not and I would never berate, harass or otherwise intimidate someone whose beliefs were different from mine. I might respectfully disagree with someone but that's about it. And I certainly don't take it personally if someone disagrees with me. I know what I believe and why I believe it. I'm certainly willing to discuss (but not argue) it with any willing participant.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 06:51 AM

And simply because someone comes on here and posts who has the word "expert" after their name should not make them immune from being criticized for making false or misleading comments. Same as us regular folks. Just because they have laid claim to being an expert in one subject does not make them an expert in all topics. I have seen some really dumb comments and actions by the "experts" that if it were anybody else their comments would have been deleted.
    In my opinion all are free to comment, If a person comes onto the Christian boards simply to argue against what was posted and has no scriptural backup for their comments we should be able to refute or ignore it.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:01 AM

I certainly enjoy posts from other faiths and I have no problem with discussions. I did suggest when answering on the Christian board and you are NOT a christian you might want to let the OP know as they are LOOKING for Christian responses... or else they would post elsewhere. I got a big fat reddie for that one.. lol! So OK fine it was a suggestion that is all.

I can only speak for myself, I want others to post here. I will disagree with you if I think you are wrong. There are plenty of Christians I disagree with too. So what? What is wrong with disagreeing and not everyone seeing eye to eye? It IS going to happen. We don't need to get nasty. If I HAVE been then I apologize.

Alty, actually not all Christian posts are shut down... I have started a few that ended without a fight... it CAN happen. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:07 AM

Hello A:

I'm an athiest/Jew/exconvict/troublemaker. That don't stop me from stirring things up over there, and I do.

excon
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The subject of a forum does not, in any way, restrict participation to that forum. Electricians can answer Plumbing questions and vice versa. Computer experts can answer Law questions ;)
    OK, but if I post something that isn't correct then I shouldn't be surprised if someone disagrees with me. Am I right or am I wrong? I don't usually run around given reddies to people... I just disagree and say why I do. Is this a violation?
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 18, 2009, 08:19 AM

I think most of the time people play devil's advocate in order to get us thinking in a more broad direction. However, as a pagan myself, I have little or no desire to post on the Christianity board unless a christian is asking people not of the same faith to answer a question from outside the box, so to speak. I just noticed there is no forum for pagan under religion, and the other religions area seems to have things that aren't really focused on a topic. Maybe I should ask about that one just for me. Resident pagan and earth lover. Heh.

However, having said that. I went to a private christian school for 7 years, have read the Bible completely through somewhere around 7 times now, and can discuss Biblical theology with the best of 'em. Should I HAVE to be excluded from a discussion that interests me if I am genuinely interested?

I think if you respect the topic then it can in SOME instances be okay, but mainly just for theological discussion if your religion doesn't include in some way Christianity. If someone were asking spiritual advice though, as a non-Christian, I'd bow out.

I hope that made sense. Some people just like to debate it.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:32 AM

I will play "devil's advocate" here and say that questions that are asked directly about a specific religion or a specific book written on that religion should be answered knowledgeably by those that can answer in such a way.

No, I am not saying that only certain faiths can answer those questions but if someone asks "What does the Bible say about this?" It should be answered with what the Bible says about that... and not necessarily why others don't agree with it.

(Although, I have to admit, I may have been a little hypocritical about this at times :o )

EDIT: I suppose this would have to exclude different interpretations of the said books or religions.
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jul 18, 2009, 08:35 AM

Everyone should understand that Christians who take their mandate seriously are going to be competetive. They will use a combination of Scripture and reason to justify their position.

That is going to be called preaching by some.

It will be called hate by a few.

But how can it be called a Christianity board if Christians are not allowed to present their full beliefs for all to see?

If it is censored in the name of being polite or politically correct, then it has lost its reason for being.

Or at least, that is what I think.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:39 AM

I don't think anyone is saying it should be censored.

And yes, let them preach. But if it comes to that, you have to understand that there are those of us out there that feel the same desire to bring others to a common belief... using the same Scripture and reason.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:40 AM

Hello again:

galveston agrees: Yes. There's no one here I would rather argue with than you.

You know, gal and I don't agree on NOTHING, except how to be respectful to one another - and THAT'S why it works.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    You know, gal and I don't agree on NOTHING, except how to be respectful to one another - and THAT'S why it works.

excon
    Could you imagine what it would be like if we were ALL that way? :eek: :confused:

Jul 18, 2009, 09:12 AM

Thanks, Ex!
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 09:14 AM

Can I take this moment to commend some of you dedicated Christian posters in your INSANE ability to whip out corresponding scripture in a moments notice!

:D

I don't care who you are.. that is impressive.

Jul 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    Can I take this moment to commend some of you dedicated Christian posters in your INSANE ability to whip out corresponding scripture in a moments notice!!

:D

I don't care who you are.. that is impressive.
    Well, thanks, but I can't take too much credit. I cheat. I have a good Bible program on my computer.:)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 11:00 AM

I personally, in my own honest opinion, think that maybe the mods should disable the 'rate' button for the religeon boards. There are just too many confliction veiws and OPINIONS, and people are getting reddies for disagreeing, and that is against the rules is it not?
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 18, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Dang, you guys get really into this. It's almost like the debates in the chat rooms. *gag*

No matter how they change the board it would probably stay the same. Faith based religion is an easy target for people who have a deep or next to no understanding of the common principles.

A person can use the Bible itself to contradict and distort truth. There are guidelines though, for yanno, the good hearted ones 1 Tim chapter 4 does explain it pretty well. I've heard preachers say the devil likes to go to church too, he did know God after all. If you look at Christianity and cite the religion within its historical accuracy.I think it comes down to respect and belief, when differing opinion clash, all hell breaks lose?

More to the point, is it ethical and respectful for a person like me, openly a non-christian, so come to these forums and stick my foot in on a faith that I obviously disagree with at least on some level, otherwise I would be a Christian. Personally, nope. But I sure do find the Bible and believers to be fascinating and informative.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Answerway christianity board [ 2 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, Doles anyone know when and if Anserway.com Christianity board will open again? If so do you know when? Thanks hope12:)

View more questions Search