Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Turasleon Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 10:42 AM
    1995 Pontiac Grand Am
    Okay, so, a few months ago I bought a '95 Grand Am with 80,000 miles. The day I bought the car, it began to overheat, and I noticed there was no coolant in the chamber. Easy fix.

Car went a few days without incident, and began to overheat when stopped, but cooled while I drove. Checked, fan wasn't working. Got it changed.

Car still overheated, now it just happened while I was driving regardless of my speed. Got the thermostat and water pump changed.

A few weeks later, car went from half heat to almost red lining in a matter of thirty seconds, turned out the radiator had a crack that expanded, blowing a hole in the radiator. Had that replaced.

Kept two bottles of antifreeze and jugs of water in my car to keep filling up the antifreeze to make sure I had enough in the tank. Was fine for a week, then the Low Coolant light turned on. Car was leaking antifreeze from under the cap. Fan also apparently isn't working again, going to test it this weekend when I can have the tool available.

Any suggestions as to what could be the problem? I really appreciate the help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 12:32 PM

The low coolant light can come on if the float in the reservoir hangs up. It's very common on cars, after a few years. It happened on my 2000 Taurus and I just unplugged the sensor on the bottom of the reservoir. From what you say, I would replace the radiator cap. Be sure to only use a 50/50 mixture of the recommended antifreeze and distilled water. Here's a link that might help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235973

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternator wiring on a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix and there is a fuse link wire coming off the alternator but I'm not sure where it goes... can anyone help?

Pontiac Grand Am [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a free service manual for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am.

1995 Pontiac Firebird [ 7 Answers ]

I have a '95 firebird and on my way home from work today I went to stop at a light and it felt like the brakes didn't catch. An indicator light came on and said "Trac Low" and the ABS Inop indcator light came on. My ABS Inop has been coming on and off the past few days, but I've had no problem...

Pontiac grand am dying out again [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 96 Pontiac grand am that is giving us fits. It dies out at the end of the street (stop sign) Can start up again, but have to keep driving. We've had it repaired (fuel line, fuel pressure gauge) was told the engine was flooded (the car went through a period of not even starting prior to...

2003 Pontiac Grand Am [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Am. When I try to start my car all of the interior lights come on as well as the head lights. But my car will not start. This problem has been going on for sometime now. But ever other time my buddy will tow my car to where ever I need it to be towed and it will just...

View more questions Search