Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BKGirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 08:18 AM
    I need to leave New York; should I move to Atlanta?
    I need to get away from my family who is letting my adult sister of 30 years old stay there and take advantage of my parents. We do not get along, I guess I'm the black sheep. I live on my own but I no longer think living near them will give me any peace as they refuse to change anything. This question relates to another post I posted: Adult sibling still the favorite, I want to Move Away from my Family. I also need to get away and try to break ties with my narcissist boyfriend (friend now).

However, this question is more about whether it makes sense for me to move to Atlanta. Why Atlanta? It's the only city I know better than any other in the U.S. as I have been there several times to visit, and I already have a friend there. With the economy being what it is, should I find a job before moving there in Oct (when my lease in my NY apt expires)? Realizing how spread out Atlanta is, finding a job first probably makes sense before finding housing as I could cut my commute time down. However, I have tried in the past to look for a job by sending out my resume and explaining when I would be visiting, but no one contacted me for an interview. I guess I could move down there, keep most of my stuff in storage until I find a job then move someplace closer to the job.

Another main reason for wanting to leave NY is to cut down on the commute time. Also, I'm just tired of NY, been here all my life and am tired of commuting into the city everyday. Right now, I'm not working so I have the flexibility to move. I had to quit that job because I felt burned out after working as an office assistant in various financial co. for the last 10 years. I also hate office politics and feel I would work better alone but working from home has not been profitably either as I try to blog. But that is yet another post.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 08:38 AM

I've never been to Atlanta and have no sense of the city, but I applaud your interest in bettering your life. I will PM my favorite young man, ISneezeFunny, another AMHD member who lives and works in Atlanta, to encourage him to read your post and respond to you.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 08:56 AM
    Atlanta is a great city. Very diverse, warm climate, cheaper real estate than you're used to. Good luck on the move and job search.

Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce

Look at the " quality of life" section.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hello, I have been summoned by Wondergirl to respond to your post.

I have lived in the ATL for the past 9 years, and I have to say, I love this city. As far as job security, it's not too great... but I guess it's not as bad as other cities.

Umm... what would you like to know about the ATL?

Jul 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    Hello, I have been summoned by Wondergirl to respond to your post.

I have lived in the ATL for the past 9 years, and I have to say, I love this city. As far as job security, it's not too great...but I guess it's not as bad as other cities.

umm...what would you like to know about the ATL?
    What areas are best if I were to first locate housing before a job? Not sure if it'll be possible to find a job from NY. Since Atlanta is so spread out, the last thing I want is a long commute.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 12:50 PM

True. I guess that really depends on what type of person you are. Atlanta is a pretty big city, not to mention, has really great surrounding metro areas. I live about 5 minutes from downtown, 5 minutes from Lenox/Phipps plaza/buckhead, which is an upscale part of town (think... soho on a lesser scale).

Are you a suburbia type of person, or a city type of person? Also, what type of job are you looking for?

Jul 18, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post

Are you a suburbia type of person, or a city type of person? Also, what type of job are you looking for?
    I'm more of a city person I think because I'm used to that type of environment. I don't like Manhattan to live in but prefer Brooklyn. I guess I'm looking for an office assistant job which is what I have experience in.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 01:39 PM

Gotcha. Well, as I said, Atlanta's a great city to live in... I suggest you do some research as far as finding jobs before you decide on the area in which you want to settle in. As far as traffic goes, sure, there's rush hour traffic and such, but it's manageable. If you have any other questions about the city, or anything more specific, feel free to ask.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Pregnant and want to leave the father and move out of state. [ 3 Answers ]

I want to leave the fatehr of my unborn child after trying to sustain the relationship; his alcoholism has been the major issue. He has made a threat on my life and told me to abort the baby in a rather gruesome way. When he is ober he wants the child and wishes to continue the relationship. I have...

How old do you have to be to move out in New York [ 1 Answers ]

I want to move out of my parent's house; how old do I have to be? I want to be more independent. What's the legal age that you can rent your own apartment?

Getting a family member to leave my home when I move [ 7 Answers ]

I presently lease a home and my name is the only one on the lease document. My daughter (39) and grand daughter (15) are listed as occupants. My daughters boyfriend also lives in the house. I am in the process of buying a condo for myself and feel that my daughter will refuse to leave when I...

Want to leave mortgage/house and move os [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I have a house in the uk valued at 200,000 (as at Dec. '07) and secured and unsecured loan of 190,000 with our mortgage company - many potential buyers who have 'disappeared' at the final hurdle. My wife and I are separated - I live in Spain with 2 of our kids and she's in the uk with the...

View more questions Search