Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    01CALLIES Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Wage garnishment
    I am head of household in the state of Florida can a attorney for a credit card company attach my wages please help:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 01CALLIES View Post
    i am head of household in the state of florida can a attorney for a credit card company attach my wages please help:confused:
    Here is the state law on Florida garnishment and I hope this answers your question. Apparently if you are the head of the household in Florida, and you make over $500 per week, you wages cannot be garnished. More on this website:

Federal Restrictions on Wage Garnishments

Tick

Jul 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Wage garnishment
    Recently I asked about credit card garnishment being head of household does this stand also for any kind of unsecured debit as in cash loans can they do wage garnisment on this thanks bill:confused:
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 02:46 PM

Yes, assuming they get a judgment against you first.

Jul 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Wage garnishment
    I have been told I live in Florida and can't have my wages garnished for cash loans or credit card debt if I am the head of household is this true I am still confused can you please help me
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 03:35 PM

I thought I answered your question. Have you not been reading any posts submitted.

Tick
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 03:43 PM
    Every state is different. If Florida law prohibits the garnishing of wages for consumer debt I doubt that it's related to any 'head of household' status.

Jul 16, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Wage garnishment
    tickle, yes I did read your replay but does this also appy for cash unsecured loans
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 04:01 PM

Please stop opening new threads. These should be combined. Also, please read the advice you have been given before you ask any additional questions.

You have been given this information. Did you read it?

Jul 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
    To tickle
    I am still confused about your answer am I still excempt for wage garnisment being head of household against cash loans I have taken out I live in Florida
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 04:05 PM

This is not a message board - please stop using it as one.

Here is the information. Tickle has given you the appropriate information and for some reason you appear to be ignoring it. IF YOU ARE THE HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD YOUR WAGES ARE EXEMPT.

Debt and Bankruptcy Laws -- Florida
    WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: Federal law applies [if head of household, 100% of wages are exempt)

All of these posts should be combined.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Every state is different. If Florida law prohibits the garnishing of wages for consumer debt I doubt that it's related to any 'head of household' status.

Here is Florida Law. You will note (despite your doubts) that the exemption IS based on HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD STATUS.

WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: Federal law applies [if head of household, 100% of wages are exempt).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 16, 2009, 04:28 PM

First, please don't start a new thread for follow-up questions, use the Answer This Question options. I've merged your threads for you, please stay in this one for follow-up.

Second, yes as head of houselhold your wages are exempt from garnishment. That doesn't mean that the creditor can't attach your bank account once deposited.

Jul 17, 2009, 08:30 AM
    Bank account freezing
    I live in Florida I am head of household I have been told a creditor can't garnish my wages ,but can they freeze my bank account that has 2 names on it :confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 07:06 AM

Please stop opening new threads -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

How much is to pay wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

How much is to pay garnishment from $1500. I live in California

Wage Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I was just notified by my creditor that they are garnishing my paycheck. Is there anyway to stop a garnishment besides giving them the full amount that I owe?

Wage Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I Guess this goes here... since all the other Garnishment questions are. Anyway. Long story short. I bought a car in Nevada(where I live) in Oct 07 the car then was totalled out in Dec 07. My insurance wouldn't pay off the entire amount of the vehicle. Payoff was ~$6800 and insurance only paid...

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I keep getting calls from a creditor about a bill that is not mine. I did not live at the address that the bill was at. I do not believe that I am responsible for this bill. I am in the process of clearing it from my credit report, but this collection agency keeps threatening me with a wage...

View more questions Search