Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raghav_s_81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
    Moving to India from USA for good - some questions.
    I am Indian citizen and I have been working in the USA (H1-B) for the last 3 years. I am planning to move to India for good in the beginning of 2010. I have some questions in this regard.

1. I have around 25000$ USD in savings. What is the best way to take this money to India when I move back? How do I ensure that this amount is not taxed by the Indian govt (as I have already paid tax for this in USA) ? I have an NRE account in India. Will transferring all my savings to the NRE A/C be a good option.

2. I have around 20000$ USD in 401k retirement. I am planning to do an early withdrawal of this. What are the tax liabilities of doing so?

3. How do I file my US-taxes for 2009 from India? I have been doing it online through Turbo-Tax so far. Will that still work.

Anything else that I need to take care of ? Any inputs on this will be greatly appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 20, 2009, 07:48 AM
    1) I cannot answer this question, as it deal with INDIAN tax law, and this forum addresses U.S. tax law. You may want to post this question on mytaxes - Index

2) You will pay a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty in addition to normal federal and state income taxes. I recommend that you transfer the money to a Charles Schwab rollover IRA, then manage the fund from India via phone, Internet and email. That way, the taxes are avoided until after you retire.

3) You probably can file your resident alien return (Form 1040) from India on-line, but I would query TurboTax to be sure they allow the filing of such taxes from a location outside of the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questions about moving to another country [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am an American and would like to move to another country to live, work and raise my future children. I don't know where to start. Anyone? Input, comments.. If any one has done it would you please share your experience. Thank you

What type of business I can start in india with low investment and good profit? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to start a business in india with low investment from which I can get good profit?

Tax implication when returning to India for good [ 6 Answers ]

I am an Indian working in L1 visa for last 5 years in US and want to go back to India in Feb 2008. I have questions on Resident Status in US and India for the years 2007 and 2008. I have spent only 150 days in India in the years Jan 2003 to Dec 2007 and the remaining time is in USA. I came to US in...

Moving to India - Tax question on investments [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I will be moving to India in summer of 2008. I have close to 50K invested in mutual funds. What are the issues I need to worry about in terms of taxes? Would it be better to move the investment to India to avoid complications? This would not be my preferred choice since some of the funds...

View more questions Search