Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justice06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 03:06 PM
    False Arrest
    I was falsly arrested in Texas for a felony crime, does anybody know a lawyer that will handle the case and sue the county for false arrest?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 03:26 PM
    First of all, you must give more details.

Secondly, this is a world wide site, so the chances of you finding an lawyer in your area may be slim.
    justice06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
    Are you a lawyer? The detective blatantly refuses to do his detective job, he talked to the suspect and let him go.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 03:38 PM
    No, I am not a lawyer, however I was a legal assistant, paralegal and the like prior to moving on to medicine.

I was just trying to give you a heads up that it may be hard to find someone in your particular area to answer your question.

As vague as your question is so far, it may be hard to get anyone to answer at all.

Just a little info to help you out.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Justice, all you can do is
    1. Summarize what you feel is your case into 120 seconds, and
    2. Call around your area for attorneys who believe you have a case that can be won (so that they'll give you good info over the phone instead of scheduling a long or expensive consultation).

Keep in mind the tough truth: Many of them will take your case knowing they'll make good money off you whether you win or lose.

If it were me I'd be pressing friends and family for an honest attorney that will tell you straight up whether you have a good case or not. There is no sense, I'm sure you'll agree, in pressing a case that has a slim chance of winning... unless money (that you'd spend to have it filed, investigated and pursued) is not an issue for you.

Share the details and you'll get more feedback no doubt. And yes, we do have an attorney or three who frequent this site.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
    It appears what you are saying is that the police questioned the person you believe did the crime, but did not feel they did it, but did believe you did th crime and arrested you.

If the officer had proper evidence to get probable cause for the arrest, most likely there is no case, Normally you will have to prove intent to arrest you while they knew you did not do it.

The wrong person gets arrested and then often charges droped daily in our nation, actually dozens of time a day or more as a case progresses.

And often sadly police have pre conceived ideas about who the most likley suspect is, ( take the Ramsey case where the little girl was killed, they spent years trying to prove the father did it, but never found any evidence to prove he did it, They did not search much for anyone else, since they were looking for evidence to convict him.

Normally police doing a poor job is not enough to sue over either, since many, actually most don't have the man power or the funding to do good investigations for most crimes
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Hello false:

How do you know you were falsely arrested? Oh, I know you may be innocent, but that's not the same thing. What information do you have that the cops acted inappropriately? Do you have a copy of the arrest warrant? Were the charges dismissed? Where there charges ever filed? Were you acquitted? Has the statute of limitations run out? Have they convicted anyone else for the crime? Has a judge indicated there has been prosecutorial or police misconduct? Have they returned any items they've seized from you? Has anyone apologized to you?

Tell me more.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 17, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Excon, if I remember right, 99 percent of every inmate I speak to in prison is innocent and was falsely arrested and convicted.

A few are I am sure, but being innocent does not mean you will not be convicted, so if you are arrested, right now the main thing is a defense.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justice06
    I was falsly arrested in texas for a felony crime, does anybody know a lawyer that will handle the case and sue the county for false arrest?
    This site is not really a referral service. There should be a chapter of the American Bar Association in your area. That would be a good place to get a referral. Or simply check the Yellow Pages.

If you would like our advice on the strength of your case, give us a synopsis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

True or false [ 2 Answers ]

Is an e'mail traceable back to the sender?

False Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

My father in law got immedupper. Dentures in April 05. He had server perio like 12mm pockets. He had a lot of bone loss and lot of his teeth were moveable. He had problems on and on and in Nov 05 he had them reline. When he left that day he said they were fine and that he could eat with them. Well...

True or false? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it true that if you lose wieght you stretch marks will become less noticeable?

True or false [ 21 Answers ]

If u ask a loved 1 a question in their sleep... and they answer! Is that answer true or false? Any ideas.

View more questions Search