Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magoonh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
    What fallacy is this?
    The number of alcoholics has risen steadily for the past 20 years, and so has the number of treatment centers. Therefore, to cut down on alcoholism we should eliminate the treatment centers.
    LSVOlpe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 09:07 AM
    What type of fallacy statement is "From one politician about another: “He’s a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!”
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magoonh View Post
    The number of alcoholics has risen steadily for the past 20 years, and so has the number of treatment centers. Therefore, to cut down on alcoholism we should eliminate the treatment centers.

Affirming the consequent. It assumes there is only one possible reason for the rise in alcoholism.
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Jul 16, 2009, 10:57 AM
    It would seem a more simple solution to simply raise the tax on alcohol, like they have with cigarettes, make it less available to the masses instead of encouraging the outcome. Thus eliminating the supply to the lower-class.

Your statement proves false using the cigarette as an example, there are government programs to help people quit, yet the rise in cost has eliminated more smokers annually than the treatments made available for free to help people quit.
    -Seven- Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Jul 26, 2009, 04:44 AM

I wouldn't go as far as removing the treatment centers. There are alcoholics that choose to be and are fine with being alcoholics, and then there are those who regret their mistake in slipping so far. To deny treatment would be cruel, not everyone is intelligent or perceptible of their problems. As for those alcoholic by choice, all you can do is accept it or reject it and worn them of the potential harm. To do anything more would be absurd. People change only when they want to change, it took me many years to learn that truth.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 14, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magoonh View Post
    This fallacy is known as, the fallacy of non sequitur , or 'does not follow'

While it is possible that the premise is true, i.e.. The rise in the number of alcoholics. It does not follow that the conclusion is true, i.e.. Getting rid of treatment centres will solve this problem.

It can be said that there has been a giant argumentative leap taken place here.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 14, 2009, 02:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LSVOlpe View Post
    What type of fallacy statement is "From one politician about another: “He’s a two-faced, liberal, anti-family, anti-values idealist!”
    This is an easy one. Fallacy of argumentum ad hominem. Politicians do this every day of the week. They are attacking the character of a person rather than addressing what they are saying.

A persons character is irrelevant to any debate. I can be the worst person on the face of the earth while at the same time being the world's greatest scientist. Does this mean that my research is worthless based on my character. Of course not.
    akelly34 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
    Slippery slope
    sammgs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2011, 10:59 PM
    It is an informal fallacy known as "false cause"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fallacy [ 7 Answers ]

1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more that most. 2.On a radio as: Have you been fatigued irritable moody? If these symptoms are ignored you might become depressed or even suicidal, Ward off t he blues by taking a pill proven to...

What kind of fallacy is this? [ 1 Answers ]

In one of her columns, Abigail Van Buren printed the letter of “I’d rather be a widow.” The letter writer, a divorcée, complained about widows Who said they had a hard time coping. Far better, she wrote, to be a Widow than to be a divorcée, who are all “rejects” who have been “publicly dumped”...

What type of fallacy is this? [ 1 Answers ]

Letter to the editor: “I would like to express my feelings on the recent Conflict between county supervisor Blanche Wilder and Murdock County Sheriff Al Peters over the county budget. “I have listened to sheriffs’ radio broadcasts. Many times there have Been dangerous and life-threatening...

Which fallacy would this be? [ 7 Answers ]

On a radio ad: “Have you been fatigued, irritable, moody? If these symptoms are ignored, you might become depressed or even suicidal! Ward off the blues by taking a pill proven to cheer you up. Millions of people have, and they’re glad they did!”

What kind of fallacy is this? [ 4 Answers ]

It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most. What kind of fallacy is this?

View more questions Search