Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    transistor2002 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Drawers don't close evenly
    Greetings All,

I am in the process of installing drawers in my kitchen cabinets below the countertop. Some of the drawers are not closing evenly leaving one end of the drawer face projecting past the face frame.

What can cause this and how do I alleviate it.

Thanks much.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 03:49 PM

Where are the drawer runners? On the side or on the bottom?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 05:57 PM

The draw runners were not installed perpendicular to cabinet face nor parallel to each other.

Chuck

Jul 17, 2009, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Where are the drawer runners? On the side or on the bottom?
    The slides are side mounted. They are ball bearing 130 lb rated full extension slides.

Jul 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    The draw runners were not installed perpendicular to cabinet face nor parallel to each other.

Chuck
    Thanks, good info. At least I know where to start.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 10:31 AM

Drawer not square or cabinet not square. Use small washers between runners and cabinet sides to shift drawer direction of travel. Washers between rear of side that has the gap and front of side that is tight.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 05:52 PM

Use a framing square to set cabinet rail perpendicular to cabinet face.

If rail goes to back of cabinet, one of the holes is a slot.This is used to adjust rail so draws close correctly.

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2009, 11:19 PM

I'm with creahands on this one. The rails going back into the cabinets is almost always the culprit for up down side to side etc. The cabinet is a flat surface. The draw face is a flat surface. The runners for the draw to slide into needs to be at a 90 and level. Sides or bottom runners. Still the same results

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dresser drawers- Can't get them out. [ 5 Answers ]

We're shopping for bedroom furniture after a fire and found a set we like that's in the range Allstate gave us (cheap). We really do like the set-- it goes with the trim and the style of that room, but we couldn't get the drawers out. I mean, they pull out so you can use them, but we couldn't...

Drawers will not slide [ 6 Answers ]

We bought an unfinished chest of drawers. The drawers are extremely difficult (next to impossible) to slide in/out. We have put bar soap, but no luck. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Upstairs not heating evenly [ 2 Answers ]

We have a three level house (unfinished basement) and two furnaces for each upper level. Ever since we have moved in (3 years ago) we have had a large disparity between the upstairs and downstairs despite putting each thermostat to the same tempature. In particular the master bedroom is commonly...

Swollen dresser drawers [ 1 Answers ]

It was very humid this summer and now some of my dresser drawers are swollen and I am unable to open them. What can I do to enable them to be opened again?

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search