Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3-2-1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 03:31 AM
    Indpendant 16 year old with travel bug
    :confused: What would you do if your 16 year old son informed you that he was going to live in Thailand for a period - with a 1 way ticket, no income, no savings, not knowing anyone over,not having any where to stay but anticipating a grand adventure and lots of fun?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 03:36 AM

He won't make it back! I'm sure that is your fear it is mine. Thailand is having a problem with children being kidnapped and used in sex trade there. I googled Thailand, kidnap, sex trade, news and got plenty of results. You can keep him from getting a passport till you think he is responsible, or at least he is of age.
    lilangus Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2009, 03:36 AM

I'd tell him he's out of his mind.
    You're his parent. He can't do it unless you let him... lol... of course.
    Surely you can wake him up, and make him understand the dangers and difficulties and whatnot.
    I drove across country from Nashville to Santa Barbara, CA when I was 18... my parents made sure I saved enough money and had a good running vehicle... had to take my older cousin with me... other things. Then it was fine with them.
    3-2-1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2009, 04:55 PM

I have convinced him not to go. So all will be well - until the next idea is formulated!! Thanks for your input, I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and adventures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

51 year old Greek with a US green card no military service, can I travel to Greece [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 51 year old Greek citizen with a US green card, I've lived in the United States for 38 years. I've been told by a relative who recently travelled to Greece that, if I ever travel to Greece upon arrival I will be obligated to pay a fine of $3,000US dollars and serve 40 days in the military. ...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

Travel expenses deduction for L1 visa (less than 1 year) [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, My sister, Indian citizen worked for WMC direct (Burbank) from Aug 12th 2005 to June 12th 2006 with an L1 visa. According to publication 519, pg 28, Chapter 5, if a temporary assignment lasts less than 1 year, ordinary and necessary travel expenses as well as lodging(rent paid...

View more questions Search