Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meiko Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 05:10 AM
    SOL for debt collection in Ontario, Canada
    Hi,
    I have a collection agency calling me about a debt from 5 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations on debt collection in Ontario, Canada?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 05:42 AM

SOLin Ontario is a gray area apparently. Supposed to be six years. Don't respond to them. If it is a debt collection company they have bought from someone else for so many cents on the dollar.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    SOLin Ontario is a gray area apparently. Supposed to be six years. Dont respond to them. If it is a debt collection company they have bought from someone else for so many cents on the dollar.

tick

I don't understand how you see a grey area. This is the answer which is very often posted in regard to this question.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ada-22139.html

Jul 16, 2009, 07:43 AM

I just spoke with them and it's actually from 2002... so 7 years ago. Is there a way to politely ask them to stop calling or do I have to get an attorney?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 07:44 AM

Tell them not to call you again - determine their address and put the request in writing.

The fact that it's out of statute doesn't mean it will be taken off your credit report or that you don't owe the money. It simply means they can no longer sue you for it. Once this collection agency backs off a second one will probably take its place.

Statute is determined by the last activity on the account - use of the account or payment. Have you made a payment within the past two years?

Jul 16, 2009, 08:06 AM

I have made no payments in the past two years. Will this stay on my credit report forever? I also don't feel I owe what they say I do, what do I do about that?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

It will stay on your credit report until it's paid or for (depends) 7 to 10 years.

You could dispute the amount but I don't see the point in spending the time/energy if you don't intend to pay the debt anyway.

Is this the first attempt to collect from you?

Jul 16, 2009, 08:51 AM

They say it isn't, but it's the first I've heard anything about it. They are for charges in which an ex used without my knowledge. This is the first I've heard anything about it, but they may have tried to contact me at my old residence and possibly spoken with him. Is it best to just suck it up and pay it? I imagine it would be pretty hard to prove at this point in time that he used the card without permission or knowledge.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 09:20 AM

You can always negotiate a payment amount - make an offer or 50%, go up to 60%, see what they will take in full settlement - pay it and THEN sue your "ex" in Small Claims Court .

The only way to get it off your credit report is, of course, to pay it.

Jul 16, 2009, 09:43 AM

I don't feel like I would sue him, but I will definitely try to get my money back. Thanks for all your help.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2009, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meiko View Post
    I don't feel like I would sue him, but I will definately try to get my money back. Thanks for all your help.

Please come back and let us know how this works out for you - a lot of people end up paying when they are co-signers, their card is used without their permission and so forth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ontario Canada & Collection Agency ?'s [ 10 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada and have outstanding student loans from 1998. I am also a discharged bankrupt as of 2002... I know that the student loans are not erased by the bankruptcy. I am dealing with 2 differenct collection agency's. Due to the bankruptcy and now being separated from my husband...

Debt collection in ontario canada [ 1 Answers ]

With regard to my previous post, even though I am making regular monthly payments, can the agency still take further actions against me?

I live in Ontario Canada. I have been making regular monthly payments to a debt collection agency for about 2 years on a student loan, previously held by a bank, that went into arrears. The collection agency periodically calls me and asks if my situation has changed or if I can increase the...

Debt collection in Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

We are a California based company attempting to collect in Ontario Canada. Can anyone share their experience getting licensed in Ontario?

Is there a time frame that a company has to come after you about a debt? I am being asked to pay immediately a debt from a college in 1999. Do I have to pay this, and if not, how do I go about it.?

View more questions Search